https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Topeka May 2014

Dates and information for all type animal sale or auctions

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

broski1984

Re: Topeka May 2014

Postby broski1984 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:39 pm

pat wrote:
broski1984 wrote:Ah, I wasn't aware of that restriction. I should of guessed though, for when I lived in Michigan I remember being told not to get skunks/raccoons from Indiana, despite living practically in Indiana (right on the boarder).

I don't understand why. TT only has a couple states listed on his site that he won't sell to.
I know in PA, people can buy a raccoon with a bill of sale if bought in PA.
but, I have a prop permit, which entitles me buy wherever I want too.

maybe it has something to do with importing. I think MI don't allow buying any animal from another state. :shrug:

Michigan's a bit weird on it. Funny enough, you can import foxes - just not raccoons or skunks.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 pm

I'm sure if you talked to Dave and sent him a copy of your permit he'd be okay with it. He wanted to be sure everything was going well in Utah with the fox law change before he sold me Fable, and wanted to make sure I was setup to get a variance before I went back.

I know he's super busy. I've had a difficult time getting a hold of him through email at this time of year, so it's probably best to call. On his webpage he says that he won't have the colored raccoons until later in the year. So you might still be able to reserve a black one from him a little later if you did decide to go that route.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm

That's Michigan's back door to banning certain species.
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:33 pm

Sorry for the wordy reply.

Day one was the non-exotic poultry, peafowl, swans, pheasants, goats, sheep, cattle, and swine.

Not as many birds as usual (usually there's about 8 carts; 5 this time), more goats/sheep than usual. Prices were high on all animals.

Chickens/rabbits/guineas/turkeys/geese/ducks were all about flockswap/Craigs List prices, but cheaper than "retail".

Pheasants and peacocks were higher than flockswaps/Craigs list.

Swans were $200-250 each, which is apparently not a horrible price.

Goats were $25-75 for bottle babies, $100-200 for fiber animals, $75-250 for meat animals, $75-200 for weaned dairy; a few ratty goats at the start went for $25 and some of the pygmies went for under $50. Most of the pygmies/nigerians/fainters went for $75-100. Hair sheep were $45-100 for ewes and $125-350 for rams; wool sheep were $75-150 for ewes and $50-200 for rams.

Some animals were clearly higher than "retail" prices, with an angora bottle baby going for $130, a sickly (runty, not diseased) bottle baby ram going for $90 and a "about as much a purebred Boer goat as I am" boer buck going for $600. A pregnant babydoll ewe went for well over $250, although I didn't hear the last bid. Made me wish I'd gone to Shipshewana or Rochester the week before and picked up some animals to sell there.

Miniature cattle were "decently" priced. Zebus were $250-500, Highlanders $300-600. Two miniature herefords brought almost $3000 each, but were from excellent lines.

Pigs were grossly over priced, at least for the venue. Every other time I've gone, they've been $2-20 for adult hogs, with most being under $10; the cheapest one went for $40, the most expensive $90. Ironically, none of them looked worth it. The sows (6) were pregnant, but enormous and untame (as well as being grossly obese), the boar was aggressive and the only other pig (a small boar) had mites.

Over all:
Prices drastically benefited the seller. Glad on one hand (consigned my herd of hair sheep, made $600 on 6 animals), bit upset on the other. I usually leave with a trailer full of cheap animals to keep or flip, but only bought a pair of rabbits this year. Not the bargains I'm used to at all. Many animals were 30-50% more than they usually are.

Crowd was smaller. Lots of new faces. All the regulars were there, but not many Amish (untypical; they're usually about half the crowd). Lots of country/farmer-types, lots of city folk. City people were dropping big bucks on animals they did not seemingly know how to handle. The most expensive pig went to someone who came in a sedan and also bought bottle baby goats (and the sickly ram), without knowing the ram wasn't a goat as well.

Exotics go through tomorrow. So far, there are:
3 yaks (all cows)
3 camels (1 bull, 2 cows)
1 Dromedary (cow)
1 Zebra (stud)
6-7 baby raccoons
2 emu
1 ostrich
7-10 rhea
3 audads

Some petshop animals, parrots, equine, llamas and alpacas. Less than have been there in prior years. Hopefully more will be consigned tomorrow.

