PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Western Hognoses!

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Western Hognoses!

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Been busy, so haven't posted anything on this guy, but I got a new hognose snake a few weeks back. :) It belonged to my cousin but is now mine.

When I first saw it several years ago, I was inexperienced with snakes and hognoses, and I thought it was a female. Now that I'm looking at it now, it's a definite male. It's easy to visually sex hognose (one of the few snakes you can sex on sight).

If it was a female, I was definitely keeping her. If it was a male, I was planning on selling him. The first two weeks I was debating whether or not to keep him, but I did decide to in the end. I don't get attached to animals I'm not planning on keeping, but I thought that if I ever did want to get into hognose breeding, this guy would be a good breeder since he's bigger.

He's a LOT bigger than Dragon--probably over twice Dragon's size. Dragon must be a runt or something, haha.

This hognose is just a regular hognose--not a morph, not het for anything. Just pure wildtype. Dragon isn't a morph, but he was line-bred to be redder in color. So both of them are normals, but that's why Dragon appears redder. It's a lot more obvious in person, the color difference.

I named him Smiles, because hognoses always look like they're smiling, heehee. He also has a crooked smile--something a little funny/off with his mouth--but it gives him a bit of character. :) So not a creative "fun" name, but it suits him. He had the weird crooked mouth before my cousins owned him though, and I'm not sure what it is.

He's very active compared to Dragon, but still super tame. For the past few years he's lived with five little kids handling him. So the poor thing is patient and probably loves the break from the kids.

He had always been fed live, but he took frozen/thawed in a heart beat. Very good appetite, like most westerns. As a result though, he does have one or two scars from the live-feedings, but they should go away after more sheds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
the_unstable

Re: Western Hognoses!

Postby the_unstable » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 pm

So cool, congratulations! I still really need to take some quality pics of my guys (or gals, whatever they are) and post. Like for real.

Funny how you say that Westerns always look like they're smiling...I've thought that about my adult sand boa. He's the coolest snake I've ever met.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 pm

Awesome! Is this the one you mentioned you thought was a female originally? Snakes are so tempting to me, but Nathan is still adamant about hating them. :lol:

My friend just got an albino hognose, it's only about 6 inches long right now but he's cute as a button.

This is her picture of him:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Yes. I was inexperienced with hognoses, and since I knew females were bigger, I just assumed that because Dragon was so tiny and "Cherry-polka" (aka Smiles) was so BIG in comparison, that he must have been a female. But now that I know better, it's super obvious.

I like the albino ones. They're cute. :) I have a friend who got an albino earlier this year, and him and his wife have been very happy with it.

I like the anaconda morph. Oh, and the super anaconda is pretty too. And then when you start combining it with other morphs, it gets even cooler.

I think western hognoses are great starter snakes (imo). They're hardy, good eaters, stay tiny, and are irresistibly adorable. Dragon was the first snake my grandma EVER touched, and then she even held him. Also the first snake my mom ever touched. They have their own unique way to charm their way into peoples' hearts. Convince your boyfriend to let you have a hognose, and his opinions will probably change, heehee.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 pm

I think they're adorable as well! If I ever convince Nathan otherwise, it might be thanks to you. He doesn't post on here but I know he does go through the forum and I've pointed him towards your snake posts several times. :)

And, you know, he was never a small animal person. The rats, pigs, ferrets, and buns have convinced him otherwise. He loves them as much as the cats and dogs now.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Wow, I love the colours/pattern on his belly, very cool
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Thank-you. :)

I have a theory as to why Dragon is the size he is and why he is much smaller than Smiles. I know hognoses can vary greatly in size, and maybe he came out of the egg tinier than the rest, but I have a theory that it is because I always fed him pinkies.

It was only recently I realized that they can indeed handle larger prey items (even at THAT small a size), and I feed him fuzzies now. I don't know if feeding him the pinkies (mostly fat) would have stunted his growth or not. Or if now he might actually start growing, since snakes grow based on the amount of food they're fed, whereas mammals are continually growing and needing energy or else become stunted (I know that sentence wasn't entirely correct, but that's just putting it simply).

So I'm going to watch Dragon's size now and also probably start weighing him. I've never weighed the hognoses, just the ball pythons, so it will be interesting to see if he does "grow" more now. But maybe he was just born to be that size.

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”