ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

BEST pet primate

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

The Herper

BEST pet primate

Postby The Herper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:30 am

It has always been a daydream of mine to get some sort of pet primate the future. In the chance that I actually go through with it at some point, I'd like to get a general consensus on the species of primate best suited as a pet.

Information seems conflicting on the general web. One source says (insert primate species) is sweet and makes a wonderful pet, and another goes on an anecdote about the time that species destroyed every piece of furniture in their house and tred to bite their finger off.

So from all of your experience and knowledge, what specie(s) would you say makes the best pet material?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BEST pet primate

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:39 pm

I have no experience here with primates, but I wanted to say that it is likely that the conflicting info you are getting is... accurate. Any animal can be a "great" pet--depending on what you're looking for in an animal, of course. What may make a great pet for one person though, is going to be an absolute nightmare for others.

So maybe to help others who can answer your question better, what do you mean be "BEST" pet primate? Are you wondering about the easiest to tame? The least messy? One that requires easier care? The most common?

The best thing to do would be to look at the pros as well as the cons with each species (like you're already doing :icon-wink: ). And then based on weighing the good and the bad, you'll be able to determine which primate would be BEST for you.

I've run into several people in the herp community who keep marmosets of all things. I'm always surprised to see primate owners in the herp groups, lol. So I see marmosets as being something that is easier to obtain and is likely easier to keep than something like, say, a capuchin, lol. But I've also heard horrible stories about marmosets being vicious. So once again, it's up to you to determine whether or not the pros outweigh the cons, or if you are okay with the cons that there are.

Hopefully someone else chimes in here. Primates aren't my specialty by any means, but I figured I could pitch in my 2 cents regarding what makes the "best" pet. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Marmosets are a pretty good choice since they are small. All primate species tend to have some aggression issues.

Owl monkeys are not common and bond well but get aggressive with other primates once grown.
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:33 am

Thanks for the input guys!

Ash: I guess I should've been more specific. I meant "best" as in tameablility and ease of care. I know how much behaviour can vary within a species. I was just trying to gauge the community to find a general consensus on which type works best for most people.

TamanduaGirl: This seems to be what a lot of people feel about marmosets. I guess that they would work a lt better as "look at" pets, rather than the kind that would actually want to bond with you. I've heard that tamarins are a lot better as pets behaviour-wise. Do you thinks that's true?

I do like the sound of owl monkeys, but I could never fid much care information online. Do they get agressive with people, or just other monkeys? They seem like they would be much calmer than other monkeys.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Red hand tamarins yeah. They tend to be more friendly and easy going. I tend to forget about them since they don't seem common any more or maybe I just don't know the right people any more. I used to know a few owners though. They do tend to be more friendly and laid back but like routine and if you keep them singly you need to have them with you all the time, literally. It's mean to leave them alone since they live in troops.
denisthemalice

Postby denisthemalice » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:11 pm

If I can be of any help with your questions, and of course this is my own thought and experience with primates.

Before getting a primate, you have to read a lot and you have to know them well, and this is what I did before having my squirrel monkeys. But guess what, the reality and the manual dont always work lol but in any event, it will help you a great deal on your choice of primate if you decide to get one.

I would never want to have a capuchin monkey, it is a LOT of work, and I would be a little worry with their teeth. They are very smart, but i think it is not suitable as a ''pet''.

So I was hesitating between squirrel monkey and marmoset, and I read that marmoset urine has a strong odor. They scent their areas by rubbing their perineums over everything: toys, food dishes, bedding, stuffed animals, furniture, rugs and caging. Although you can use diapers, but I didn't want to bother with this. So I decided to go with squirrel monkey. Saying this, I have no experience with Marmoset.

If you want to get primate, please take two and not one, your monkeys will be so much happier, and it will be so much easier for you.

I have a large cage for them, wich they sleep, eat and play in, but they also spend a lot of time outside the cage. I dont use leash for them, they stay in the living room and kitchen area, they dont want to go in other room of my house and rarely adventure in my bedroom, and only if I stay there to long, so they want to come and see me. If I go outside, they never try ot run away from me, their safety is within my distance, they feel safe as long as they see me. They are very smart little thing, it is very impressive what they do, although not as smart as a capuchin. They are very caring and loving, they give a great deal of affection. I have a boy and a girl and they have a very different personnality, it is day and night. They dont bite, beside playing, wich doesn't hurt. There is a lot of different vocals, and you learn to understand them with time.

