https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My Child is a Monkey

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

My Child is a Monkey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTY9pWETrhA

So, here's a documentary I just stumbled upon. I just watched the first minute and had to comment:

"Just watched the intro (will watch the rest later), and so far it looks EXACTLY like living with parrots. Super high-maintenance, highly intelligent wild animals that get extremely possessive, and will bite both their "beloved", and everyone else. Also they live far longer, for more than fifty years. Yet there is no controversy surrounding parrots, and in the US, even macaws and cockatoos are still being sold in droves in pet stores, free for anyone with the cash to pick up."

It's a bit unfortunate, both ways, that monkeys are such a controversy. 1) Parrots deserve to be thought of as more than "Pollywannacracker! RAAWK" (i.e. a "brainless bird"), 2) The monkey hysteria is overkill, as is the one about big cats and big snakes. If you want to ban good owners whose animals have awesome lives, you're going overkill.

Now as for the actual film...

That first owner of a rehomed capuchin, I'm just thinking - what did he expect? Bringing an adult monkey (that the seller explicitly said shouldn't be a pet) they don't know, into a home with small kids and another on the way, and in tiny cages at that.

So the film starts with an (excuse me) idiot owner who went in way over his head, plays ominous music, and simply pulls the diagnosis: "It's unnatural."
They bring in a capuchin "expert", and her only diagnosis of the situation is exactly the same, "It's not natural, it's not like the wild".
And at the end, a sanctuary owner comes with her best argument "It's wrong wrong wrong" (literally what she says).

It's definitely set out to set the viewer against monkey ownership - everything that is done in the film, is immediately responded to by their one monkey "expert".

There seems to be five owners shown in the film, and while overall it's definitely set out to "expose" monkey ownership, I don't feel it's as bad or sensationalistic as Elephant in the Living Room or The Tiger Next Door. But certainly not balanced.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Child is a Monkey

Postby pat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 am

I seen that before.
the guy that kept his monkey in such a small cage must lack some common sense. most animals that are kept in too small a cage is going to be aggressive.

pulling all the teeth from a monkey is down right cruel. I can "maybe" understand the canines, but, that is it.
not even too keen about that.

the woman that fed her monkey whatever it wanted, lots of junk food and later finds out the monkey has diabetes. well, what the hell did she expect would happen to the monkey :roll:

I just wish people that are interested and want any exotic or even domestic pet, MUST understand their behavior and needs.
also, people with small children should not consider most exotics.

because of the people that lack the understanding of the proper care of these animals, all the owners gets a bad wrap.

I agree, some parrots can be pretty bitey, but, I don't think as dangerous as the larger exotics: (some monkeys, tigers, bears) it usually boils down to how the owner handles them and their knowledge :shrug:

thanks for the post.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:42 am

Well, my comparison with parrots was as I said, why is there no controversy about them?
People fly in the ceiling over even very well-kept big cats, because "It's cruel!!!11" (not because they're dangerous).
And pretty much all the problems they brought up about monkeys, I see in parrots as well (and of course, also to some extent with common domestics like dogs and cats). Parrots and small monkeys are probably in the same "danger" level; they can cause bad flesh wounds and even disfigure you for life, but not kill anyone.
And also a similar level of intelligence and "high-maintenanceness".
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:38 am

Well, my comparison with parrots was as I said, why is there no controversy about them?

wonder if it is because they are not in wild in the U.S. but on another note, neither is monkeys that I know of.
or, could it be cause parrots are smaller and people think they are safe :shrug:
on another note, parrots don't have teeth like a monkey does. :shrug:

just my speculation..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:04 pm

I think the main reason why people think that it's cruel to keep monkeys as pets but not birds is that, despite being of equal intelligence, monkeys are seen as more human-like and perhaps that necessitates more independence from human desires. Not that I agree, but monkeys evoke a sort of kinship in a lot of people that parrots just don't.

But, honestly, if we're talking about intelligence factoring into the acceptability of keeping animals, why do we keep dogs and cats? Last I heard, the scientific community believes they have an average intelligence of a 2-3 year old human as far as capabilities of learning goes.

Bottom line: People like to cherry pick.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:08 am

Exactly.

In Sweden it is, as I've said several times before, illegal to keep monkeys privately (don't know about other primates like lemurs, some say so, but I can find no proof of it).

And it's because they are very high-maintenance, intelligent, messy animals that bite and most people can't handle.
Same for most parrots, especially the large ones.
Now I don't want parrots to be illegal obviously (nor any other animal), but it's just such a hypocrisy.
It really does seem to be that monkeys are "almost humans", while parrots are seen as just "dumb birds".

