PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Skinks are SO underrated...

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Skinks are SO underrated...

Postby Ash » Mon May 25, 2015 10:34 pm

I've learned a lot about skinks lately (blue-tongue), and I just want to say they are probably one of the most underrated lizards out there. I did a presentation with one for a job interview--so I did a lot of research before hand and then handled it for quite a while.

Their care is easy, and they have wonderful personalities. And their blue tongues are endearing.

I may have to chalk them up on my wishlist, but not anytime soon. They are really amazing animals, and like I said, for some reason often overlooked. People are drawn to iguanas, but skinks are amazing pets.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
minervasden

Re: Skinks are SO underrated...

Postby minervasden » Tue May 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Yes, skinks are very underrated. They are some of my favorite lizards. I've kept a number of skink species.
Pink tongue I never had but really wanted one.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Thu May 28, 2015 1:11 am

Monkey Tailed Skinks are on my list of reptiles I really, really want. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a enclosure big enough for them.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu May 28, 2015 8:19 am

there are some great little skinks out there, crocodile skinks and solomon island skinks (aka monkey tailed skink) are some of my favourites.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu May 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Forgot about monkey tails, never was that into them visually. Then, about 20 years ago, I worked with one which had such a bad attitude it completely turned me off them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 29, 2015 4:03 pm

minervasden wrote:Forgot about monkey tails, never was that into them visually. Then, about 20 years ago, I worked with one which had such a bad attitude it completely turned me off them.

I honestly think you should make a post where you list all the animals you've ever worked with, lol. You don't say much, but whenever you do, I'm always so surprised to find out how many different species you've worked with. Are you mostly into reptiles? Or a bit of everything?

Haven't heard of the monkey-tail skink before. Wasn't really interested in skinks until I did the presentation on the blue-tongue and got to hold it for a long time. I need to check these guys out more.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri May 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Ash wrote: Are you mostly into reptiles? Or a bit of everything?

I have varied interests. Just not primates. Never worked with or owned them and have no interest in doing so. There's an exception to every rule and I will say if someone wanted to GIVE me a red-handed tamarin, I would accept. I am familiar with their husbandry just in case :icon-wink:

Back to skinks, I would also like Eugongylus albofasciatus (too many common names). Here is a link to an old ad with pictures: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466359
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:06 am

I would LOVE to keep sandfish skinks, red-eyed crocodile skinks or fire skinks someday, but I'd say I'd have to specially import them or wait until someone in the rep community here goes to one of the Hamm shows or something :/
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:26 pm

I think Skinks are always foreshadowed by the Bearded Dragon. I was at a pet store the other day they had both a Blue Tounged Skink and a Bearded Dragon of course the Bearded Dragon was picked out and sold. Don't Skinks have a similar personality to a Bearded Dragon as well?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Skinks are SO docile, lol. I love the two where I work--they're a joy to be around. Their care imo is much easier in comparison to a bearded dragon's. I think there should be a shift and people should buy blue-tongue skinks instead of the beardies--they are a lot easier to care for and the average owner would be able to care for one (whereas the average person does not take the best care of their bearded dragon).

They are pretty much just sausages with teensy, tiny arms and legs, lol. And they'll sit in your hands forever. Very cute, endearing, and lazy, haha. They do have a "stink" to them, but I wouldn't say it's offensive unless you buried your face in their cage or something and took a huge whiff. One of the ones where I work is called Stinky, lol. But they really are awesome animals, and the smell would not be a determining factor for me if I was looking at getting one as a pet. Everyone so far who has come into the facility (while I've been working) have loved the blue-tongued skinks. They haven't heard of them before, seen them before, but are entranced by their weird shape and blue tongues, lol. And then their personalities win people over. I don't know how many people are actually going to run out and get one, but if they're going to get a pet lizard, a skink would be a neat pet for them.

Kind of like how I wish more people were interested in owning monitors than iguanas. The average person cannot care for an iguana properly--as can be seen by the many sad cases that wind up in rescue. But monitors are pretty straightforward, especially since they don't require UVB. And monitors tend to have better temperaments than iguanas since they don't get all hormonal.

Kind of random, but I personally think that it would be best for the casual "I want a pet lizard" owner to not buy an animal that requires UVB. Seems like there would be a lot less unintentional neglect going on.

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”