PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Lizard Crazy!

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lizard Crazy!

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:08 am

I have lizard craziness! I have lately just re-fallen in love with them again--everything from tegus, to monitors, to iguanas, to beardies! There's just something about them that is just so alluring to me, and I think they are all super cute and cool animals.

Green iguanas are actually starting to come into their own with color morphs. There's still only a few, but they are breath-taking... Blue axanthics, T- and T+ albinos, red (not the typical reds you see in the stores with green bellies, these are super red), hypo, and now they're combining these together to even start getting white ones (blizzards). They think they'll be able to start making pinkish ones and purplish ones with the colors they have at their disposal. And then of course there's the wild-type green coloration. I didn't realize they came in such a neat assortment of colors! I may have to have some iguana exhibits one day to show off all the pretty different colors. They're still super expensive though!

I've just been fascinated by the water monitors as well. The only color morphs they come in are the wild-type and the "black dragon." The black dragons are usually solid black, but they are gorgeous. But, naturally, the black ones are super expensive like the iguana colors are.

Tegus seem like they can sometimes be super "affectionate" animals. I've been reading up on them and asking tegu owners questions about them lately. :) The Argentine tegus are my favorite since they get biggest. The Chacoan subspecies gets big.

And of course, the classic bearded dragon still holds my interest. I don't know if anything will ever match up to a beardie as far as personality goes. They get a fun size too.

The thing that intimidates me with the bearded dragon and iguana is that they require the UVB light. Maybe that's a silly thing to be intimidated by, but those plant eaters seem to have more precise needs than the others.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some of my lizard interests. ;) Komodo dragons have always been of interest too, but they're endangered, so not feasible.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Re: Lizard Crazy!

Postby minervasden » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:22 pm

What about UVB lighting intimidates you? Or is it just a generally anxiety based on fear of making a mistake. As long as you've done your research from reputable sources there is no reason to worry.

Tegus are great personality wise. Well most of them. I've had several and worked with more.

I've never had the pleasure of owning or working with a water monitor. My father was supposed to buy me one (he saw wild ones and enjoyed them) but he never did. I special ordered one through a pet store I was working at. They were out of waters and through the wonderful reserved right of substitution I received a nile.

I find beardies ok. I neither love nor dislike them. Iguanas definately are not my favorite but I have tons of experience with them by way of rescue work. You can have them all icon-smile Ok I admit there were a few characters that I liked.

How do you feel about skinks? I've always thought they are a bit underrated unless one such as a blue tongue or prehensile tailed. I like skinks and find them rather personable.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Hey why no love for savannahs? Ha, I just got one a few months ago and its so funny. I would say more personality then my tegu had.
I also have some side blotched lizards and fence swifts. The side blotched lizard are little characters. The males are too funny. Just little tiny $10 lizards.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

What about UVB lighting intimidates you? Or is it just a generally anxiety based on fear of making a mistake. As long as you've done your research from reputable sources there is no reason to worry.

It's mostly worrying I'll make a mistake. Some people say the UVB lights need to be replaced every year, some say every six months, some say four months. I'm just worried that something would go wrong and then my poor little lizard would get MBD. It's something I need to just "get over" though. I think a beardie would probably be great as a first time lizard since they're so available, docile, and get a fun size. There's always plenty of beardies up for rehoming in my area.

I special ordered one through a pet store I was working at. They were out of waters and through the wonderful reserved right of substitution I received a nile.

How was the nile? Would you recommend them?

I haven't looked much into skinks, though I like how they look. Have you had good experiences with them? What are their personalities like?

Hey why no love for savannahs? Ha, I just got one a few months ago and its so funny. I would say more personality then my tegu had.

Heehee, I hadn't looked much at them since the water monitors caught my eye initially. The other day I was at a friend's, and she has a savannah monitor. It seemed super sweet and only wanted to be handfed, lol. And it was a fun, good size. I'll have to look into them more. Hers got along great with her iguana--even when she separated them, they'd somehow figure out how to get out of their enclosures and they'd wind up together again.

I haven't heard of those other lizards you've mentioned. I'll have to look into those too. I like the "big ones," but then again, beardies aren't huge. And I like geckos (well, leopard geckos). So I shouldn't hesitate to take a look at the smaller species. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:58 am

Niles:
I had 4 niles all from hatchlings. The first was actually an ornate but they were all just niles back then. The ornate was ok. Became conditioned to basic handling but he never was what most might consider 'pet' quality. Always on his worst behavior around other people of course.
#2 & #4 remained mean little stinkers in spite of the work put into them.

#3 was high flight/low flight and my little sweetheart. Never once offered to bite. The worst incident with her was I had her out and the door suddenly opened. I received a monitor feces shower. I had to place her when we moved into this house. Sad, but she was purchased by a reptile education show. I tried to donate her when I found out, but they insisted on paying for all the work put into her.

