PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Nile Monitor Spay

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nile Monitor Spay

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:00 pm

My nile monitor Anuket was not doing well this past week. Last Monday she swelled up like a balloon and couldn't even lift her head. The next day, she was better. Over the next few days however, her health began to decline again. It was time to take her into the vet. She was x-rayed and the vet took blood work. Her blood levels came back all fine, but the x-ray showed a lot of fluid in her abdomen and some shapes that looked like eggs. The amount of fluid was concerning, and since it seemed like there were eggs, we decided to spay her the next day.

Well, there were LOTS of eggs and the vet said she would have been unable to pass them. One of the eggs had ruptured in the last week as well which was making her swell up. I asked for photos during the surgery, so the vet took some for me. Not for the squeamish, but I thought they were pretty darn cool.

This was only HALF of the eggs inside her.

AnuketsEggs02.jpg

AnuketsEggs01.jpg

And here she is recovering.

AnuketsEggs03.jpg

And now she's awake. :)

AnuketsEggs04.jpg

The vet said that the spay was great with no complications, and that she should be better very, very soon. Apparently since their skin is so thick on their stomachs they don't have too many nerve endings. So she'll mostly be uncomfortable but not in too much pain. The vet will send her home with some painkillers today. I haven't picked her up yet, but I'm excited to see her. I'm very grateful everything went so well!

Anyway, I thought these photos would be great for educational purposes so wanted to share them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kagney

Re: Nile Monitor Spay

Postby Kagney » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Wow, I had no idea that you actually could spay reptiles. (Never owned any, so I guess that's why)
Glad she's going to be ok. The surgery pics are really neat, glad you've shared them.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Glad she did well. It's great you got photos.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:55 pm

It was pretty cool to get pictures. :) I wish I could have stayed in on the surgery, but I had to do other things so couldn't ask.

Yeah, lizards get spayed and neutered all the time by exotic veterinarians. It's pretty awesome where reptile treatment and medicine is going.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”