PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Updates and fun stuff~

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

CitricPrincess

Updates and fun stuff~

Postby CitricPrincess » Wed May 04, 2016 12:14 am

So... I have some critters I have never introduced (technically one is an invertebrate, but as 2/3 of the stuff I'm putting in this post is reptile stuff, I figured I'd just stick it all in one post in the reptiles area) and some other fun news, that I'm eager to share here so YAY fun stuffs.

First of all, I've never introduced Rifter. He's a male anery cornsnake (with a list of hets that I have written down somewhere, but for now I don't have a girly for him so it doesn't really matter he's just being a pet). I've had him for a little bit, but I had previously gotten a cornsnake that didn't live long (some of it may've been my care, there are some things that I studied better and fixed before I got a new snake, improper heating/lighting mainly I believe my problem, I was working on some faulty information, and it may've been that it was a petstore snake, even though the reptiles at the petstore I go to always seem to be in really good health, not always easy to tell) But the point being I was a little uncertain of my ability to keep a snake and was afraid to announce his existence (though that insecurity was probably dumb and perhaps y'all could've been helpful or something, but I hadn't even noticed any sure signs of ailment for my previous snake until I found it dead. Actually looking back I may've had reason to worry, but hindset is 20/20.

ANYWAYS. I have recongifigured care, have things all nice and happy and well set up, and after a good few months of anxiety I managed to talk myself into trying again. This one I got from a breeder at a reptile expo in Tulsa and talked some to the breeder, confirming what my previous problems probably were and that my fixes should be fine for him. And so I brought home Rifter. As as I've had him since early February and he's growing and eating and generally being happy and adorable as a snake can be, I'm no longer feeling so anxious and realize I really should introduce him.

And then, in another announcements, I have some crested gecko eggs from Mana and Mokuba that I'm attempting to incubate. I've done much reading online and am doing my best to stick to that, but this is my first time attempting such a thing so I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, but there has to be a first attempt to gain experience, so... I think they are about a month old now, and they'll probably hatch around four months, I think?

ImageImage
Pics are of my early attempts at candling them, the eggs were at most a week old I think? (I'm pretty sure they were in the cresteds' terrarium at least a few days before I found them) taken with a phone camera so not the best. The one with the crease there had that when I found it, but has been doing as good, if not better than it's twin (it's still the larger of the two?) So that's exciting~

And then there is my newest arrival:

One of my pseudo-impulse purchases (I spend much time studying and collecting materials to house a pet I plan to get eventually but I didn't really necessarily plan to bring one home today till it happened) But this is a texas tan tarantuala, still just a little one~ I don't know sex (as far as I can tell you can't tell at this size?) and it doesn't have a name yet, but I got a simple enclosure nice and set up, though I may try to expand on it a little more as decor is currently a hide made out of a half buried plastic pot a long dead plant once came in, and the paired leaves pulled off a fake tree that he came with and it seems like it's set to get settled in. I've wanted a tarantula for a while , Texas Tan being near the top of my list, so when I saw this guy I had to bring him home. Yet another animal to the list of things I'm not gonna tell mom about if I want her to come visit any time soon.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Updates and fun stuff~

Postby Ash » Thu May 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Your corn snake is a cutie! I love their little faces and big eyes, lol.

Make sure you don't turn the eggs at all. Otherwise the yolk will likely detach from the membrane. Usually the tops are marked with a marker so that you always know which way is "up" for the egg. In snake eggs, yellow like that would mean infertile, but I know with tortoises it's completely different. So gecko eggs might be like tortoise eggs too. Are you using an incubator? Good luck hatching them!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 05, 2016 8:31 pm

I like the tarantula. :) Sexual dimorphism in tarantulas varies by species. The desert tarantulas where I live, for example, are easy--males have tibial spurs on their legs, females don't. (That's how I knew my tarantula was a boy.)

