ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Considering a Tiger Reticulated Python....

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Considering a Tiger Reticulated Python....

Postby Laughing Hyena » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Anyone here know much about these snakes or have one? They are huge!!! But I want one!! From this video they seem pretty docile would I have to feed it Rabbits and Goats and such? lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABBDGQKDRYE
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Considering a Tiger Reticulated Python....

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Most people feed rabbits or extra large rats. They don't need to eat anything too huge and crazy, even though they are capable of swallowing it. Many in captivity become obese due to being fed unnecessarily large prey.

Reticulated pythons come in some beautiful morphs, and get an impressive size (longest snakes on record). As I read more about them though, I learned that they are a handful, and always on the move. The good thing about retics though is that they are not listed on the Lacey Act, so they can still cross state lines, whereas other large species cannot.

So for me, I thought a burmese python would make a better fit, since burms are a lot more docile and lazy, and don't move around a lot like a retic. But that's just personal choice. Since I'm a small girl who lives with my sister, it makes more sense to get something that's more laid-back and easier to handle.

Check out the pied reticulated pythons. They are gorgeous animals. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:02 am

Retics can be a handful when they get large. Do have any experience with large constrictors?
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 pm

As a first snake, retics are definitely not recommended, they are the world's largest snake, their temperament is not as reliable as a burmese for example, and they require a lot in terms of cage size, heating, feeding, etc. if you have kept smaller snakes before you could consider a dwarf or part dwarf retic, they can get from 6 to 16 feet long depending on lineage, the % of mainland and dwarf blood from various lineages, parent's size, diet, sex etc. dwarf animals can be mixed with mainland morphs such as tiger, and because tiger is an incomplete dominant gene, it will express itself visually in the crosses. you could get a 3/4 super dwarf (the smallest of the dwarf varieties) and 1/4 mainland (or even higher % dwarf) tiger male retic, that if maintenance fed as opposed to power feeding/bumping on, should not get much over 8 feet long, and about 15lbs. you could keep it for life on large rats and in a 4' x 2' viv, as opposed to a full mainland, female tiger that could easily get to 18 feet long, over 200lbs, require an 8' x 3' viv at least and require either multiple jumbo or giant rabbits at a time, or ever larger prey like big chickens, other poultry, goats, lambs etc. and don't forget the clean up factor of crapping out a 20lb meal, or the safety concern of keeping a snake large enough that if it was in the wild, would be eating antelope, leopards, crocodiles or even young tigers, and is therefore strong enough to overpower all of these animals..... a human is nothing to them if they take their minds to it.
as much as i love these large snakes the reality is they're not meant for everyone, if you have the money, the space, the resources by way of frozen prey items, the help to handle it once it gets past 10 feet long, and the experience of keeping other large snakes such as boas or burms, then by all means, but it is not something to enter into lightly.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info, naja.

I read that most keepers don't feed them the huge prey items in captivity--because of availability and also because of obesity. Do you know if that's true? That's one of the things I read about them on a different forum from keepers, but everybody has a different way of doing things. I know you can definitely feed them those things, but it sounded like it generally was not advisable. Curious about your opinion on that since you actually keep large constrictors. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Note that there are dwarf versions of the retic, wild forms from different islands.
They are jampea, kayuadi and kalatoa, and I'm not completely sure on the sizes of them (and they are sometimes crossed with the mainland form, at least for morphs), but the jampea is the largest, the "dwarf", while the other two are "super dwarf".

I have looked at them for quite a while but now that I'm seriously considering getting snakes again, I put them aside for now because they seem too active for my taste. Otherwise, they are just as pretty as the mainland retic but much, much more manageable.

Examples:

"Dwarf" retic (jampea?)
Big snake, but still nothing compared to the mainland form.

Not sure what they mean, but they say "50% dwarf retic".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzMrNka_M0Q

Super dwarf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hSyuMFRg0s

Super dwarf x mainland crosses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2UF4WGzDFw

Didn't watch the full last two videos, so I don't know how old those snakes are.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 pm

most people, instead of feeding one large item, will opt to feed smaller items more frequently, or feed multiple small items per feed. the main reasons for doing this are the lack of availability of large prey items like deer, goats, lambs etc, and the logistics of storing frozen items of this size and also of defrosting them. the meat breeds of rabbits get up to 10lbs each, so instead of feeding the snake a 40lb goat to last it over a month or a 70lb pig to last it a few months, they would give it 2 7-10 rabbits every 2 weeks or so. for large mature snakes, feeding large items less often is probably better as they endure the stress put on their bodies less often, however it may not be practical for the keeper to acquire, store, and defrost large items unless they have a huge chest freezer. if you go hunting you could feed fresh shot items of varying sizes including animals that we would traditionally eat (deer, rabbit, turkey, duck etc) but also 'vermin' that would otherwise be wasted like coyotes, foxes, badger, weasel, etc.... as long as you can be sure it hasn't been poisoned.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful info. :) We're watching a friend's boa, and she's a monster, lol. She's very huge, but not an ounce of fat on her--pure muscle. And that's just a boa and they don't get "very large." The large constrictors are amazing.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:28 pm

boas are ridiculous strong though.... a 6 foot long boa would be the same weight or heavier then a 8' burm or a 10' retic, and lb for lb they are stronger too. i was trying to take my very squirrely adult female boa out of her viv, from belly to back she is about 4'' thick, and with an 18'' section of that body wall, she had the very bottom of her body hugging into the 1/2'' lip at the bottom of the viv underneath the door, and that maybe 1/4'' wide, 18'' long strip of body, that wasn't even wrapped around anything but just pressing into a flat surface, was enough to keep me occupied for about 5 minutes trying to wrangle her.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:22 pm

The boa constrictors are definitely awesome, and I'd consider getting one prior to a burm, except that I'd just really like a burm, lol. I want to check out more python species.

There's two boas we're watching--a small male, and then the monster female. She's jumpy and will bite if she sees a fast movement (even steam coming out of the humidifier makes her strike out). It was awesome to handle her though, but you have to gauge her temperament first before you take her out. She has a hook her owner uses when he comes over to care for her, and she's a lot better once she's out of the cage.

The male though is a puppy in comparison.
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info! I thought the green Anaconda was the world's largest snake?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Laughing Hyena wrote:Thanks for the info! I thought the green Anaconda was the world's largest snake?

Yes, heaviest and biggest, but not the world's longest. ;)
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 pm

Holy mackerel! When you said the pic was going to be of a 'dwarf' snake, I did not expect such a huge snake! Now I have to google reticulated pythons to find out how big they truly are haha
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:19 pm

The mainlands get huge... Here's a perfect video to show you what they're like. This is a female though, so she will be bigger than the males will be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABBDGQKDRYE It's the perfect video to adequately show off their true size.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:51 am

She is big but I must admit, I'm having trouble seeing the difference between her and the dwarf in the picture above. I'm not very good at judging comparative size when the two aren't right beside each other. How big would a mainland be in relation to a dwarf? 2x? 1.5x?

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”