As far as recommending-it really depends on what you are looking for. When you are ready for a larger lizard that requires some work to tame and may not become truly tame-then yes a nile will work.

Skinks:
Skinks are active and inquisitive. Alot are still imports so be careful when purchasing. Good variety of sizes from xsmall to blue tongues and prehensile tailed. Even the high flight smaller wild caughts once accliimated take to hand feeding. Generally( in my experience and as with most lizards) the larger the skink the more interaction/handling to be tolerated or initiated by the lizard.
Oh and they have strong jaws and bites should they decide you need a chomping.

I like them and once again think they are a bit underrated. I've had a variety of skink species enjoyed them all. Only had one die shortly after receiving it and it was a red sided (cheap imports) that was given to me in poor condition.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 am

I'm kind of feeling the same way. I was really bummed when I had to give up my water monitor and vowed that I would get another one, some day. Right now my life is kind of in limbo, so I'll have to wait until things get better.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks, Minervasden! That's really helpful info. :)

KingOBeat, yeah, I know what you mean. For my birthday I'm asking for my first drill, lol (yes, I'm a girl, and I'm super excited to get a drill!). I'm hoping to build an enclosure for something--just don't know what yet.
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:43 pm

How about a Frilled Lizard? Those look cool I hear their care is pretty similar to Bearded Dragons.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:01 pm

They are really neat too. :) There are a LOT of underappreciated lizard species out there.

Also want to add Sailfins. :) They are amazing. I've been speaking to some sailfin breeders lately about their care. Mostly I'm interested in Hydrosaurus Amboinensis, but the others are cool too. I like the dusky, dark-colored ones a lot. And the males are stunning since they get the bigger tail fins. Really cool-looking animals and hard to come by.
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Ash wrote:They are really neat too. :) There are a LOT of underappreciated lizard species out there.

Also want to add Sailfins. :) They are amazing. I've been speaking to some sailfin breeders lately about their care. Mostly I'm interested in Hydrosaurus Amboinensis, but the others are cool too. I like the dusky, dark-colored ones a lot. And the males are stunning since they get the bigger tail fins. Really cool-looking animals and hard to come by.
Oh yea those are cool too and Chinese Water dragons! :) I would love an Australian Frilled Lizard but I hear those are super rare and are expensive and they get much bigger than the New Guinea Frilled Lizards around 3 feet I think. The New Guinea Frilled Lizards are the ones I guess that are sold in pet stores mostly and they don't get as big as the Australian Frilled lizard.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:36 pm

As far as geckos go, I like leopard geckos and eublepharis hardwickii. Not sure if I spelled that right. The e. hardwickii I've posted about before, and I just think they are gorgeous. Surprisingly, I found someone in Utah of all places who breeds and sells them--which was super exciting. There's only a handful of breeders in the USA. They're really pretty little geckos.
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Ash wrote:As far as geckos go, I like leopard geckos and eublepharis hardwickii. Not sure if I spelled that right. The e. hardwickii I've posted about before, and I just think they are gorgeous. Surprisingly, I found someone in Utah of all places who breeds and sells them--which was super exciting. There's only a handful of breeders in the USA. They're really pretty little geckos.
I'd think I'd rather get a Crested Gecko or the worlds meanest Gecko ever the Tokay Gecko but I've been told over and over again Tokays are not for the squeamish nor beginner geckos.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Is this place legit? Cuz I'm suspicious. Leaf tailed geckos are cool though. I know you can get mossy leaf tailed sometimes but they're more delicate than the common ones. Don't know if you can actually get this kind though. I would have guessed not. They actually kind of look legit. I'm just a suspicious person.
http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/geckos ... -sale.html
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:12 pm

They are a real business, but I've read lots of sketchy reviews about them from the herp community--like animals not arriving healthy, getting the wrong animal, being difficult to work with, underhanded marketing (like making fake accounts online and bashing competing companies). They also charge more for female animals but then won't guarantee the sex--if they can't guarantee that, they shouldn't be charging more, in my opinion.

Generally people say not to buy from them, but they do have a large variety of animals, and a lot of people have had good experiences with them. I'd just be hesitant because of all the reviews that are negative about them.

I'm pretty sure they are brokers too, so don't actually own the animals they are selling. That bothers a lot of people because they can't provide pictures of the actual animals that are for sale.

TG, if you join the group on facebook "Rare Reptiles Classifieds" you see a lot of interesting animals like the satanic leaf tailed geckos. I was able to find breeders of all sorts of reptiles that are pretty rare in the trade since they only allow rare reptiles to be posted.

That's where I found a number Eublepharis hardwickii breeders. :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”