PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Can you have a Red Ruffed Lemur as a pet?

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Can you have a Red Ruffed Lemur as a pet?

Postby caninesrock » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:37 am

It seems that they are critically endangered, but I thought I remembered seeing people with them as pets. Or maybe its the black and white ruffed I'm thinking of. So, basically, does anyone know if you can have a Red Ruffed Lemur as a pet? I know they can't cross state lines since they'd be endangered, but they could be kept in whatever state I decided to live in.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you have a Red Ruffed Lemur as a pet?

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:16 am

Yeah, you can. The ones that were already in captive hands are able to sold and traded normally (just not across statelines like you mentioned). There are breeders in Florida for sure, and probably in Texas as well.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:32 pm

That's awesome. Thanks, Ash. If I get one, I obviously won't be getting it until I move to the state I plan on staying in. Right now Florida sounds like the most exotic friendly state, so I may end up living there one day, but I don't know for sure. Probably not going to stay in Texas if I can help even though most of my family is here. The fact that I can't have many/any native animals here as pets like foxes, raccoons, minks, otters, or coyotes, just to name a few, is a big con to me of staying here. I' m not 100% sure about the others, but I for sure want a fox and a coyote one day and that's not going to happen here in Texas. :/ Pretty much almost everything I want is legal in Florida. The only animals I can't get there that I like are Hyenas and Bears. It's seems to be an either or thing though sadly. The states that allow the large dangerous exotics like here in Texas where you can have things like lions or tigers and North Carolina where you can have things like bears and big cats, ban native fur-bearers like foxes and raccoons. But the states that allow you to have the native fur-bearers like Florida and Ohio, ban the large exotics. Would be nice if there was a state where you could have both. :/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:04 pm

You can have pretty much everything in Missouri still, you just have to register the big ones and native ones like red and gray fox or coyotes have to stay in an enclosure unless at the vet, but you can have them.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 pm

According to Tiny Tracks states info page, the only fox allowed is Arctic and they don't allow raccoons. Is Tiny Tracks info off?

Missouri
state vet 573-751-3377

THE ONLY ANIMAL WE SELL THAT IS ALLOWED
IN MO IS THE ARCTIC FOX

From: http://www.tinytracksexoticanimals.com/STATES-INFO.html

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:10 pm

The state law allows them owned with a permit but they specify they can't be inside a building with people "free" so you could have them in briefly with a leash on but not roaming around like a house pet and says they can be shipped too, you just need the "Wildlife breeder/hobby" permit.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9100

That's just for native though exotic fox and other exotics are no problem, the big exotics just need registered.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:30 pm

Okay after more digging MO doesn't allow import of native fox and raccoons and coyotes but you can still get a permit to own them so if you can find one in state(catching for wild looks legal too with wildlife collectors permit) it would be fine. But anything non-native is allowed they don't have laws about that except the large ones needing registered.

Return to “PRIMATES”