PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Gravid Iguana

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gravid Iguana

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:27 pm

I'm suspecting Ice is gravid (with infertile eggs, of course). She is very fat, and the other day I saw her starting to dig a hole. No eggs so far, but I'm keeping a close eye on her. Humidity needs to stay up during this time to help her lay them. According to other owners of Ctenosaura pectinatas, this is the time of year they lay.

For a while I was worried she might have been impacted, but she's not. I see fresh feces regularly.

If she is gravid, I really wish I would have paired her with another iguana. I did not think she was ready, but if she is indeed gravid, then obviously she was this past breeding season. I guess the only iguana I could have paired her with was Steel, but I got him at the end of December and he had to go through a month of quarantine. So maybe there was no feasible way to pair her up with anybody. Phoenix may have been ready, but just barely ready.

Before I breed, I want to make sure I have money for medical bills, just in case one of the iguanas becomes seriously injured in the process, or if things go wrong. If someone loses a limb, I need to make sure I can take them to the vet!

Anyway, we will see if she lays or not. There's a chance she may reabsorb her eggs, and in that case I won't see any. But this year's coming season I will certainly pair her up with either Steel or Phoenix. If Phoenix is large enough, then I would much rather use him; his colors are much more vibrant and beautiful than Steel's.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Re: Gravid Iguana

Postby minervasden » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Have you put a nesting box in with her yet? And, if she lays normal eggs, are you saving any for future animal shows? You know to show how they start out compared to adults. That's if you'll be using them in shows of course.

And good luck with future breeding efforts.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:53 pm

I have her on bio-active substrate that goes down pretty deep, but if you still suggest a nesting box, I can go ahead and give her one of those too.

I hadn't thought about keeping the eggs for educational work if there's good ones. I'd really like to do that. At work we keep a lot of the eggs to educate kids as well as some bones. But it didn't occur to me I could do it with my own animals' eggs.

A random thought occurred to my sister the other day... Prior to Ice coming home with me, she was housed with a male. I don't know much about iguanas and retained sperm. Obviously if she were a snake, I'd say there's a definite chance of the eggs being fertile. But for iguanas, I don't know. I'm sure it's highly unlikely, plus I don't even know if Ice and her cage mate were mating, but I figured I'd just ask to see if you knew anything about retained sperm in iguanas--just in case. Of course, if she doesn't lay her eggs and instead reabsorbs them, then it wouldn't even be a concern.

And thanks! :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Yep, sperm retention can happen in iguana species and is certainly not uncommon among lizards in general. If I suspect an egg layer is gravid, I always offer an alternative nesting site. It's up to you. If you feel she's satisfied with her substrate and it's suitable for laying then you probably will be ok.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Thanks. So it certainly could be a possibility.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to give her a nesting box, and I've got some bricks of eco-earth. So I will go ahead and get that prepared for her. Also will have to find a way to get my incubator out here, or get a new one (just in case). Since this is my first time having iguanas, for all I know she may not be gravid at all. But time will tell.

Thank you for your tips and insight!
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:32 pm

not only can she retain sperm but she could also give virgin birth. definitely give her the nest box. good luck!!
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:52 pm

I hadn't heard of parthogenesis occurring with iguanas... But that would be cool.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm

It's happened with monitors i don't see why not with iguanas also!! probably how they reproduced in places like the galapogos and fiji in the early generations
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:01 pm

Just looked it up and yes Iguanas are known too

"Parthenogenic iguanids still perform courting rituals, even though they don’t mate, and both participants are female. My favourite example is the newly discovered Pink Land Iguana (Conolophus marthae), from the Galapagos islands. To be parthenogenic, and also pink, is extremely humourous to me!"

I don't know if that means she'd need another female to make it happen though?

Leiolepis ngovantrii (parthenogenic sand iguana)

Also confirmed in West Indies ( Iguana, Cyclura )
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Cool. That's good to know. Do you have a link so I can read the info/article?

Ice looked thin today. I searched for eggs, but didn't see any. Wondering what this could mean. Maybe she was just super fat?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Confirmed in West Indies ( Iguana, Cyclura )
https://www.coursehero.com/file/p55ek28 ... -6-lizard/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiolepis_ngovantrii

Found this : http://www.pnas.org/content/77/1/499.full.pdf
Has a bit about anoles doing it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=GaWD_ ... id&f=false

Someone mentioned this on a forum but the link to the article they got the info from as gone or not avialable to me as a guest " Two Iguanas give birth without insemination from male in England! "

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... w7-3nqEqUk

Article: The somatic chromosomes of 3 lizard species:Gekko gecko, Iguana iguana
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14325153
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks. I love reading about parthogenesis.

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”