PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Can you own a pet Gorilla?

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Can you own a pet Gorilla?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Or are they completely illegal? I'm def not getting a Gorilla I'm just curious. But having a companion like that would keep the criminals out of my house. :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you own a pet Gorilla?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Gorillas are listed as endangered by USFW so no you can't have one.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:47 pm

I'd be kind of freaked out living with a gorilla, lol. :lol: When I see them at the zoos I always get nervous and worry they'll break the glass barrier and get out or something. :roll: Kind of an irrational fear, though in this past year I think an AZA zoo did have a gorilla get loose--but fortunately nothing happened. Reading that did nothing to ease my worries!

I really admire the people who get the chance to work around gorillas and chimpanzees though.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:25 am

I have no love for great apes. They're too loud, violent, and dirty. The chimps I worked around for my short time at the primate center, were constantly displaying, and super loud. They eventually would chill out enough to pick out their personality quirks, but for someone that doesn't like loud sounds, their screams were unbearable to me. And the smell when you walk into building where they sleep.... :nogif: Not a fan.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:17 am

They're too loud, violent, and dirty.

I know a few humans like this haha.

I personally have no interest in owning primates, though meeting a chimp or something is something I'd like to do. Gorilla's are really beautiful and interesting, but also intimidating. Can't imagine what that would be like to walk into a house to rob and be approached by an adult gorilla...bahahahaha.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:04 am

the_unstable wrote:
They're too loud, violent, and dirty.

I know a few humans like this haha.

I thought the same thing when I typed it.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:11 pm

I really like Orangutangs and Lars Gibbons

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7071/722 ... 3e061a.jpg

Orangs are way too big, but if I was rich and could build a big enclosure i'd love some white lars Gibbons, very beautiful animals. No clue how their temperment is though. Love how they brachiate through trees, so graceful.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:53 pm

I'd rather observe them in the wild. They're just too overwhelmingly strong and clever. I'm not a fan of them at all because of how closely they resemble humans in their behavior. Primates and Dolphins are on my list of animals I just wouldn't trust to be alone with. They both seek out and murder each other purely over territory/mating rights. They even go after babies. So yeah, don't like 'em.

It is unfortunate that they're endangered though. No matter how much I don't care for an animal personally, I still don't think they should be hunted/poached to extinction.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Lemurs seem pretty good long as fixed for ringtails males are best but other lemurs are even better since they don't like in the big groups like ringtails.

The owl monkeys seem sweet too but I'm not a monkey or primate fan either. I might consider a lemur though.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:40 pm

The primates that I do really like are marmosets and tamarins--probably because they really don't look humanoid at all to me. They just look like balls of fluff.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:12 am

TG, I'm the same. I don't really want a monkey/ape but I would love a lemur
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Maybe this will change some of your minds and see them as emotional creatures too than just big and intimidating! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQCOHUXmEZg

Return to “PRIMATES”