PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tricolour hognose!

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FrothingMagpies

Tricolour hognose!

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:59 pm

About two months ago I got my first snake, after wanting one for a while. I really love western hognoses & ball pythons & was debating with myself on which would be better to start out with when my friend told me about someone he knew who was looking to rehome a few snakes as her son had lost interest in them, among them a hognose. He said they should all be healthy & handleable knowing the owners so I said I'd give her a call & find out more. She was a little hesitant seeing as I'd never had a snake before, but I told her I'd cared for a few in the pet shop I work at & had been doing loads of research so I guess she must have warmed up to me a little. I asked her about the hognose, & she wanted to know which one I was looking for. Turns out, she had a tricolour!
I was so excited, Ireland has a pretty small herptile community & there's not a strong enough demand for much other than leos, normal ball pythons, cornsnakes, beardies & so on unless you live in Dublin. Because there isn't much of a market or a community most people won't bother with the expense & hassle of importing much else, so I really didn't expect to see a tricolour hoggie unless I was actively hunting for one for a long time. So it was a really happy surprise for me!
She's named Marina after Marina Diamandis, & is feeding well & is pretty feisty & lively & I adore her. She's been a great intro to snakes & now I'm in the process of getting a ball too :') I just wish Ireland had herptile shows, or that I was rich enough to travel to Hamm!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tricolour hognose!

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Aaaw, congrats! And I'm jealous. :) Tri-coloured hognoses are so pretty and cute. It looks like you got a good one. How is she temperament-wise? Huffy-puffy?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:54 pm

Sometimes she rattles her tail a bit when I go to pick her up & she thrashes for a moment when I pick her up, but she settles right down. I've never heard her hiss, & I'm not entirely sure why, but sometimes she seems sort of flattened out when I find her in her tank, is that her showing her little "hood" that I've heard about? She's not always bad tempered when she's like that either, sometimes she's just a flat little pancake, lol. Or maybe she's maximising the amount of her on the floor so she can soak up heat?

Oh & one more question; I'm finding it tricky to find enough info about their care online, so right now she has carefresh as a substrate (the older one, before they added baking soda) & in her humid hide she has sphagnum moss & some coco husk. Mostly she hangs out in her humid hide, seeing as they're native to rainforests should I make her whole tank more like her humid hide? Her last moult was quite patchy until I raised the humidity in her hide a lot.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:26 pm

Their care is very similar to the western hognose. So any caresheets you find for them should work really well. In my experience, my westerns like to burrow into the aspen and really enjoy their hides. They don't need huge tanks or anything--they seem most comfortable in something that's more... "sized" for them. Like a 10 gallon.

Yep! That's her little cobra hood. :mrgreen: :lol: Eastern hognoses do it best (imo), though sometimes mine give those a run for their money when they get "hissy" enough. Sounds like she's a good gal. They always are huffy-puffy when you go to pull them out, but once they're in your hands, they like completely relax and just sit there or wind between your fingers.

It's the Easterns that are hard to care for--they eat frogs, so it's hard to convert them over to mice, and some people don't think they should have their diet changed.

I'm glad you're really enjoying her. They are the perfect starter snake in my opinion. They're good little eaters (not Easterns), and never will bite.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:24 pm

She's very pretty.

---
"It's the Easterns that are hard to care for--they eat frogs, so it's hard to convert them over to mice, and some people don't think they should have their diet changed."

Would be fairly in expensive and easy to raise your own feeder frogs I would think.
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:19 am

Very nice. Haven't seen these for sale in a while.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:39 am

Is it a hybrid? I've never seen a hognose so long and slender, and with that face.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:42 pm

@Ash: She definitely loves burrowing, it's so cute watching her use her face as a spade! & I agree, she seems pretty happy in a slightly smaller tank, though I have one at the ready for when she does need to move up a size, so she'll never feel cramped up anyway. Not that that seems to be a huge problem with most snakes.
Aww, it's a sort of pathetic, sweet little hood though, she's really not convincing anyone, bless her :') I've seen how determined some of them are to play dead too, the flipping onto their backs behaviour is really strange! At least Marina isn't so theatrical.
Oooh I've heard about that, don't you have to somehow frog scent the mice, if thats what you want to move them onto feeding on? Not that I have any idea of how you're supposed to do that! & yep, I think they're a lovely intro to snakes, undemanding, small enough & big personalities :)

@Nimwey: I'm not entirely sure of what she is, to be honest! I believe she is a Lystrophis pulcher though, but I'm very open to correction. She's definitely very different to the Heterodon nasicus I've seen, I think it's pretty typical for tricolours to be more slender & have a much less pronounced snout, sadly. However I did just look them up again & you're right, she is a bit more slender than most of her kind, do you think I'm underfeeding her? :( She gets a pinkie a week, she's definitely too small for anything bigger, maybe she'll thicken up with age? She'll be a year old this summer, so maybe thats it. I've read that they have fast metabolisms so that they should be fed a little more regularly on smaller prey, rather than less often with larger stuff, but the lady I got her from was very insistent that she should not be fed more regularly as that would be forcing her to grow too fast.... I'm definitely very open to opinions & advice on all of this!
This seems to be another youngster with a similar body shape? http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_q ... +1011+0463
Chunkier guys like this are absolutely adorable though http://www.alexhuereptiles.com/Collecti ... gnose.html
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:41 pm

She's not a hybrid. She's her own species. ;) They're not related to the hognoses of the US or of Madagascar. It's just a physical description of the type of snake. But other than the Easterns, they are pretty similar. Their diet is the same as a typical snake.

She should reach sexual maturity a little under two years. By the time she's grown up, you'll be feeding her f/t mice. Don't underestimate what she can eat--I did that with Dragon (western hognose). But still make sure you're offering an appropriately-sized prey item. Look at her girth where she is thickest, and compare the prey item to that. If it's that size or even a bit bigger, she can handle it.

Hmmm... I might have to reconsider owning Easterns then since they do the "cobra-hood" best, lol. I always thought it would be annoying having to feed them frogs since they are not as "readily available" as rodents are.

Yeah, lots of owners keep frozen frogs and when it's time to feed, they'll thaw it a little and rub its body all over the rodent so it picks up the scent of the frog. I've heard it fools them into thinking it's a frog, and so they then eat it.

Funny you mentioned about how she uses her nose as a "spade." That was one of the names I was considering for Dragon--as well as "trowel." But I let my older sister name him so she'd feel more comfortable with him (she wasn't afraid of snakes, just a bit wary since she hadn't been around them much). So Dragon's name is Dragon. I've often thought about changing it to "Trowel," but can't let go of the one he's had all these years, lol. Even though he wouldn't know the difference.

Maybe it's only the heterodons (US species) that do the play-dead thing, lol. But she's really really adorable, and it makes me jelly for one. ;P
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:15 pm

very nice!
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”