ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

mt hope 2011

Dates and information for all type animal sale or auctions

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Gumby_Batman

mt hope 2011

Postby Gumby_Batman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:23 am

does anyone know when mt hope is selling exotics this year? i would really love to go!!!
proud owner of 2 border collies, a mix breed dog, mini donkey, 2 hamsters, 3 chinchillas, a bearded dragon, and a turtle
Lasergrl

Re: mt hope 2011

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:35 am

Trefoil

Re: mt hope 2011 primate/ ban

Postby Trefoil » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 am

Is the ban a done deal or? The auction flyer says to call before the sale to find out if its in effect. It also gives the contact information to protest the ban.
Eeyor216

Postby Eeyor216 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:56 am

I was wondering about the ban as well... If anyone hears of them allowing the animals listed as banned in the AFG plz let us know (primates specifically). I was planning on going, but I won't if they are banned. Was hoping to find a pair of marms...
kim
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:05 pm

There is no way to know right now. While ODNR has admitted they will not be enforcing the law, the auction would still abide by it. Also the 90 days will be up right before the auction so it really depends what happens at the end of the 90 days.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 am

did anyone go to mt hope auction?

I am curious as to what they had there.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm

I was there. There were wolf dog pups and a couple bear cubs. Otherwise no one brought anything super exotic because the ban. However then ban was expired and the animals were legal to sell but no one knew that on time. Plenty of small exotics as usual and livestock.
I was bidding on a piglet and when the auctioneer came back to me he asked if I was still in and said yes 3 times. However he must have been dumb because he said the other guy won even though I was still in. Hubby was furious and screamed what the *%$# so if anyone heard that it was us :monk-dev:
I did come home with a nice new bull for next years calves.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 pm

I was wondering about what animals would be there because of all the fireworks about a ban.

bummer about losing the bid for the pigglet icon-sad I would have been p.o. ed too.

I love the bull you got. that is the kind I want minus the horns.
what are they called, I forget? are you going to breed him?

not to be nosey, but what did he go for?

I assume the picture of the three are yours? wow, they are so cute.
now I really want a couple.

want to trade any for a couple mini donkeys?

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 pm

This guy was said to be a highland brahma cross but I think he may be more highland then half.
I already forgot exactly how much he was, something like $325 My fullblooded heifer in the pic cost me $700. She is almost mini but a little too tall.
He is headed for the freezer in the fall, after he has a few dates with the girls. Some people will hate to hear that but bulls are bulls and you dont want one around very long unless you have a death wish......Beside I know he will have had fun till the end.
The highland cow, is due to calve very soon, and she is bred to a zebu. If it is a bull calf I will be dehorning/castrating and bottle feeding it for a pet. If its a heifer it stays. The calf should look like that bull only it wont get near as big.
I dehorn everything i can but dont see a point in doing that to this guy since he isnt here for long.

I had a donkey for a while but they dont fit in here. She kept trying to kill all the newborn lambs because she thought they were intruders!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:01 am

My fullblooded heifer in the pic cost me $700
:shock: I don't know much about these type of cows.

He is headed for the freezer in the fall,
you wouldn't get as much meat from the mini's? guess I think of them as "pets"
I know what you mean about bulls being nasty. but, if you were to keep him as a pet, is it too late to get him fixed? I know they are done differently than dogs and cats. but, guess I don't know at what age is too old. icon_confused.gif

The highland cow, is due to calve very soon, and she is bred to a zebu

wow, what a interesting baby that will be.

