PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ctenosaurus Pectinata

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ctenosaurus Pectinata

Postby Ash » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:25 pm

The Mexican spiny-tailed iguana. :)

I will hopefully put a payment down on him on Wednesday, so we'll see!

He is a wild-caught iggy that has been in captivity for four years, I believe. He is tame, and just sat on my shoulder when I held him. So really well adjusted. Also very healthy with all of his toes and tail. Alert, bright eyes and good skin. He has been well-cared for.

He is at the most amazing pet shop I have ever been to--it feels like a miniature zoo, that's how awesome it is. They give their animals the best care I have EVER seen a pet shop give. So I would be very happy to buy this ig from these people. They aren't like the typical pet shop. They're 5/5 stars, in my opinion. Very clean, no sick animals, great and knowledgeable staff, animals housed appropriately, etc.

What's cool and unusual, is he has a lots of blue on him. Very aqua and cream-colored. Not like the usual colors (yellow and gray). He came in a shipment with several other blues. Apparently there were about five blues that were imported that are currently residing in the US, and this is one of them. The people who have the other blues are going to start line-breeding to try and get a line of "blue phase" c. pectinatas. Maybe I'll want to do the same once I get this guy and see if I could get my own blue line going. That would be really neat.

I'm really excited to get him. I've had my eye on him for months, so I know I've really considered him carefully. He is most likely going to be my next pet.

I'll keep my fingers crossed though. Hopefully he doesn't suddenly get bought by someone else, or I'll have felt silly for making this post.

The photos are very poor since they were taken with my phone. But here's some pictures of him:

IMG_2878.JPG

IMG_2879.JPG

IMG_2880.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Re: Ctenosaurus Pectinata

Postby minervasden » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:26 am

Hope he's still there for you. I missed a snake I wanted by less than an hour once :cry:
Best of luck in getting and caring for him!
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:55 pm

minervasden wrote:Hope he's still there for you. I missed a snake I wanted by less than an hour once :cry:
Best of luck in getting and caring for him!

Ah, that's terrible! :( Sorry you missed him. And it just makes it worse when you know you just barely missed him... especially by an hour. :cry:

I'm running my parents up to the airport today, so after I drop them off I decided I'm actually going to put down the deposit. I don't think I can wait until tomorrow--I'm paranoid that he'll get bought (even though he's been at the pet shop for like a year or more and hasn't been bought yet). I'll make an update later tonight if I can get the deposit down. If I do, I should have him with me by the end of August since I'll be doing a short payment plan. That'll give me plenty of time to build his enclosure.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Okay, I haven't seen a whole bunch of 'cute' reptiles, but his little face is just adorable! :lol:
His face is very expressive, hope you get him! Also! Did you put up pics of your enclosure
yet? I love to see enclosures, always looking for ideas!

<3
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Yeah, I'll post the enclosure pics.

Well, I'm bummed out a lot. I drove up there today to put the money down, and I guess somebody else had already put a deposit down. :cry: I really didn't think it would happen. The shop had him for over a year, and I was the only person who was ever seriously interested in him at the price he was. They didn't see him selling anytime soon. What's worse, is the minute I walked into the door, is the owner saw me and asked if I was there for the iguana. I said "yes," and he said it had literally just been sold three minutes ago and that the guy who put the money down had just left.

Three minutes...

The whole time I was in the store, employees kept coming up and telling me how much it stank that I missed him. That didn't help, but I think they felt bad. They knew me as the girl who wanted the iguana who came in 'all the time.'

I am really bummed out. I've been looking at this iguana 2x a week for the past 2 months, considering him, thinking about him, etc. I guess it shows you just shouldn't get your hopes up... And also never to pick out names in advance. :( I feel stupid now, and I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up until I had at least put money down on him... It's been an emotional day, I guess. Dropped my family off at the airport, stopped at the petshop and found out, and then cried the whole way home. :( Oh well. I guess that's just how things go sometimes...

He was really cute. Maybe I can figure out who is buying him and see if they'd want to sell him to me. But that sounds covetous and petty, so I won't, I guess. I suppose the guy who put down the deposit may decide later he doesn't want him and not pay up, but I doubt that. He put $400 down, and it was nonrefundable.

I can always let the pet shop know that if anything changes to contact me. I could tell them that if the guy does change his mind I could cover his deposit so that he could get a full refund. But that just sounds dumb and desperate. I don't know. Very disappointing...
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:20 am

Well considering he's rare due to the color I don't see how it would hurt to let them know you would still take him if it doesn't work out.

When I adopted Hyzzie the shelter was first come first serve and you were supposed to arrive at 6 am or something like that to sign a waiting list for the dog you want to get when they open later at 8. I'd been visiting her all week waiting for her hold to be up and brought her a blanket even to make her more comfy. I got there early and the paper was already out and someone had already signed for her but I hung around anyway.