Also the "dangerous animals" - so I can keep a Gaboon viper, spitting cobra or rhinoceros... but not a fox or lynx. :lol:

These animal bans are all about emotions, not facts or reason.

(And also, pigs are extremely intelligent. Yet they can be cooped up in areas not even big enough for them to turn around in, that's all fine, even in our "advanced" nations...)
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:33 am

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 pm

I thought Barcraft TV usually showed good videos. :roll:

I couldn't agree more with this YT comment:

Frida Nyberg1 hour ago
This "documentary" is a big bunch of bullshit.
Imagine if dogs were really rare pets. At most, you'd have some cousin's friend's friend who owned one, or you had seen them once or twice. The majority of society never met pet dogs, and did not understand why anyone would want them.

Then a "documentary" shows up, that shows you puppy mills, backyard breeders selling to anyone with the cash. Extreme show breeding to breed for the most insane shapes, that make the dogs unhealthy and sometimes, unable to move, mate, give birth and even BREATHE or EAT normally. You'd see owners who just got a dog "because", and left them alone for ten hours every day, then threw them some food and took them for a walk once a week. You'd see owners who loved their dogs, but did not understand them at all, and so the dogs developed psychological issues.

You'd see all this, and instantly, society would be SCREAMING for dog ownership to be banned! All of them! Obviously, these dogs are suffering! Obviously, it must be stopped!
Meanwhile, ignoring the majority of dog owners who get their animals legally and ethically, and took excellent care of their furry family members.

This is exactly what this joke of a documentary is doing. They take the most irresponsible owners they can find, some highly biased "sanctuary" owners ("it's WRONG WRONG WRONG" is not an argument, lady), and make up your mind for you.

It's truly a joke. I don't own monkeys myself, I never will and don't want to, but I will defend to my last breath responsible owners of exotics, the type that THESE FILMS DON'T SHOW YOU BECAUSE THEY'VE MADE UP YOUR MIND FOR YOU.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Oh, but people don't like it when you use logical comparisons to other, more common animals :| It makes too much sense and they get angry over it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Yeo, just another mockumentary slandering exotic pet owners.

This is literally like making a documentary showcasing aggressive pit bulls with poor owners, then using these cases to state that all pit bulls are dangerous and unsuitable to be kept as pets. :roll:

The only difference is that pit bulls have organizations and people to speak up against the misinformation and prejudice... Exotic pet owners are shunned and abandoned. :red-face:

I made this comparison, since as stated above, monkeys and some species of birds (like macaws) are very similar and require a lot of care when kept as pets.

5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Awesome stuff. Can I use these? :)
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Ash wrote:I thought Barcraft TV usually showed good videos. :roll:

I couldn't agree more with this YT comment:

Frida Nyberg1 hour ago
This "documentary" is a big bunch of bullshit.
Imagine if dogs were really rare pets. At most, you'd have some cousin's friend's friend who owned one, or you had seen them once or twice. The majority of society never met pet dogs, and did not understand why anyone would want them.

Then a "documentary" shows up, that shows you puppy mills, backyard breeders selling to anyone with the cash. Extreme show breeding to breed for the most insane shapes, that make the dogs unhealthy and sometimes, unable to move, mate, give birth and even BREATHE or EAT normally. You'd see owners who just got a dog "because", and left them alone for ten hours every day, then threw them some food and took them for a walk once a week. You'd see owners who loved their dogs, but did not understand them at all, and so the dogs developed psychological issues.

You'd see all this, and instantly, society would be SCREAMING for dog ownership to be banned! All of them! Obviously, these dogs are suffering! Obviously, it must be stopped!
Meanwhile, ignoring the majority of dog owners who get their animals legally and ethically, and took excellent care of their furry family members.

This is exactly what this joke of a documentary is doing. They take the most irresponsible owners they can find, some highly biased "sanctuary" owners ("it's WRONG WRONG WRONG" is not an argument, lady), and make up your mind for you.

It's truly a joke. I don't own monkeys myself, I never will and don't want to, but I will defend to my last breath responsible owners of exotics, the type that THESE FILMS DON'T SHOW YOU BECAUSE THEY'VE MADE UP YOUR MIND FOR YOU.

Frida Nyberg is me, so thanks. :lol:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:53 pm

:lol: That is so funny! Well, it was WELL-written!!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:25 am

Nìmwey wrote:Awesome stuff. Can I use these? :)

Peacefulward? icon-smile
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Nìmwey wrote:
Nìmwey wrote:Awesome stuff. Can I use these? :)

Peacefulward? icon-smile

Of course! (Sorry for the late reply :red-face:)
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).

Return to “PRIMATES”