PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What kinds of lizards are these?

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

What kinds of lizards are these?

Postby caninesrock » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:17 pm

So, I snapped some pics of native lizards here in Texas. I was wondering if anyone knew what species they are? Sorry about the last one. It's super blurry and I didn't get good pic before the little guy scampered off. I don't know if much can be told by the last one since its so blurry. But maybe some reptile people can help me identify the first 3 atleast? That 4th one in the blurry photo was super tiny btw if that helps any. Not sure if was a baby or just a tiny species.

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What kinds of lizards are these?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:44 pm

I think brown anoles.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:43 am

Yes, brown anoles. They actually aren't native.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Wait. All of them are the same species even though they were all different colors, shapes, and sizes?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Well the one on the hose might be a tree lizard. They all seem pretty small in your photos and all brown. But sizes vary even in one species male female difference and they are not hatched/born full grown. Brown anoles are only about a half inch when hatched but grow up to 8 inches. Colors and patterns can vary some within a species too.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:20 pm

The first picture isn't too clear with just an under the head view but that's an anole head.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Apparently we have a native lizard here called a Green Anole that is being pushed out by invasive Brown Anoles.

http://houstonarboretum.org/2015/09/new ... own-anole/

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-p ... er-cousin/

According to Wikipedia, another name for them is the Carolina Anole.

Here's some pics from wiki.

The heads of these look super similar to the first lizard with even the white spot on the underchin.

Two colors of Green Anoles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_anole

But the brown Anoles look like the second guy:

Any chance some of them are actually Green/Carolina Anoles? Green Anoles can also come in shades of brown.

I think maybe the first one is a green anole, the second a brown anole, the third I'm not sure, and the 4th was probably a baby brown or green anole since it was really tiny.

At any rate, thanks everyone for mentioning anoles because I'd never heard of them before and had no idea that that is what the "backyard lizards" are called. Also, does anyone know if its legal to keep either Green or Brown Anoles as pets? Do people kept them as pets? Would it be legal to catch one and put in some kind of lizard tank you bought from a pet store? I like the Brown Anoles cause their heads kind of remind me of tiny Komodo Dragons. :lol:

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:32 pm

Green anoles are sold as pets and sometimes as food for other pets. I don't know for sure on TX laws for lizards though.

It would seem the brown version of the green anoles don't have the pattern to them that the brown anoles do.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:51 pm

The first picture could be a green anole but seeing the body would be helpful. Pictures 2-3 are all browns. Picture 4 though blurry fits a brown silhouette.

Browns are also sold as pets. Actually, most pet stores have the browns and greens housed together. They sell for under $10 so are often disposable pets for kids who want a lizard. And of course the parents won't provide a proper setup for a inexpensive lizard.

Edit: Forgot to mention the dorsal patterns of male and female brown anoles differ.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Cool that they are available as pets. When I am in a proper situation, I may get one of each species (Green and Brown) as starter lizards and starter reptiles in general since I don't know much about reptiles. I think eventually it would be cool to have a larger lizard though like an iguana or a monitor. One of my uncle's friends' husband has a pet iguana. He lets it free roam the house and it was super calm and just sat there and let me pet it. It was also pretty big compared to these anoles. I would say it was more small dog or cat-sized. I have never seen a monitor lizard in person, but I first saw them by watching the now ended Disney channel show Jessie where one of the children had a pet monitor lizard named Mr./Mrs. Kipling.
They remind me a bit of Komodo Dragons too but are legal to have since not endangered as far as I'm aware, so probably the closest lizard to a Komodo Dargon that can be privately owned. The Monitor looked much bigger than the Iguana, but I've never actually seen one on person, and it was only on tv so I don't know for sure since cameras seem to have a way of distorting the sizes of things.

Anyway though, back of the topic of anoles as pets, how long do they generally live for in captivity assuming they are properly cared for and not used as a cheap "throw-away" pet :/ ?

minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Care sheet for Green Anole http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Green-Anole/
Brown Anoles http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Lizard-Species/Brown-Anole/

The brown anole care sheet is a bit skimpy but the important thing is browns need a larger enclosure footprint than the greens. When getting an anole try to get a smaller individual. This way you'll get a young specimen and have more time with it.

If you like the greens but wish they were a little larger take a look at the Haitian White Lipped Anole. They are in the pet trade although I don't know how common they are. http://eol.org/pages/453336/overview

Just as an aside, anoles were the first exotic (not native to Ohio) lizards I had. My aunt started buying me greens when I was 4, browns were added when they became available and I bought a white lipped after winning a contest for my age division. The prize was $10 and the cheapest lizard was $11+ tax (thanks mom :icon-wink: )

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”