PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Coconut coir question

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Coconut coir question

Postby minervasden » Sun May 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Does anyone know the difference (if any) between plant and reptile label coconut coir bricks? I was price comparing and kept noticing plant people who preferred (without elaboration) reptile label product. My preliminary search didn't/hasn't yet turned up anything on herp people using plant label coir.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
minervasden

Re: Coconut coir question

Postby minervasden » Sun May 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Found a partial answer on an invert. board. Many keepers using coir bricks from the nursery for the lower cost. No discussion on differences aside from cost. Perhaps there is a difference in coarseness between brands or nursery vs. reptile.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun May 17, 2015 3:01 pm

That's actually really good to know. I didn't know the answer, and was wondering about it myself, so I was gonna go look around and see if I could find anything. That's very helpful.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun May 17, 2015 11:16 pm

Now I've found the information I was searching for about the coir. High salt levels is the issue some plant people have. They either due additional processing themselves or just buy a reptile brand. Some of the nursery/hydro brands do claim to have special processing for low salt levels.

So, if you decide to purchase plant labeled coconut coir choose a reputable brand which processes for a low salt level. Just to be safe, especially if you have sensitive critters such as amphibians.
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Tue May 19, 2015 12:50 am

I've been told that the coconut core used for plants also tend to have mites in them. I really hate dealing with mites, so I always use bedding that's specifically for reptiles.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue May 19, 2015 7:11 am

That's something I have not heard before (the mites).

Edited to clarify that I meant mites other than occasional plant mites.
Rubythills

Postby Rubythills » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:22 am

minervasden wrote:Does anyone know the difference (if any) between plant and reptile label coconut coir bricks? I was price comparing and kept noticing plant people who preferred (without elaboration) reptile label product. My preliminary search didn't/hasn't yet turned up anything on herp people using plant label coir.

I use coco cor for my tortoises. You can get it much cheaper in bulk from someplace like lowes or Home Depot. Don't think there is any difference between the two.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:47 am

@ Rubythills- Thanks for your input. I did find the information I needed (see quote below). I currently only use small amounts of the product for a hermit crab enclosure so bulk isn't a need for me at this time. Out of curiosity, what is the brand you use? And is there any mention of salt levels on the package?

minervasden wrote:Now I've found the information I was searching for about the coir. High salt levels is the issue some plant people have. They either due additional processing themselves or just buy a reptile brand. Some of the nursery/hydro brands do claim to have special processing for low salt levels.

So, if you decide to purchase plant labeled coconut coir choose a reputable brand which processes for a low salt level. Just to be safe, especially if you have sensitive critters such as amphibians.

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”