PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Is it normal for Reptiles to be unactive during shedding?

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Is it normal for Reptiles to be unactive during shedding?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 pm

My Bearded Dragon is shedding right now but hes been inactive almost all day today and also has a lack of appetite and only ate 5 crickets today and didn't want anymore when he usually eats around 10 to 20. He didn't eat his Collard Greens either and just wanted to go in his corner and rest which is unusual cause he never slept during the day. But he did get up a few times running around the tank trying to get his shed off but I think that drained all his energy as he seemed very tired again and wanted to sleep. Is shedding a painful process for lizards because I think that explains why hes not eating so much I hope he starts eating more again soon his new skin color coming through is like a beautiful gold yellowish color now than his dark brown/grayish skin he had.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it normal for Reptiles to be unactive during shedding

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 am

Yeah, they feel uncomfortable when they shed and aren't very active. Snakes will just sit in one spot the whole time. My ball python Jones just shed two days ago, and he sat in his hide for two weeks straight going through the whole thing. He never left it, just stayed there bemoaning his fate, ha. :lol:

The day he shed, he was cruising all over the place looking for food. i knew before I found his skin in his hide that he must have shed because he was out of his hide. It came off in one piece, so I'm doing well keeping the humidity up (that's always been a challenge for me).

Just keep an eye out and make sure he gets all the shed off. ;) If he's lethargic after his shed, that might be a sign of something. But my guess is he'll be back to his old self once he gets all that skin off.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 am

Ash wrote:Yeah, they feel uncomfortable when they shed and aren't very active. Snakes will just sit in one spot the whole time. My ball python Jones just shed two days ago, and he sat in his hide for two weeks straight going through the whole thing. He never left it, just stayed there bemoaning his fate, ha. :lol:

The day he shed, he was cruising all over the place looking for food. i knew before I found his skin in his hide that he must have shed because he was out of his hide. It came off in one piece, so I'm doing well keeping the humidity up (that's always been a challenge for me).

Just keep an eye out and make sure he gets all the shed off. ;) If he's lethargic after his shed, that might be a sign of something. But my guess is he'll be back to his old self once he gets all that skin off.
Yea Ill have to watch out for that but the good news is he was still quite active he just didn't want to eat much. 5 Crickets a day should be enough for a day I would think because I don't think a wild Bearded Dragon would be able to find 10 or 20 crickets everyday in the open deserts of Australia and they still grow and such. He was also eating a piece of his shed too he cocked his head sideways at it like he was curious what it is then he just went NOM NOM on it since I didn't think he would eat his shed lol.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:15 am

Geckos will eat their sheds, and I believe lizards do as well. Not eating is normal too when they're shedding. My snakes will fast themselves during their sheds and will refuse all their meals. This includes my aggressive kingsnake that gobbles down anything in his path--be it a pinkie, a rat, or my arm (though he doesn't get too far with that :icon-wink: ).
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Ash wrote:Geckos will eat their sheds, and I believe lizards do as well. Not eating is normal too when they're shedding. My snakes will fast themselves during their sheds and will refuse all their meals. This includes my aggressive kingsnake that gobbles down anything in his path--be it a pinkie, a rat, or my arm (though he doesn't get too far with that :icon-wink: ).
Also does shedding usually mean hes growing? My Bearded Dragons still small but he is getting bigger hes like just as long as my hand now compared to when he was a dinky little guy when I first got him. lol And good news hes back to his normal self today except he won't eat his veggies right now like he used too he just wants the crickets and worms.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Yeah, when they shed their skin it means they're growing. ;)

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”