I just got lucky that the shelter attendant was stupid, lol. He told the family you can't tell age in chihuahuas and she could be as old as 8 years. She was obviously young but I bit my tongue and they passed on her so I got her after all. Good thing for her with all her aggression issues and their having a baby and little kids that match would have ended in disaster.

Not the same as putting a deposit down but people do change their minds. Maybe he wont like him once he handles him or something. I mean probably not but there's a chance so may as well try to put something in place to catch if it does.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:56 am

I feel a lot better today--like I said, yesterday was very emotional. I always have a hard time when family leaves to go home and miss them like crazy. Putting down the deposit was supposed to cheer me up, lol.

Okay, I will then. They're about two hours away from me, but right next to where I work. So I can stop over during my lunch break and ask--or maybe make a phone call. I've already talked to one of the other people in the US who has some and waiting to hear back if they are willing to part with any of theirs--doubt it, but never hurts to see. :) I know of one other person I can ask who has the blues, so will ask them too.

It was that particular lizard I really liked though. Just felt "special." But we'll see what comes of it. They told me the buyer was a really good owner, so may very well be a better owner than me. If it does get bought, I'll have to just keep a crazy eye on craigslist/ksl to see if it ever comes up for sale so I can snatch him up or something. Most people don't keep iguanas super long, but if he was willing to put down the money on this guy, he's probably a lot more dedicated and serious than most.

Yeah, lol, I'm glad you got Hyzzie. Who knows what would have happened if they'd gotten her.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:22 pm

A little late to the party, but sorry you missed him. And yes, definitely get your info in to the pet store that if for any reason the buyer backs out you have your deposit ready and waiting. It would also be great if the pet store could let the new owner know that if he/she will be breeding there is a local customer interested in any blues produced. If that doesn't go against the pet stores interests of course.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm so sorry you missed out, but at least you'll be prepared and decided next time the opportunity
avails itself, so you can snatch the next one right up. :D
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:40 am

Thanks, guys. :)

During my lunch break I went to the store and gave them my contact info. They were actually really nice and thoughtful. They told me I didn't need to give it to them since they already were going to contact me one way or another if the sale didn't go through. They know my boss, so were going to contact him. So it felt nice to know that they already had me completely in mind. Now I know if it doesn't go through I'll be the very first to know.

Maybe this is overboard, but I told them that if the potential owner ever seemed iffy about his purchase, I would pay for his non-refundable deposit so that he could get all his money back. We'll see what happens. I don't care if they think I'm weird and desperate at this point, because I know I am. :lol: I wish I could somehow talk to the guy and see if he's really wanting it, just wanted an iguana, regrets buying it, etc. But that would be way too stalkerish, desperate, and just weird. :P
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:20 pm

if you really want an animal, you do whatever it takes to get it, I just messaged someone on facebook the other day about a snake he isn't even selling, but i want it, and now if he ever does sell it, i have first refusal. ask them to give your contact info to this guy as well, chances are he may breed it, you could tell him you want to be first on the list for babies or to buy this guy if he ever has to move him on.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:29 pm

naja-naja wrote:if you really want an animal, you do whatever it takes to get it, I just messaged someone on facebook the other day about a snake he isn't even selling, but i want it, and now if he ever does sell it, i have first refusal. ask them to give your contact info to this guy as well, chances are he may breed it, you could tell him you want to be first on the list for babies or to buy this guy if he ever has to move him on.

Will do. I want this guy.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 pm

So the owner with some of the other original imports got back to me. He said he is actually getting out of the project because he has so many other projects that he'd rather focus his time on at this moment. So he said I can come by today and take a look at them! He said that his least blue one had more blue on it than the one at the petshop (I showed him the picture). Depending on his price, I may have an iguana today! :D But we'll see.

This guy is renowned internationally, and he is such a good guy. I've only heard great things about him, and in all my past talks with him he has been nothing but helpful and kind. He is very reputable, and everybody in Utah loves him. I've wanted to meet him for some time now, so now's a great time.

I also learned from someone else that the iguana at the petshop was being fed pinkies in addition to his salad--just not for the public to see. :shock: So maybe it is a good thing that one didn't work out anyway. Everything else they were doing was great health-wise, but some people feel the need to supplement an iguana's diet with animal meat... I would hate to buy something only for it to develop kidney or liver problems later. (Iguanas are strict herbivores. No animal proteins). I should count my blessings.

Anyway, I'm going to go meet the four iguanas today. :) I'm super excited, but also kind of nervous. Hoping I can get one of my sisters to come with so she can be my "support animal." lol
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:41 pm

That's great. Glad things are working out so well.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:29 am

best of luck, it'd be great to get at least a pair of them if you could.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”