I dehorn everything i can but dont see a point in doing that to this guy since he isnt here for long.
makes sense to me. icon_biggin.gif

I had a donkey for a while but they dont fit in here. She kept trying to kill all the newborn lambs because she thought they were intruders!
was it a mini?
that is really strange. my mini's don't bother any of the other animals. there are cats/ducks/geese/chickens.
but, I understand your point, better to be safe than sorry.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:48 pm

Its actually very common for donks to attack things. It must be your karma that everything else gets along :)

There is actually almost the same amount of meat on a mini then on a regular size cow. Truly minis just usually have shorter legs. This bull is not a mini. He is a year old and already weighs 500-600 pounds so he will easily top 1000 pounds. He will probably be a touch bigger then your jersey steer, just more muscle, if he were to reach maturity. This boy is not friendly at all so no point in making him a pet. besides, we bought him for meat ;) after he breeds that is.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Its actually very common for donks to attack things. It must be your karma that everything else gets along
yep, I am lucky they all get along. oscar is one of a kind.
anytime we had baby llamas, he would guard them.
I am really surprised to hear donkeys attack things. I never seen them do that.
they even like my dogs. especially my youngest one, she will stray away from the other donkeys just to try and play with one of the dogs..
I have 5 mini donkeys now :roll: that is too many. I really want to get rid of a couple of them, then get the male neurtered. I am afraid one of the females will breed her father.
what is the outcome with innerbreeding? I remember you saying something about it before.
I just don't know what will happen, if anything.

There is actually almost the same amount of meat on a mini then on a regular size cow
:shock: I am surprised. its funny you mentioned about butchering a mini,
last night I told hubby I would like to have a mini cow or two. he said, "yes, good idea, we can butcher it" I said, NO, they are pets not for food.

This bull is not a mini.
my mistake, I thought he was a mini. he looks small in the picture.

He is a year old and already weighs 500-600 pounds so he will easily top 1000 pounds

wow, that will be a lot of beef.
He will probably be a touch bigger then your jersey steer
now, that will be one big bull.
oscar is pretty big for a dairy. I am 5-5 and oscar is taller than me.

the pictures are from 2009

I have been wanting to get some beef cows. some guy has some and said he has some feeder calves for about 300.00. so, what is the average age of a feeder calf and how long do I have to keep him before he is butchered for a good quantity of meat?
(don't want to get too attached to him) :mrgreen:

I was thinking in the fall? otherwise this guy will have some butchered cows ready in the fall.
I am thinking it might be cheaper for me to raise my own. my animals usually get bread and they have alot to graze in the summer, then we get big bales of hay for the winter months..
Attachments
oscar6.jpg
oscar4.jpg

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Animals don't have the same issues with inbreeding humans do. It does double up on the genes so your odds increase some of having something bad but if both parents are healthy your odds are still pretty good to not have anything bad happen but when you have repeated inbreeding it becomes more of a concern.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:54 pm

That's good to know.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Mini breeds that are good for butchering are dexters (the small heifer in the picture foreground is a dexter) and lowline angus. They all cost the same really, $1 a pound live weight is the average right now. Buying the "exotic" cattle at mt hope, the beef is actually 1/2 price. Thats why I couldnt refuse that bull, plus he will breed my cows before he goes so you cant beat that.
The hairy cows, scottish highlands, are small but not mini. They really almost are though. Dexters are considered mini. This bull is a little bigger because of the brahma he has in him. I actually didnt know he wasnt pure until after I bought him but I still like him.
If you buy a "feeder calf" from him it should be ready by fall so you dont have to feed him through winter. Doubt you will get attached. They arent like jerseys. The beef calves are usually quite wild and not friendly (usually because the way they are raised). jerseys are really the sweetest breed there is. You can feed the calf the hay and that will make meat that is healthier for you but it wont be like if you fed him corn (alot of corn) with the hay. It will taste a touch like venison. I dont mind it but some people do.
If you want a pet mini cow that is affordable you might look into the dexters. You can get a heifer, have her artificially inseminated with jersey or dexter, and keep or eat the calf. Dexter meat is supposed to be some of the best. I really like mine. Hopefully she will have a cute "high-dex" calf next year :)
There probably would be any issue with the jenny being bred by her father. people avoid brother/sister matings but one generation of father daughter should be no problem. In fact I bet you would almost certainly get more rose grey colored ones like your last baby jenny.

Return to “Animal AUCTIONS/SALES”