Many of the "big spenders" had 1 day tickets. Hoping prices are better for buyers tomorrow and that the emu do not go for something outrageous. Also have my eye on a sweet but very skinny and skittish mammoth jack there.

@Pat:
My family friend at the auction (Lavern Yoder, one of the men who runs the place) did not know of any breeders in Ohio. He knows of some in Indiana, and has a few of his own to sell. If you want, I'll give you his contact information. He usually can help people get things imported, and will sell out of state. Indiana has no laws preventing exportation, according to him.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks for posting that. That's good to know the prices there on some of the animals. Is that a typical auction there, as far as you know?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:23 pm

@Ash
It isn't; I've been going for almost three years now, and the market is unpredictable. Sometimes it is very buyer friendly; this is the first time it has been all leaning towards the seller. Usually there's one "group" of animals that goes astronomically high (donkeys one year, piglets another, etc.) but this year everything was on the high end. First time I've ever seen goats/sheep go high, as usually they're well below the prices at other auctions unless they're "special".

Day Two Summary

Opened with cages/misc. on the outside and taxidermy/misc. on the inside. Cages and outside items went very cheap due to cold, wet weather; not many people went outside. However, there was a very limited selection of items. Usually there are three rows; this time, one and a half.

Taxidermy was lower than in years prior, with head-only mounts going for between $30-90 for deer and $80-400 for elk and african stock. Skulls went high. Other misc. went high.

Followed with the re-sale of a brahmin steer and a highland bull from yesterday who the person had been unable to pay for. Both resold high, but lower than the day before. Unsure how that went for the seller, but as someone who usually sells things there, I can say probably not well. The auction is more buyer friendly than seller friendly.

Some late chickens and goats sold, higher than usual but less than the day before. Followed with alpacas/llamas which were still less than "retail" but higher than years before.

Alpacas (suri) went for $40-200, with males being on the low end; regular alpacas went for $60-200 with males again on the low end. None were papered. Llamas went for under $125.

A typical year has males going for under $25 unless papered or young. Babies always go high.

Camels came next. The regular camels (one hump) went for $4500, $6000, and $5500 respectively; the two-hump went for $7k and no-saled. She was broke to ride, the others were not.

Zebra went for 5k. He had sold in October for 9k, but was ungelded then; the new owner had gelded him. It had not improved his temperament, although he was handlable for a zebra.

Donkeys went for $75-300 for miniatures (jennies higher), and a mammoth went for $150. One miniature was almost crippled, sold, buyer tried to return it. Unsure how that went.

Miniature horses went for $100-700 with a pair (sold as one piece) going for the highest. Cute mother/daughter pair, registered. Probably not a bad price for pintos? Unsure.

Yaks sold for $550, $700 and $900; previously, they had never hit $300. Yaks not popular here? I know those aren't bad prices.

Emus went for $175 each. Ostritch went for $900. Rheas went for $175-300 each.

Raccoons went for $40-200, with regular males being the cheapest. Bottle babies.

Skunk went for $200; never seen an adult one go that high before.

Hedgehogs went for $45-90, with some no-saling. Chinchillas $35-150. Guinea pigs $4-27.50. Parrots were high, as were parakeets, but I don't remember specific prices.

Bottle babies went for $30-110, with a ram being the highest and a lamancha buck being the lowest.

Kinkajous went for about $1100 each, with one pregnant female hitting $1600.

No coatis, no foxes.

Coyotes (pups) no saled at $400.

Two wallabies went for $4500 each, one was on the bottle.

Two snakes went for $30 each. Two waterdragons for $25 each.

Were rats, turtles, flying squirrels, a single sugar glider, and baby pigs. Unsure of how much any of them went.

Warm room was less high-end than the rest of the sale; in prior years, some of those animals would of gone for more.