This site could help: http://www.tarantulas.com/sexing.html
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Thu May 05, 2016 8:49 pm

I have been very careful not to turn them at all, all the reading that is one of the first things in bold you see so I had that figured out before I even considered getting a second gecko ^.^ You can't see well in the picture 'cause its light, but I did put a little pencil check on each of them. Most of the yellow color is poor lighting between window, poor indoor lighting, the flashlight thing I was using, and my phone's camera hating me. If you look really closely, especially in that first one, you can see the red ring that should mark the egg as fertile if my research on cresteds is correct. and as such markers have only grown since then, I'm still very optimistic.

And thanks for that link. :3 I'll try to figure it out. I have settled on the name Crona, at my brother's suggestion.
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Thu May 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Double checking online, most crested eggs do look similarly yellow being candled and photographed. Oh, and the incubation. (Its finals week I'm a little spazzy) I did jurry rig a simple 'incubator' based on what I've read online and how breeders post that they incubate eggs. Pretty much they are in a vented tupperware thing on top of a damp bed of perlite, with a thermometer and a humidity gauge. Its a simple set up. Most sites agree that crested eggs are best incubated at about room temperature.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri May 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Awesome pets you've got there! I love Corn Snakes, we've got a couple of our own and they are really friendly, gorgeous and neither too active or too lazy. Ours have 50 gallon enclosures and they will use all of the space and multiple hides, as well as a moist hide (one of their favorite things) and a climbing branch.

We also have a tarantula. I have to admit I think tarantulas are cute, they're just so little and fuzzy. Ours is named Ronia after the Spanish word for Spider.
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Fri May 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Thank you, Gita! Yess, I love corn snakes. Adorable and so much variety, and they don't get as large as some other snakes. And Tarantulas are cute too. I find it hilarious, guiltily, 'cause small normal spiders always creep me out, like their awesome but if one is indoors walking freely I tend to freak, drop whatever I found it on and leave the room ^.^; I don't even know why. But I'm fairly neutral with scorpions (my younger brother used to have emperors and wants to get them again but he's currently in student housing at school) and I ADORE tarantulas. For some reason the smaller an arachnid is, the more it bugs me (some insects follow a similar pattern, like ants). It always kinda reminds me of this one ep of Kim Possible where Ron had a fear of bugs but then some chemical grew an ant to the size of a dog and it became his most beloved pet because at that size its actually cute. Related so much to that episode. Not that I don't like spiders, just my first instinct when they crawl near me is to drop everything and leave the room. Outdoors doesn't bug me as badly... But tarantulas, like the snakes, I've only recently gained the ability to get one 'cause previously I was living under Mom's roof. Somehow we had managed to talk her into letting my brother get the scorpion, but we could never talk her into letting me get the snake or a tarantula. (It may've had something to do with the fact that I had at the time 5+ betta fish and the cat was technically mine, but...) Although once I did show her my snake and her comment at seeing his size was "That's not a snake! That's just a worm! I guess I can be in the same house as a worm."

If I ever end up getting one of the truly large pythons or something and Mom complains, those words are coming back to bite her. Preferably with my elder brother present so we can make Tremors jokes. I do love my mother, but she is soo happy I moved out BEFORE using my own money on my own animals.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 06, 2016 8:53 pm

Cool to know about crested geckos. :) That's great about the color and that they will hatch at room temperature. How long is the incubation period? In other words, when do they babies come. :D
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Fri May 06, 2016 11:51 pm

Ah, I thought I had put that in my first post buy I guess I forgot. At room temperature they're supposed to hatch in about 120 days. I'm pretty sure, these guys should hatch about in time for next semester at school, or a bit before, late July/early August if I can math correctly (maybe not took calc final and that part of my brain declared summer hibernation)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 07, 2016 2:05 am

lol Please let us know if and when they hatch!
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Sat May 07, 2016 2:53 am

Will do!
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:03 am

Alright, so some awesome reptile updates, because I've been like completely silent for a while.