I was offered two red hand tamarins, they are in captivity for breeding and they are not pet, but I understand they are not giving babies, so the breeder dont care to keep them any longer. I would never mixt them with my squirrel monkeys (if I decide to adopt them). So I would have to build a large inclosure outside. The only reason I would take them, is to give them a better life quality. But I'm not sure yet...

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask me.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Thanks for chiming in, denisthemalice, I've not gotten to hear much about squirrel monkeys before.

What are the differences you've notice between the male and female?
denisthemalice

Postby denisthemalice » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Their personnality is different in many aspect, their are both very affective, but she is in need of more attention of me then he is. She is also the boss between them. He's more curious of how things work, opening cages doors and finding way to do so and he love touching couputers, cell
or tele bottons, not that he knows what he is doing with the techknowlogy. They also work as a team to make things work if one is not capable of doing it alone, understand team work, wich I find amazing. She is more shy with people, but she's more adventurous. He loves the cat and loves to play with him or just go on his back, and she doesn't care as much. When he sees animals on tv he runs in front of the tv and scream happy, or toddler commercial. She only cares about a couple of commercial, specialy the one with a guy with blue eye (eye glasses commercial), she goes crasy for him lol. And they both hate the cramberry commercial (with the guys in the field). She loves woman with jewerly, he doesn't care, and she love going in my wallet and taking what ever is in. He loves giving kisses, she never do, but she loves playing with my lips, and if I pull my tongue out, she try to catch it and she goes nuts.

When I discipline them and say NO, she will stop moving, put her head down and put her tong out, on the other hand he start getting all excited cause he knows he is wrong and start jumping on his feet, cause he doesn't know what to do, but he knows he's done something wrong.

You can see him eating with the cat :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQwWrqhBamg
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Thank you that's good info. Neat they can work as a team. I watched a couple of your videos. They are adorable.
denisthemalice

Postby denisthemalice » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:28 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Thank you that's good info. Neat they can work as a team. I watched a couple of your videos. They are adorable.

Thank you :)

In one of those video with the cat, the male was recovering from a health problem, it doesn't show much, but he look smaller and doesn't move as much as the female. Today he is 100% recovered.

I hope the initial person who wrote this post will read my answer. Before having monkeys I had 1000 questions lol
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:14 pm

You're only talking about monkeys here. What about lemurs? (Ringtail or ruffed.)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:12 pm

I was thinking along the lines of easy beginner primates a definition of best. Lemurs are more intermediate, though maybe a lower intermediate.

Neutered males can be pretty good pets. The one thing I like about the ringtails is they are nice with strangers outside of their home territory though they could potentially be aggressive to visitors. They also tend to choose one elevated perch to poop off off so might be able to forgo the diaper. They can have some aggression issues but being neutered helps with that A LOT.

You've probably seen this since it's old, probably just up for info and not active, but still good lemur info http://www.angelfire.com/tx6/critterhou ... s_pets.htm
denisthemalice

Postby denisthemalice » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:41 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:
Neutered males can be pretty good pets. The one thing I like about the ringtails is they are nice with strangers outside of their home territory though they could potentially be aggressive to visitors. They also tend to choose one elevated perch to poop off off so might be able to forgo the diaper. They can have some aggression issues but being neutered helps with that A LOT.

I would think that the more you exposed your primate to people and the more they will be friendly with them, they wont be as ''scared'' to strangers. You can see this when people goes on vacation and take pictures with primates (on beaches or street) and they are very friendly. I dont expose mine very much to people, and I certainely dont to the beach to ''show off'' or any public places, so my monkeys are more ''shy''.

I remember seeing a guy with his lemur with diapers on his bicycle in South beach, and people was approching him and petting his Lemur(I think he was using it as a woman magnet lol), and the Lemur was very friendly. But unfortunately I dont know about Lemur.

Do you have ants eater as a pet?

P.S. Sorry If I massacre your beautiful english language, It is not my first language, although I write a lot in english I usualy use a editor lol
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:10 pm

A friend had a ringtail lemur who was really aggressive to anyone but her, and especially her husband and he never left their place but when she took it to new (exotic) vet to get neutered. He became real sweet and nice with everyone. The vet said he wasn't surprised as it's in their nature to try and make friends when out of their territory since they can't survive without a troop in the wild plus his not wanting to local troop to attack him for being there. So it wouldn't be the same for lemurs who don't live in groups and even monkeys who live in groups in the wild usually aren't that good.

Yes I have small anteaters, tamandua.

I did notice English wasn't likely your first language but you are doing really good at it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:12 am

Aside from them demonizing the pet trade this is adorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdU1Kh4Rj8

Return to “PRIMATES”