Over all, still a good day for sellers everywhere but there. Even then, aside from the raccoons and coyotes, prices were average or just a little under.
inkslinger407

Postby inkslinger407 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Does anyone know when the next Topeka sale is? And does anyone have a website or contact number for them? Thank you for your help.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:53 pm

How did I miss this thread? Thank you Broski for that break down, I wish I could read something like that for all auctions. I really liked the sound of those prices, maybe I won't write off auctions after all.

I really need to hear details about that north Florida auction from someone who went. Such a shame the Okeechobee auction closed (last I heard).

p.s. by Dromedary (one cow) you mean Bactrian. 7k and she was broke to ride? Wonder how old she was and were her humps standing up and correct? If so and not an ancient animal, that was a good price.

2 to 20 dollars for adult hogs?? Why so low? There has to be more meat then 20 dollars worth on an adult hog. Or was this people bringing in feral wormed filled hogs out of traps?

All the auctions around here is mostly poultry and rabbits. The one time I had to take a load of goats to auction I think I averaged 65 dollars each for a group of mixed size weanlings.
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Nicophorus wrote:How did I miss this thread? Thank you Broski for that break down, I wish I could read something like that for all auctions. I really liked the sound of those prices, maybe I won't write off auctions after all.

What may make you like them better is that this is the most expensive Topeka has ever been. Usually, goats, sheep, pigs, llamas, alpacas, equine and the smaller animals all go very cheaply - but a lot of new people drove up the prices!

Nicophorus wrote:p.s. by Dromedary (one cow) you mean Bactrian. 7k and she was broke to ride? Wonder how old she was and were her humps standing up and correct? If so and not an ancient animal, that was a good price.

She was in good shape, Amish owned and raised. Five years old, I believe, and very friendly. It's been some time so I may be off on the details, but she wasn't old or unhealthy.

Nicophorus wrote:2 to 20 dollars for adult hogs?? Why so low? There has to be more meat then 20 dollars worth on an adult hog. Or was this people bringing in feral wormed filled hogs out of traps?

Usually, they only sell pot bellied pigs at Topeka. Occasionally, they'll have other exotic hogs and I have seen them sell papered meat breeds before as well. Most people generally do not eat pot bellied pigs (the meat is very dry and flavorless), so they're useless for anything other than pets/breeding unless your standards are low.

The pigs they bring in are generally in fair shape, although more than any other animal I see mistreated pigs. At Topeka, $20 will usually get you freshly bred/open sows and good looking boars; $30 will get you sows ready to pop. If it's either thin, obese, large, wild (and an adult) or an unattractive boar, it isn't unheard of for them to go as low as $2 or no-sale.

Granted, pot bellied pigs are hard to re-sell as adults, but I had been making decent profit doing it here. Take them home, deworm them, bathe them, list them on CL for $75 as pets/breeding stock. Or, I'd been keeping the smaller females to breed for piglets (which I can take to Topeka and sell at $100 each).

But this spring the prices were insane! Again, new people drove them up. A lot of people got them for pets, I imagine.

To break it down on pigs, I've bought:
- A crippled boar for $2, bought out of pity
- An older, thin but healthy (and petting zoo-friendly) sow for $2, also out of pity
- A blue-eyed VERY small sow (35 pounds, healthy) for $6
- A medium-sized spotted sow, healthy (and petting-zoo friendly) for $5
- A medium-sized white sow, healthy but wild, for $2
- A small, tame boar for $8
- And my best purchase: a thin, ratty black sow for $4 out of pity; turned out to be pregnant to a Julianna boar, had four piglets, made $600 on them as she had them right before Christmas.

So, it was needless to say the prices shocked me, haha!
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:09 pm

inkslinger407 wrote:Does anyone know when the next Topeka sale is? And does anyone have a website or contact number for them? Thank you for your help.

The next one is October 3rd and 4th.
This is their website: http://www.topekalivestock.com/exotic-a ... ction.html
If you have questions, call Lavern or Tye. Lavern is the more experienced exotic animal owner, and personally, I feel the friendlier of the two. Their number (it is shared; Lavern is Amish) is at the bottom.

Return to “Animal AUCTIONS/SALES”