PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Darwin the Tortoise

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Darwin the Tortoise

Postby minervasden » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:03 pm

This is Darwin the Russian Tortoise. Just arrived this evening. He was very uncooperative while getting checked in so I was only able to get a picture when I sat him in his old cage for a moment to write a few things down.

An immediate family member of the owners had him surrendered due to neglect (from ignorance and bad/no pet store knowledge). A case of walk into big pet store chain for dog food and walk out with a tortoise we know nothing about.

Anyway, here is Darwin all approximately 5 inches of him.

On a semi-related note, it is amazing how much urine a tiny tortoise has when it decides to 'let go' on you.

On an unrelated note, I am sick of rain every single day :-x I don't feel well when it rains :cry:
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Darwin the Tortoise

Postby pat » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:24 am

thank you for giving Darwin a better life. sad when some people buy any type of animal and lack the proper care of them. icon-sad

Darwin is actually kind of cute and unique. I always liked turtles, never owned them. don't really know much about them.
interesting about when they pee they go that much.

thank you for posting about darwin. hope you keep us updated.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Aw, so glad you took him in. I don't know why people won't do research prior to bringing home an animal. It makes no sense to me...

Working with the tortoises where I work, I've decided a tortoise is definitely NOT a pet for me, lol. They are never-ending pooping/peeing machines! No exaggeration, lol. :lol: I never realized how much they "go." It never ends....
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Ash wrote:Working with the tortoises where I work, I've decided a tortoise is definitely NOT a pet for me, lol. They are never-ending pooping/peeing machines! No exaggeration, lol. :lol: I never realized how much they "go." It never ends....

A trait of grazing type animals. At least Darwin is a very small tortoise. Although not a baby like the pet store said :roll:
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 pm

pat wrote:thank you for posting about darwin. hope you keep us updated.

Darwin's had a rough start. He did not like being in a 'proper' indoor tortoise enclosure so he was downgraded to small bare bones aquarium which doesn't stress him. He does not like outside. He still needs assistance keeping hydrated. Did not want to eat and still only eating limited diet/amount-but enough to maintain health. And only if there is arugula. Zoo Med grassland tortoise pellets are the worst food ever in his opinion. He is definitely a project but remember that Darwin is a wild caught fellow who hasn't had a chance yet to acclimate to captivity.

All that said, even if he takes a while to completely settle, he has made some strides. He used to always run away always from me and his lunch plate. Now he hurries over to his plate to see what's on it. He sleeps in his burrow each night and as soon as his lights come on in the am his head pops out of the burrow to look around.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Updated Darwin pics

This is a small patch of untrimmed yard where I harvest good tortoise weeds. I don't think Darwin should go in there though. He might not be able to fight his way back out.

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”