please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Semi aquatic frog/toad

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

17degus

Semi aquatic frog/toad

Postby 17degus » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:55 am

What are good semi aquatic frog/toads? Beginner level. Not too small and can be handled occasionally? I like pixie frogs but I have heard they are not very active, some activity would be good. Thanks. It would be good if it liked to swim
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
minervasden

Re: Semi aquatic frog/toad

Postby minervasden » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:32 am

Fire-bellied toads. I only have experience with orientals but take a look at the other species as well. Fairly active and awake during the day so make a great display to watch. Can be kept in groups which is much more entertaining and active than a lone specimen. Spend time on land and in water. Include some live plants and filtration for the water.

Regarding handling it is best not to handle amphibians unless necessary. Even with individuals or species which aren't stressed about handling our skin oils or residues of nicotine, sunscreens, soaps, etc. can be harmful to them. Also, depending on species. you could end up having one outside the needed environment too long. That said, if you absolutely must handle for more than a quick transfer/maintenance best to wear exam gloves and wet them first.

I've heard of rare localized skin reactions to fire bellies. Probably more likely if you have sensitive skin or are prone to allergic reactions. Gloves would prevent this.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
17degus

Postby 17degus » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:28 am

minervasden wrote:Fire-bellied toads. I only have experience with orientals but take a look at the other species as well. Fairly active and awake during the day so make a great display to watch. Can be kept in groups which is much more entertaining and active than a lone specimen. Spend time on land and in water. Include some live plants and filtration for the water.

Regarding handling it is best not to handle amphibians unless necessary. Even with individuals or species which aren't stressed about handling our skin oils or residues of nicotine, sunscreens, soaps, etc. can be harmful to them. Also, depending on species. you could end up having one outside the needed environment too long. That said, if you absolutely must handle for more than a quick transfer/maintenance best to wear exam gloves and wet them first.

I've heard of rare localized skin reactions to fire bellies. Probably more likely if you have sensitive skin or are prone to allergic reactions. Gloves would prevent this.

Thank you, I like the look of them. Can I have live plants in the tank? I would like to make it pretty
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:53 am

Yes, you can use live plants. You can make some really nice naturalistic setups for them.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”