PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Sick Bearded dragon?

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

17degus

Sick Bearded dragon?

Postby 17degus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:42 am

Hey all,
My bearded dragon Calcifer has not need acting his self for the last few days. He spends all his time in the cool end of his vivarium, either in or on top of his log. He constantly has a black beard and is more grumpy when I hold him. He won't eat any of his salad, he usually at least eats the red pepper. He picked at a few pheonix worms but not with his usual appetite.
•The UV lighting doesn't expire till christmass
•Temps are about 42 in the basking spot, 30 in the hot end and 25-28 in the cool end
•salad is made of dandelion greens, butternut squash, papaya, red pepper (although he hardly ever eats it. Any tips?)
•he is not impacted, he pood in his bath I don't have sand as a substrate
I am very worried, please help
Thanks
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
minervasden

Re: Sick Bearded dragon?

Postby minervasden » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:52 pm

If his behavior is off enough to have you concerned, give your vet a call. It is better safe than sorry. The symptoms are a bit generic so can be several possibilities for the problem. Double checking your husbandry is a first step. I'd have to convert your temps but I do remember seeing the basking temp listed as 40-43 once so sounds like you are ok for that. Double check that your thermometers or temp gun are working properly. Double check your lighting is correct- What type of bulb, what level 5.0, 10.0, other ?, distance from basking site? I see you mention the bulb éxpires' at Christmas but how long has it been in use?

Have you had a parasite check done? Tried varying the diet? Is he well hydrated? Rescues and vets see many dehydrated beardies as people seem to think hydration isn't an important issue for arid types. Sand isn't the only substrate that can cause impactions. Anything that could be a new stress he needs to adapt to?

Has there been any severe weather? I ask because when we are having storms my beardie goes a bit óff' even if all enclosure parameters are normal. Outside factors can have influence.

Bearded dragons will also bruminate although this is usually a fall/winter thing. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Brumation.html
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
17degus

Postby 17degus » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:13 am

The UVB bulb has been in use for 3 months. I haven't had a parasite check done, but he shows no signs of it, in addition to his salad he gets various different fruits, he has a bath every week And fresh water at all times, this substrate is tiles so there is no way he could of eaten those. It's been very warm recently.
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Breeding season perhaps?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Brumination and illness have a lot of overlapping signs. Your veterinarian can rule out illness and a visit may be a good idea. It may become easier to tell as you gain more experience with lizards.

Breeding season I don't have any experience with. Personally, I'd expect them to be more active if ready to mate.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”