please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

My KT..

Hawks, Eagles, Owls, Osprey etc.

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

disgruntled

My KT..

Postby disgruntled » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:56 pm

She is a five year old female Harris Hawk. Grumpy old bat that she is... icon-smile
Slave to the menagerie and loving it...
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My KT..

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:09 pm

She's beautiful. You must just love having her.

Does she have a name?

I take it you're into falconry. What kind of falconry do you do? Do you mainly fly her around, or do you use her to hunt?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
disgruntled

Postby disgruntled » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi, her name is KT. When I got her she was called Hetty but I already have a Hetty so it had to be changed. She is a hunting bird but I have not yet hunted with her. I am a novice falconer and I acquired her from a friend of my Mentor George. I have been going out hunting with him and learning stuff since about October last year and was given KT on loan to gain experience of keeping a bird in november.
Needless to say I wanted her and she is now my bird. The season is over now and the moult is starting so nothing much happening till september!

I do want to hunt her as this is what these birds do, but it's more about trying for me than how much she can catch. The rabbits have as much chance of escaping as she has of catching them and if we do kill, it will come home with us to be food for KT, Pooka or Sen, the dog.
I am very much against trophy hunting, game shooting and especially fox hunting and some people feel I am a hypocrite. I can only say that hunting with hawks the chase is quick and often not successful! The rabbit if caught is killed by the human quickly and humanely, not by the bird and often in an area where people are snowed under with rabbits. I would never kill anything that we could not eat to be honest.
Talys

Postby Talys » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:50 pm

@.@ So beautiful...xD I'm am quite honored that something so gorgeous shares my name shorthand-wise. I'm also STOKED that someone else here is into and already practicing falconry. I attempted to get into it, but the guy who was willing to mentor me, and who did in a way, lives on the other side of PA and the PGC still haven't gotten me the materials I need to study for the permit =< oh well...Foxes and falconry. EPIC!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
BB

Postby BB » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:45 pm

How beautiful! Keep us updated with the progress you (and her) make! How old is she, and how old do they get?
disgruntled

Postby disgruntled » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:32 am

She is five and could live to twenty five. Talys, I am on the IFF and it is a great forum for learning about falconry and there are many US members. I suggest you join and have a look round it. Ignore the snooty ones though, some people on there have very fixed ideas about things!
KT is moulting now for the summer so won't be doing anything at all until the early autumn, when the season starts again. I'm hoping to catch a few bunnies with her, but whenever I went out with my mentor, we never caught a thing! So I've never in SEEN a catch yet in real life...
Talys

Postby Talys » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Oh thank you! I wish you all the luck when you start hunting with her again. Snooty people are everywhere unfortunately =.='
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Wow, she is a beautiful bird. My initials are KT (i have no middle name), so that's pretty cool. hehe ;D
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Raptors, Hawks, Eagles, Owls etc.”