PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Why is having tame primates considered wrong by some?

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Gryffindor

Why is having tame primates considered wrong by some?

Postby Gryffindor » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:53 pm

For future reference I wanted to read info from other primate owners (especially with bushbabies, ringtailed lemurs, marmosets, squirrels, tamarins) or from people who have knowledge of primates. I particularly want to learn more about their behavior. I'm a bit confused about why some people say that primates shouldn't be friendly with keepers.

I'm all for keeping primates in naturalistic outdoor enclosures with others of their kind, which is how I'll keep my future primates, but I don't get why some experienced keepers (like this one guy, Peter, on a UK exotic forum, he has lots of marms and tams) act as if you should leave them alone and that it stresses them to handle them.

I haven't heard that in regards to bushbabies and lemurs (and I haven't found much on squirrels) but have for marms and tams. Are they just easily stressed? But then, some sources I've read have people with tame adult marms/tams. So I don't know what to believe.

I'm fine with not having "pet" primates and just enjoy watching them in their enclosure and thinking up new ways to keep them entertained etc, I love caring for animals, observing, and just being a 'keeper'. But if there's no harm in having friendly primates then I see no reason not to. If nothing else it'd surely make it easier (and less stressful for all concerned) to care for them if they get sick and need to be handled to administer meds.

So, does anyone know anything about this or know of any primate owners that I can ask? :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why is having tame primates considered wrong by some?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:53 pm

Uk frowns on bottle feeding. They kind of demonize any breeders who do it (opening at least). So yeah handling them will be stressful since not tamed properly.

It's also pushed by zoos and AR but not really by keepers privately in the US that I know of, at least not ones that aren't of AR mindset that private keepers are bad. As you said tame animals are easier to care for. You don't want to have to sedate your animal every time you want to give it a check over for something.
Gryffindor

Re: Why is having tame primates considered wrong by some?

Postby Gryffindor » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Oh that makes sense, I was just so confused by the complete 360 of different viewpoints. I have read some good accounts from US breeders but wasn't sure who to trust.

Tbh some of the so called UK experts I've run across are quite snobby (really can't stand the UK exotic forums at the moment, I much prefer this one) and think only they know best and are very judgmental of American exotic keepers (not just disagreeing on certain viewpoints but making completely uncalled for statements). I think they humanize primates too much as well. Love British people, but a good few in the exotic crowd can be really annoying. They agree with too many of AR's principles, sometimes I wonder whose side they're on.

So I'm really glad there's nothing wrong with having tame primates and now I know who to trust when doing my research and I don't have to feel guilty at the thought of getting bottle babies icon-smile

Return to “PRIMATES”