PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Has anyone heard of Frilled Dragons being pets?

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lilcuz

Has anyone heard of Frilled Dragons being pets?

Postby Lilcuz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:42 pm

So I've been on an exotic animal search, looking for the best one for me. I've been looking at mostly mammals and sometimes birds, when I got the idea of a reptile. So I was looking on YouTube for pet reptiles and saw a video on the Frilled Lizard. Does anyone here own one or know if they make good pets? They do from what I've seen.
List of animals I'd love to have:

Common Marmoset, Fennec Fox pair, Rock Hyrax, Red Fox, African Wild Dog, Striped Hyena, Grey Wolf, Spotted Hyena, Grizzly Bear, Lion, Wolverine, Giraffe, Komodo Dragon, Silverback Gorilla
GitaBooks

Re: Has anyone heard of Frilled Dragons being pets?

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Sounds like an awesome idea!

Frilled Lizards aren't as calm as Bearded Dragons, from what I hear, but if tamed carefully they can make good pets. They need a large enclosure, as they enjoy climbing and need a lot of space to move around. They also only spread their frill when stressed, so the less they do it, the happier they are.

Best of luck finding your pet! : )
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks! I've done a little research as I've just only found out about these being pets and it seems that maybe a tall 4x6x4 tank might be good with some plants, mulch and dirt, and some pictures of forests to make him/her feel at home. I cant think of a name so that'd be appreciated. Probably going to get a male btw.

Common Marmoset, Fennec Fox pair, Rock Hyrax, Red Fox, African Wild Dog, Striped Hyena, Grey Wolf, Spotted Hyena, Grizzly Bear, Lion, Wolverine, Giraffe, Komodo Dragon, Silverback Gorilla
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Coming up with a name is always a lot of fun. While it isn't Australian, Dastan is the name of one of my roosters. That's the name of the Prince of Persia, and though I never watched the movie, it just seems to fit such a regal animal.

That sounds like a good terrarium set-up! I don't think the cage needs to be too moist, so perhaps mixing some sand and soil would be a good substrate. However, like I said, I've never kept a Frilled Dragon.
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks for the name idea! I never would've thought of a regal name. Frillies don't need too much moisture from what I can tell. Sand and soil seems like a good substrate to me!
If I get one, here's where I'll be getting it:
http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Yep, you can certainly own them, and they can make fun pets depending on what you're expecting in an animal. :) A coworker owns one and really likes his.

For best pet lizards, my personal opinion is that blue-tongue skinks and bearded dragons top the list. Blue-tongues are still uncommon, so would be really cool to have. They have such good dispositions. Maybe check them out too, if you're looking at different reptile species. :) Bearded dragons are sweet balls of spike, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:02 pm

frilled dragons are a very common pet, regularly bred in captivity and imported from farms in indonesia. cage size you're looking as (for an adult) 4-6foot long, about 2-3 foot deep and ideally 3+ foot high.
habitat type would be smi humid forest, so daily spraying or automated misting (not soaking) of the cag would be needed, as well as ultraviolet type B lighting to ensure it gets adequate vitamin d, which is needed to synthesize the calcium he will require. if you do not provide calcium, he will get metabolic bone disease (mbd), which is where calcium is leeched from the animals bones for essential digestive requirements, and the bones become brittle and malformed. (the reptile equivalent to rickets) also, if calcium if provided but no vitamin d, then the lizard will not be able to synthesize the calcium provided, and it will get mbd. quite high temperatures will also be needed within the terrarium, this may be a challenge depending on where you live and the ambient temp of the room. if you live in a warm climate, you could also construct an outdoor pen, these can generally be larger then is practical for an indoor enclosure, and will provide access to natural sunlight (far superior to what can be achieved with a uv tube) you will need to feed live invertebrates, such as crickets or roaches, and occasionally small mice when it's big enough.
if you need any more advice let me know, although I haven't owned them for any great period of thime, i have cared for them in the past working in an exotic pet shop.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:14 pm

If I do get one, I plan on feeding it Dubia Roaches and pinkies as a treat. Temperature shouldn't be a problem, seeing as how I live in southern Alabama. I'm not familiar with misting, but I've heard it's required for certain reptilian species, so I'll look into that. The indoor enclosure will be connected to an outdoor enclosure by a guillotine door. The indoor will be 4 ft wide, 4 ft long, and 6 ft tall. I haven't thought of an outdoor enclosure size yet, but it'll be shared by my mothers future Common Marmoset, if that's safe.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Your getting a marmoset? Cool! : )
Marmosets are awesome. However, they won't do well with reptiles. Either they will injure the lizard or the lizard will injure them. Its best to keep them separate.
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Yeah! Well, my mom is anyways. I guess their cages should be in different rooms as well then?

naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:28 am

Lilcuz wrote:If I do get one, I plan on feeding it Dubia Roaches and pinkies as a treat. Temperature shouldn't be a problem, seeing as how I live in southern Alabama. I'm not familiar with misting, but I've heard it's required for certain reptilian species, so I'll look into that. The indoor enclosure will be connected to an outdoor enclosure by a guillotine door. The indoor will be 4 ft wide, 4 ft long, and 6 ft tall. I haven't thought of an outdoor enclosure size yet, but it'll be shared by my mothers future Common Marmoset, if that's safe.

misting or spraying can be one 1 of 2 ways. manually (i.e. with a handheld garden sprayer) or automatically, with an electronic mister on a timer where you just fill the reservoir every so often. with just 1 lizard, manually is probably the easier option, as all it requires is a $5 garden mister (or the same one from a petshop for $15 if you prefer) automatically is more for multiple cages, or if you are keeping something like dart frogs, day geckos or venomous snakes where you want to keep opening the cage to a minimum. All you have to do is spray the tank thoroughly every morning. doing it in the morning will create a humidity cycle, as the heat of the cage during the day will cause it to evaporate into the air in the cage, similar to in the wild, where the sun would do the same with the morning dew. That size indoor cage is fantastic (although i would maybe suggest making it 30'' wide so it can fit through doorways if you ever need to move it.) making the same sized one out of wire would be great, to bring the lizard out into it for a few hours a day in the summer on warm days.
as far as co-housing with a marmoset, that's a big no-no, they are very capable of seriously injuring or killing one another, and they would definitely go for each other. (however i would definitely say to get a pair of marmosets as opposed to a single individual, they, as well as many other primates, can get psychological problems when kept singly.) no need to have the indoor and outdoor enclosures connected, you can simply just walk out with the lizard and place it inside.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks for the info naja! Thanks to previous comments, I'm well aware of dangerous cohabitation between marmosets and frillies.

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”