PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Mexican Spinytailed Iguana

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mexican Spinytailed Iguana

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:10 am

Never got around to posting these pictures of my little trio. :) A while back I built their indoor cage with a divider in it. I am using bio-active substrate so that I will not have to clean (ideally). So far it's working great and I haven't cleaned them for over a month. The little bugs I bought to put in the soil must be doing their jobs.

IMG_3420.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

I realized I don't take very many pictures of Ice, which is funny because I take the most videos of her. I need to get some more.

Right now, ALL three are in shed, so they look an ugly gray-brown, lol. So I don't think I'll be able to get pictures that show off their colors, but I can still post some more. It's amazing how blue they are, especially when they're "fired up" in the sunlight. Especially Phoenix. But Fault is really surprising me too with his blues; as he sheds his skin and it comes off, it's beautiful underneath.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Green Iguanas are amazing, but they are known to be aggressive, that's why so many end up in rescues or are released. Some day I hope to start a rescue for unwanted reptiles and I'll get to work with a lot of Green Iguanas! : )
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:48 am

GitaBooks wrote:Green Iguanas are amazing, but they are known to be aggressive, that's why so many end up in rescues or are released. Some day I hope to start a rescue for unwanted reptiles and I'll get to work with a lot of Green Iguanas! : )

Yeah, lol. A dream of mine (if the money's there) is to have a "rescue/surrender center" for unwanted foxes, large lizards like iguanas, monitors, tegus, and alligators and dwarf caimans...

It would cost a lot of money though to take care of those animals, especially if I took in crocodilians.

I feel like crocodilians are always being seized by state governments and needing homes if they're not put down. Mostly alligators and the cuviers dwarf caiman.

And then, of course, the average person can't take care of their iguana properly... And then don't want it when it "turns on them." There's so many of those out there in need of homes too.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:46 pm

Money is always the issue with starting a rescue. I would probably be rescuing every species in the world and finding them good homes if I had the money. :lol:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:00 am

Fault, Phoenix, and Ice are all doing great.

AAAAAAAAAND...

...it looks like number 4 will be coming home soon. :) For Christmas, I asked my family to help me put down a deposit on the big male at the petshop that is still available. I have a sneaky suspicion my mom put the deposit down today over the phone, but I don't know for sure, and she won't tell me. I don't know if I can wait until Christmas to know though! I may have to drive over there and ask the manager point blank, ha.

Obviously it will be a while before I can actually pay for the rest of him, so I'll be keeping up a payment plan for the next few months, but eeeeek! The fact that he's reserved for me (maybe) is very, very exciting! I really want to just go and hold him. He's such a beauty.

The concern I had over him being fed pinkies is not as big a deal as I once thought since I've done more research. Conservation centers for pectinata feed meat to this particular species. So him having eaten pinkies along with his salads is probably okay. I would personally not feed pinkies, especially in excess, but it sounds like it is not going to be a bad thing that he was raised on them.

Anyway, just wanted to share! :mrgreen:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:45 pm

That's great. Glad he should be healthy after all.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Thanks. I'm excited for sure. :)

Here's some pictures from their facebook page of the cute little dude:

11224673_1017896834921352_3562071106879672584_n.jpg

12049392_1017896844921351_8870330669645285041_n.jpg

12118741_1017896831588019_3016065202536051236_n.jpg

And I KNOW it sounds cheesy and cliche, but he looks way more amazing in person. A camera can't really capture a reptile's color and vividness. Those gray-blue patches on him are a beautiful aqua blue when he is fired up. :)

I've had his name picked out for a while, but it's a secret. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Congratulations and finally (almost) getting him. I know how excited and then disappointed you were when you first posted about him.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:03 pm

minervasden wrote:Congratulations and finally (almost) getting him. I know how excited and then disappointed you were when you first posted about him.

Thank you. I was so bummed. But in retrospect, so many great things came from it. I would never have gotten my other three if he hadn't been "bought."

Oh, I went and visited him the other day! My mom took these pictures. I kept telling her to take ones of HIM, not of ME, but did she listen? Of course not, lol.

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

See how beautiful he is? I love him so much already!
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:36 pm

He is gorgeous!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:09 pm

On Christmas, my parents surprised me. I opened my Christmas present, and inside the box was the iguana. :))) So he is with me now.

Just wanted to update. He is going to be in quarantine for a little while, so hopefully I'll get a lot of pics soon!
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:45 am

That's an awesome Christmas gift!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 pm

So it turns out Phoenix is definitely a male. He was sold to me as a probable female, and for a while it seemed he was. But now he is most certainly, indisputably, a boy. Not only does he have waxy plugs in his femoral pores, but he's got the bulge, lol.

This disrupts my future breeding plans a little since I'm down one female and now have three males. So I will have to track down another female or 2 from the same shipment and see. Or find a high blue female from a different blood line and outcross, which wouldn't be bad either. I was hoping to keep within the bloodline, but may not be possible now.

Phoenix is the highest blue of them all though. So on the bright side, he can pass his genes around to a lot of ladies now when he's ready.

I know someone who has a few from the same shipment. I don't want to bring in anymore animals for a while though--at the moment, four iguanas are enough. So maybe I'll contact him and ask, and then in a year or two see if he is willing to sell them if they're females. So we'll see.

At any rate, Ice is a definite female, lol, and has her pick of three boys now. ;) She will get up to size a lot faster than either Fault or Phoenix, so could be ready to be paired with Steel in a year or so. Then again, Phoenix is starting to go through a major growth spurt, so he might be ready by then depending. And since he's super high blue, that would make for a better pairing. We'll see. All plans for the future.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks for posting the pics, they are all lovely
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Thank you. :)

I don't know if I'm just being hopeful and that's throwing me off... but I'm beginning to think Steel might actually be a female.

It's breeding season, and Fault and Phoenix are showing off their manliness. But meanwhile Steel has no waxy plugs in his femoral pores. Nor does he seem to sport hemipenes. One would think that with him being so large, it would be easier to tell his gender. But Fault and Phoenix are 10x easier to visually sex.

I think it would be great if Steel were a girl. That would actually be amazing. But I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm worried I'm just trying to prove to myself that he is, just because I'm hopeful.

I wonder how similar they are to a green iguana. Green iguanas can be DNA sexed.

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”