mt hope 2011

Dates and information for all type animal sale or auctions

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: mt hope 2011

Postby pat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:05 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Animals don't have the same issues with inbreeding humans do. It does double up on the genes so your odds increase some of having something bad but if both parents are healthy your odds are still pretty good to not have anything bad happen but when you have repeated inbreeding it becomes more of a concern.

that certainly is good to know. I had visions of donkeys being born with 3 legs or two heads :lol:

now, the only draw back I see, is, if I wanted to get an inbred donkey papers.

I really must get these two males fixed. I was hoping to get rid of the male,
there were two people that claimed they were interested, but, no one is following thru. icon_confused.gif

I guess I will just put an ad in the paper. I worry they won't go to good homes.
I would never make it as a breeder.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:17 pm

lg,

never heard of a dexter. all three of those cows are really adorable.
I really like the ones with the long fur (scottish highlands).

Buying the "exotic" cattle at mt hope, the beef is actually 1/2 price.

I am really surprised, I would have thought the mini ones would be more money.

is the mini ones disposition any different than the standard ones?
I wouldn't think so.

If you buy a "feeder calf" from him it should be ready by fall

thats pretty much what I thought. I just found out, the calf weighs about 300-400lbs

Doubt you will get attached.
don't be too sure :lol:

glad you told me about the corn. I didn't know that.
should I still give the calf hay in conjunction with grazing?

appreciate the info about the dexter cows. I can have the both of best worlds with them.
have a pet, and some meat :mrgreen:

people avoid brother/sister matings

unfortunately, I will not know if the brother and sister mated. I am hoping
I won't see more than 1 baby this year.
what happens with brother/sister mating?

thank you for all the great info
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Brother sister (potentially)share more dna in common than parent/offspring because they both share dna from both parents where as with parent/offspring it's just half.

*Potentially because, they only inherit half the genes from each parent, so theoretically they could have zero dna in common by inheriting genes all opposite from each other from the parents or be identical twins both inherit all the same. The real odds are they will have lots of genes in common(over half) this increases the chance of having genes doubled, when recessive genes double that is where most of the problems come from. So the odds of bad things is higher than parent/child. You're highly unlikely to see things like extra limbs. The number one problem in inbred animals is deceased fertility. You might see things like heart or other organ problems. I don't know much about donkey illnesses but whatever genetic diseases are most common for them is what you would want to look out for.

The odds are still not terrible that a baby would be okay(it depends on their genetic history) but it is best avoided.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 am

Inbreeding weakens the offspring. Its usually only used as a means of providing breeding stock for out crosses. If you don't want your jenny bred and aren't ready yet to castrate your jack, the vet can give him a hormone shot that will chemically castrate him temporarily ( on my stud it lasted a breeding season and allowed me to pasture him with young males without him attacking them as well). Your Oscar is looking great. I was surprised that a donkey would attack livestock young as they are often used like dogs and llamas to protect breeding herds of sheep. I didn't realize they had to be trained to do so. You learn something new. My information on the big round bales of hay is old, so maybe a way has been found to neutralize the potential problem, but if not, be careful feeding it because it can contain a substance that causes spontaneous abortions in livestock. It was a big scandal a few years after Michigan State pushed their use.
foxyjax1212

Postby foxyjax1212 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Are there usually reptiles at Mt. Hope?
[color=#FF40BF]Loved by my husband Wesley and Owned by my critters:
Bella- OurTeacup Chihuahua
Pyper-OurYorkie
Cozmo- Green Cheek Conure
Slash- Our Caramel Corn Snake
Brain/Pinkie/Chance/Hope/Trinity (lol) - Our tiny baby mouse
Jack- Our Sugar Glider (RIP Sally)[/color]
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:09 pm

usually not a lot, but there are always (so far anyway) turtles and at least a few snakes a couple of alligators (usually small ones) and sometimes some lizards. They are in the trailer behind the warm room with the mice,rats,hamsters,ect.

Return to “Animal AUCTIONS/SALES”