PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Does anyone know why Illinois recently banned pet Monkeys?

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Does anyone know why Illinois recently banned pet Monkeys?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:21 pm

As a kid I remembered seeing Spider Monkeys in almost every pet store available to buy in Illinois and knew of quite a few people who had them and said they made great pets. Only thing bad I heard really of Spider monkeys is they can be very messy and they like getting into things. Why did Illinois put a ban on owning pet Monkeys? It seems you can't own anything in this dumb state anymore except a Dog or a Cat. So ready to get out of Illinois! But not because I want to own an exotic animal I have alot of other reasons I want out of Illinois. lol.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone know why Illinois recently banned pet Monkey

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Same reason for the bans all over people buy into the AR mindset that exotics are bad. They also have a tendency to lump all things together so they push a bill banning big dangerous chimps and it really bans all primates even little ones.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:44 pm

It happened after that awful chimp attack where the chimp ripped off the lady's face. A very sad situation, but it caused a lot of unneeded outcry against primate ownership. And as TamanduaGirl said, AR groups try to lump all primates into the same category of dangerousness as chimps and gorillas, so they all just got banned at the same time.

With a USDA license and permission from the state, you can own one though.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Mike13

Postby Mike13 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am

I guess people all over the world heard about the chimp attack - because it seemed like such a freak event (albeit - awful for the poor woman who that happened to). But I must say I know I'd rather take my chances in a pen with a Spider Monkey than a chimp any day! It seems a bit crazy and over reactive to lump all primates into the same bracket and just ban people keeping them altogether. I agree completely out of touch! I guess like us, they all have such different personalities - you will get the odd nasty one but how many nasty humans do you hear about on the news?!
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey everyone, I know I've been away for awhile and thus this post if old, but does anyone know the process of getting a permit for a small monkey or lemur in illinois? I didnt know they were giving any kind of permit for them. Is if a thing where only animal eductors can get them?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Realtree1 wrote:Hey everyone, I know I've been away for awhile and thus this post if old, but does anyone know the process of getting a permit for a small monkey or lemur in illinois? I didnt know they were giving any kind of permit for them. Is if a thing where only animal eductors can get them?

They only give the permits to USDA-licensed people, and once you're USDA, you apply for the permit to own the primate with the state. They will ensure that you have a USDA license, proper housing, proper diet, safeguards to prevent escape, etc., and then they'll grant you the permit if everything is in order. Not too bad, really, assuming that they follow their own rules.

As for a lemur though, you wouldn't be able to buy one from out of state. You would have to buy it from in state since they are an endangered species and can't cross state lines. So you would still have to find someone in Illinois who already has them and is breeding them. It might be hard though since they can't sell them to individuals anymore--makes it difficult to place all the babies.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “PRIMATES”