Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Photophile Thread

For photos by members and discussion of photo and picture taking, gear etc. Mostly centered around taking photos of pets and animals.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Photophile Thread

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 20, 2017 3:16 pm

So some of us here seem to be into photography so thought I'd make us a thread where we can talk about cameras and photo taking.

Thought about it before but making it gives me a place to post about last night. So I have the Nikon P7700 It's taken some abuse and there are some things I dislike but it takes good photos and is fantastic at dim and even no light photography(using flash and it's focus assist), that other cameras have seriously failed at. So had my eye on a really nice camera as if I changed wanted it to be worth it but was waiting because of price. I'm trying to spend less for awhile.

Well. The rubber grip had come off my camera and I hadn't replaced it yet amd wasn't using thw rist laniard since was just walking across the room ,well it jumped out of my hand last night. Without the rubber grip as padding it hit hard and wouldn't come back on. I fiddled with it and changed battery and the card but nope, dead. So, in a mix of I can't survive without a good camera and everything is going wrong anyway, I hopped on and bought the camera kit I had been drooling over.

I'm so excited. Other plus is I got the P7700 to work after all with some strategically placed wadded paper and tape, lol. So I wont be without while I wait and can still use it for no light photos of anteaters.

So I'm getting the Sony a6500 Mirrorless Camera, aka a DSLM. Camera system with a compact body because no mirror but with interchangeable lenses. This will give me the portability I'm used to in my current, not quite a pocket camera. It's got 4k video, the new thing that makes 1080p look like 420p, apparently. One professional photographer uses this as his main camera and uses converter rings to attach all kinds of lenses to it.

Comes with 16-50mm Lens and 55-210mm lens instead of the not so great typical kit lens, plus all the stuff pictured. Mostly typical stuff but if the video editor is good that will be nice. And the external flash as well due to poor lighting set up of my room.

I also bought the accidental protection plan though I know reviews on that aren't great I gave it a shot anyway. To try and prevent my having to use it I bought separately a protective skin and I'll work on making the wrist lanyard a habit in the home too and not just when out. So far every camera I killed I did so at home because of this cement floor.

Juska

Re: Photophile Thread

Postby Juska » Sun May 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Wow, that's a lot of goodies! I had to Google "DSLM", never heard of that term before haha. I like the style of that camera; I hope it works well for what you need!

I have a Nikon D200 body, and my favorite lens is a plain old Nikon 18-55mm. I also have a 28-105mm that my mother gave me.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Thank you. I hope so. I did a lot of research and this seems the best I can afford, for what I want.

I tried a Nikon D5200 and it took nice still life or portrait since it had a nice sensor but being a cheap model they seemed to have hobbled it and didn't suit my needs since I take a lot of action shots of the pets. It also was just too big and heavy and so I got to thinking they have all kinds of nice compacts that do great things why don't they make smaller cameras with interchangeable lenses. And that's when I discovered they do, DSLMs :) Hopefully I can make this thing survive a long time to justify the price.

Yeah, normally the packages are really a bunch of junk but this has some nice stuff, especially being it has two lenses already for a nice wide range. The D5200 just had the standard kit leans and I saw the limitations with that pretty quick. On the plus side I had not used it much and was able to sell it for a bit more than I had bought it for, so was kind of like I just rented it for a bit.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:26 am

Okay I've had it awhile and tested it out and even did side by side video with my old one and it gets much better video. The image stabilization with video is awesome and much appreciated since I have essential tremor. Takes great action shots of Ikigai instead of a blur. I even managed to get a shot of a soaring vulture with the 200mm, not a good one ha but I actually got one where you can tell what it is. I was just messing around seeing how far it would zoom with the 200mm and the special cropping zoom (forget the name) and got a picture of a crow I couldn't even see was there. Can't crop that one post though because zooming at all it loos digitally weird but that's from movement of the leaves and tree from wind and a zoom on a fence didn't do that. It even does great with low and even no light with flash. Really quite happy with it now that I'm getting used to it.

Here's some shots.
ImageIkigai Fennec Closeup by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
ImageBarn by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
ImageFennec Fur by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Focus is a bit more on the plant than him
ImageAhhhh, refreshing. by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Action, using the video light, which wasn't the nice one in the photo but not worth hassling them about.
ImageFennec Toy Play by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

No flash and no light except the little that makes it in the windows and the orange night light
ImageAurora by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

ImageFennec Licking Condensation by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

PS: Found a less expensive option to fixing my other computer for now and bought a inexpensive but good 1080Hd monitor, coming tomorrow.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Just calibrated the new screen. Wow that made a huge difference.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:58 am

Looks great!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Thank you. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I'm finding it focuses better in manual rather than auto but that's okay since that's what I want to use mostly. Just a little odd.

Also the smaller kit leans doesn't have a manual focus ring, so that's annoying, but I guess that's what you get with a little cheap lens but touch focus works good when in manual. Mainly noticed with trick things like trying to focus on Ikigai through his caging. Always focuses on caging in auto but touch him on the screen in manual and it gets it right. Not entirely sure why the discrepancy but best guess is auto mod selecting scenes for you and getting it wrong, but would still expect touching to refocus to work. Not really important but just odd.

But over all is really good AF even if dim or in the dark.

Only other thing I notice was a bit of warping in a couple photos. My best guess is it just wasn't a high enough shutter speed and maybe the image stabilization caused it instead of blurring.

Return to “Photos & Photography”