Mexican Spinytailed Iguana

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mexican Spinytailed Iguana

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm going to be sending pictures of Steel's legs and tail to some knowledgeable pectinata breeders... Probably Ty Park and Kelly Paul. I really can't tell if he is male or female. His femoral pores aren't pronounced, don't have waxy plugs (even though it is breeding season), and his bulges are not pronounced. I mean, if I look hard enough, I think I can see bulges maybe. But I really don't know. Compared to Fault and Phoenix (who are teensy compared to Steel) he has no equipment, lol.

And really, his body build looks more female. His spikes are very small, he doesn't have giant jowls (that's more a green iguana thing, but still).

I'll post some pics of his "manly" (rather, "not so manly") parts here once I get them off my phone to see if anybody else has input. Maybe I'm just being hopeful.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Just an update, he's definitely a boy. Not sure why I was so hopeful back then!
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:43 pm

So an update on the iguanas finally!

I'm breeding Steel and Ice this year. I've already seen mating behavior, and he may have already mated her when I wasn't around to see it. Steel has been mounting her and biting her head and neck to secure her and inching his tail closer to hers. I haven't seen a successful mating, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened yet. :)

I'm starting to prep for eggs. Time to get the incubator out and running. Pectinatas can lay up to 50 eggs, so I will have to decide if I am going to hatch them all or not. It would be sad to feed off eggs to the monitor--I don't know if I could do it knowing they were fertile--but I don't think it's possible to find responsible homes for all of them. I likely will get about 20 or so eggs from her, but we will see. :) Maybe I will hatch all the eggs though and keep them if they don't find homes.

Phoenix is really beautiful. The stunner of them all. Phoenix has retained all of his bright colors and has grown an impressive crest (as far as pectinata crests go). He's turned into a meanie, but I'm working with him to try and curb that behavior. If you want to get bit by an iguana, he'll gladly do it for you.

Fault has not grown very much, and it's because I've discovered he has worms. I should have suspected sooner, and I feel bad that I hadn't. He's been given dewormer though, and so far I've not seen anymore. But it's hard to find feces in a bio-active enclosure.

The two other girl iguanas that I bought kind of randomly are going to a new home. Phase and Glaze will be going down to a breeder in Texas who is super excited to have them. The two wound up not fitting in with my breeding project so will be in a good place where their genes can be passed on. I feel good about it since they are reptiles. If they were mammals, I wouldn't be rehoming them, but since they're iguanas that have not been super well socialized here, I feel okay about the decision.

So that's the current story with the iguanas. :) Hopefully eggs in the next few months.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Figured out how they got the worms. Iguanas are susceptible to pinworms and usually carry some inside them normally... But the pinworms can get out of control for a number of reasons and multiply.

Feeding lots of fruit makes it bad, and I think that's what did it. In the past I always carefully gave them fruit as a treat, but these past few months they've been getting tons of it--everyday, lots with their greens. And their humidity got raised, so that could have aided the pinworm eggs too.

Steel has been digging a lot in the dirt which would make him more susceptible to getting them since that's where his waste falls. He's been dulling and losing weight all of a sudden, and it's obviously the worms.

So everybody is getting panacur! I was really nervous to start the deworming process since I don't want to do it wrong. But after talking with some iguana rescues that deworm all the time, I feel a lot more confident about it. Steel was the worst of them all though, so I took him to the vet and got him on some "official" panacur.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”