PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Nile Monitor

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nile Monitor

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:30 am

Guess who's bringing home a nile monitor tomorrow! Such a mean guy/gal, but I'm super excited to work with him and gain his trust! Especially after getting a lot of experience with the three niles at work.

I've loved water monitors for a long time and always wanted to stay far away from niles. But after interacting with the two species, I've come to really like both for different reasons. The niles are just so... well, they act really smart--like they're calculating your every move. The water monitors are a lot more laid back.

SO many awesome species of monitor out there... But a nile is going to be my first! (Might as well get one of the "meanest" species out of the way, lol.)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Re: Nile Monitor

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Awesome! Congrats!

Monitors are some of the smartest reptiles in the world, I watch a documentary on how they can be trained to follow target sticks and love to be petted and perch on your shoulder, ect.

Did you ever read the Nile Monitor book? It is very helpful in explaining taming and care, such as housing and feeding.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:00 am

GitaBooks wrote:Awesome! Congrats!

Monitors are some of the smartest reptiles in the world, I watch a documentary on how they can be trained to follow target sticks and love to be petted and perch on your shoulder, ect.

Did you ever read the Nile Monitor book? It is very helpful in explaining taming and care, such as housing and feeding.

I haven't read the book. I'm not sure when it was published, but monitor husbandry from ten years ago is now obsolete. So I tend to ask current owners who are up-to-date on husbandry practices. I will still check it out though! I'm always excited to learn as much as I can about animals.

They are SO smart. I've been using target training with my iguanas. So far, it's all just been sessions of "lol." But that's because I haven't been consistent. Once I gain this monitor's trust though, I'm definitely doing target training with him/her.

He's here with me, chilling in a box in my bedroom until I can get him into his temporary enclosure tonight. In a month, his real enclosure is going up since I can have help building it. But even the conditions of the temporary enclosure WAY exceed what he was kept in previously. He'll actually be able to DIG, SWIM. He'll have places to hide. He will finally have a hotspot above 90 degrees (like... over 120 degrees, lol). And even the lowest temperature at the cool end of his cage will be warmer than he's been kept. 88 degrees is the ambient temperature of my reptihouse, so that'll be the coldest he should ever be (unless I take him out for handling/bonding when he'll be at what we humans consider "room temperature"). So even though this temporary enclosure isn't going to be as large as the one he'll be in next month, he's sure going to enjoy the change.

I'm very excited to gain his trust. Best ways are tong-feeding, and just... letting them be around you. Not forcing them to do anything, and not restraining them. I'm going to close myself in a bathroom with him, and just sit on the floor for about five hours straight. Eventually, he should get comfortable enough with my presence that he will walk on me. May take a long time to get him to that point, but that's okay. The first session was really successful already (it was for three hours and he was to the point he would chill cradled against my shoulder). As a disclaimer, I'm sure he's going to liven up EVEN MORE once he's being kept at the right temps.

I really want him to be able to swim when he wants... They looks so beautiful when they swim, and I'm sure he'll love it. Maybe he'll be scared of such a big body of water though. We'll see.

The substrate is pretty much dirt mixed with playsand, so he'll be able to dig his own dens out. Wonder if he'll figure it out naturally or not. Time will tell!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:43 pm

He's here now and settling in. :) He is in his temporary setup which is infinitely better than what he has been kept in his entire life. I'm sure he must be enjoying himself.

The first night I didn't get everything set up, so he slept in my bed with me. I keep my room 88 degrees when I have reptiles in there, and for him I bumped it a little higher to 90. So that was a decent night-time temperature... He just settled in and went right to sleep.

He can finally DIG! He was on a thin layer of aspen substrate before. Now he has 6 inches of topsoil/sand mix to play in. I'm excited for when he realizes he can burrow. :)

Also has tiles beneath his heat light so he can bask. Unfortunately, I thought I had a ceramic bulb in my spare heat lamp, but I didn't. So he's only a little over 100 right now (before his ambient was in the 70s, so this is a great improvement). I'll be getting one today if I have time, and if not today, tomorrow. I want the hot spot AT LEAST at 140 degrees...

I plan to give him 18 inches of dirt to "play in" once his enclosure is built next month. I think he'll just love that... Also, I want to give him a big swimming pool. When I first brought him home, I gave him a bath to clean him off, and he LOVED it. He swam circles round and round, went to sleep under the water, then woke up and swam some more. He definitely needs a pool, and fortunately, I've got a good sized one for the enclosure next month.

He's going to love it here, I can already tell. He's tongue-flicking a lot and exploring his small temporary enclosure. Also ate up four rat crawlers with gusto.

Everything is going well. Still trying to think of a name, but since I still don't know the gender, I'm stuck, lol. When I have some extra money and time, I'll see if I can take him to my vet for an ultrasound. But I will probably name him/her something that could go either way. So a name should be decided either today or tomorrow. Once I get a name, I'll put pictures up.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:48 pm

As far as temperament goes, he's definitely a nile, lol. :P Which means "ouch" for me. I was holding him yesterday (I really shouldn't have been, he needs time to adjust and come to me, so this was well-deserved on my end), and he just swung his head back and clamped down on the skin between my thumb and pointer finger. I've got a big bite mark shaped like his upper and lower jaw on my hand now.

Thanks, buddy, for reminding me not to rush things. lol
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Don't you just love to see animals go from small enclosures to large, natural ones? Its one of the great joys of life!

He sounds very happy in his new home. : )

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”