PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bearded dragon feeding

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

17degus

Bearded dragon feeding

Postby 17degus » Mon May 23, 2016 4:43 pm

Hey everyone
My bearded dragon struggles to hunt the crickets I feed him. He doesn't seem to see them, even when they are in front of his face, and he often misses them the first or second try,and they escape into his decorations which makes it hard for me to catch them again. It takes about 5-8 minutes to feed him as many as he will eat. How can I get him more interested in eating?
he is a rescue,1 year old, I feed him green beans, butternut squash, red pepper and he gets about 15 crickets daily with a calcium dust.

image.jpeg

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bearded dragon feeding

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Maybe he is vision impaired. Would he eat them killed or mixed into the greens instead so he doesn't have to see and catch them?
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon May 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Regardless of why he is having trouble catching crickets you could try hand or tong feeding, placing him in a small separate container with the crickets, placing crickets in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to slow them down. Some people will also remove or squeeze the rear legs so that they cannot jump.

I don't have time right now to either write out or search for a good link on beardie nutrition but I will later unless another member does so first.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
17degus

Postby 17degus » Tue May 24, 2016 1:46 am

I'll try feeding him in another container. Thanks
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue May 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Here's a chart to help with making the salad http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html . Good greens should be offered daily. Are you able to get other prey aside from the crickets? Variety is a good thing :)

My bearded dragon's favorite color (as far as attracting to food) is yellow so I put a few kernels of yellow corn or a yellow edible flower on top of his salad to attract his attention. Well, he doesn't need it anymore as he thinks he should be fed anytime his cage is opened but I still do it. Plus, one day I had nothing yellow and Mr. Dragon looked at his salad then looked at me like 'Hey! this is not what I ordered!'

My dragon has normal vision, but if I were to put a superworm/morio (favorite treat) right in front of his nose he wouldn't find it very well. He also isn't the best cricket catcher. I place live prey in at a side angle so he notices it right away. Your guy sounds normal but if you have concerns a good veterinarian can check him out.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 pm

The beardies at my work absolutely love dubia roaches and superworms. My salamander gets bored of her crickets quickly, but the second I offer a superworm chomps it down real quick.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”