PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Fire-bellied newts info?

Snakes, Lizards, Salamanders, Turtles, Frogs, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

FoxAdorer817

Fire-bellied newts info?

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:08 pm

I realize these are amphibians, but there isn't an amphibian section... So, I'm just looking on how to care for fire-bellied newts.
Thanks. :)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
FrothingMagpies

Re: Fire-bellied newts info?

Postby FrothingMagpies » Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 am

I used to have them, they're really easy to care for! There are two kinds, Chinese and Japanese. Basically Chinese are warty and brown on top, Japanese are smaller, smooth skinned and jet black on top. They're happy to live in colonies of their own kind (that is, Chinese with Chinese, Japanese with Japanese). I fed mine frozen bloodworms & these wierd gel pouches you could get from tropical fish of pureed krill & things because they were too small to eat whole ones.
The ratio of land to water you need depends on the individual newts, but at least provide some bog wood for them to sleep on. It's best to have sloping pond stones, so they have a deep end & a shallow end & a place to crawl onto land. They love it if you put elodea in the water part (if they breed that's where they'll attach the eggs) & ivy and sphagnum moss on the land section.
They dislike bright lights & don't need a heater. I have always read that you need a filter, but from what I saw of mine they hated it :( I got the weakest one i could find but it was still too strong & they didn't really need one anyway so I just gave it away to a friend.
Newts can live up to 18 years, but they're quite fragile, so buy a few more than you intend to keep, because the stress of moving homes will sadly kill off a few.

They were very cute chaps, perfect beginners pets for the newt/salamander admirer/newbie :3

Return to “Herptiles - REPTILES and amphibians”