First of all, I got another snake. A ball python. He was sold as normal, but the dude told me he might be a morph called special. Hard to know. Either way he's awesome. My cousin and I went to a reptile expo. Promised each other we'd not let each other buy anything. We both came home with a $20 ball python. We are awesome. So here's my Nagisa:

I've had him for just over a month now. Reptiles are freaking living potato chips I swear, I'd have 50 more if I wasn't currently jobless and broke. I'm working on those though.

Should probably get a recent pic of Crona. Had a second tarantula for a while, but he came to me as a mature male and didn't live long. Otherwise no real update as far as the spiders.

Rifter is still doing well and growing up. And still pretty and happy. And evidently quite cheeky. My cousin came over and held him and he spent the whole time aiming for her cleavage o.O occasionally going so far as to feint elsewhere to distract her before aiming again. Crazy snake.

Actually, it was pretty awesome. I went to an expo just this last weekend and saw the people I bought Rifter from. They were so excited to get an update on how he was doing and were so happy to see recent pictures of him. Appearantly he's growing to look just like his mother. :3 I always love when people love to get updates on the critters they let into my care. I know I'd love it in their position.

And I might get the chance soon-

But here's the exciting news. The clutch of eggs I reported in my first post here didn't make it. They were poorly calcified and were eventually taken by maggots and leaking. -shudders- So I took a little to fix up Mana's diet better and make sure everything was good and let her rest, but eventually I did end up finding some new eggs from her in good condition. I haven't found any since these, I'm keeping an eye on Mana and her health, but the house has been a little cooler 'cause air conditioning for summer. so I'm not too worried. But the best news of all?

Tonight, one of the eggs hatched.

The second of this clutch hasn't hatched yet, but of course that means I'm obsessively checking it. But I'm so excited~ This is the first critter to be born to my care besides guppies. And he's so cute and little and precious and awesome. And distracting me from homework so there's that XD
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:09 pm

Aaaaw! Congratulations! The little baby is so cute, I want to hug it with my fingertips. :mrgreen: You must be proud and excited! I wonder if the other one is close to hatching. I'm sure you're anxiously waiting. It's great that you raised an animal that then laid eggs and now you have one hatch. I think that must be an awesome experience, and I'm still waiting for it to happen with my lizards. Anyway, I'm excited for you!

And you will love your ball. They are such cute little things! Timid, yet inquisitive and curious.

Oh, boy... lol, looks like you'e going to have to keep your corn snake on a tight leash from now on. :lol: :icon-wink: Well, snakes need tight, dark, and warm places afterall! :mrgreen:

By the way, I really laughed out loud when I read this line: "Reptiles are freaking living potato chips I swear." :mrgreen: Because it's SO true.
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:41 pm

=D

Actually egg #2 did hatch last night. I meant to come here an post it but things got away from me and I was distracted.
Such an awesome experiance I"m sooo excited. The first one that hatched will be going home with my best friend eventually. My original plan was to offer the second to some of my cousins who had fallen in love with the cresties last time they came to visit, but I think I might keep this one instead. Mana is looking quite gravid again so I'm gonna be keeping my eye out for more eggs soon. Then if I get another successful clutch of two I can offer both of those to my cousins and they won't have to share.

And yes, Rifter is kept close and secure XD He's actually going into shed right now so I'm trying to leave him be. Hopefully Nagisa will be doing the same soon. But I'm already enjoying my little ball. So different than the corn but just as lovable :3 I'm glad I made you laugh ^.^ Just gotta say what it is. Can't have just one, even if you try. I blame Mana. she started it for me.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Oh, yay! I'm glad number 2 is out and about. I'm sure that wherever they go, you'll be sure they go to good homes. So your cousins can wait if you want to keep one. ;P Have you considered getting any morphs to add to your little group? Not suggesting you get ahead of yourself, of course, but if you think this is something you may want to pursue, it's always good to think ahead. :)

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”