PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Capuchin Questions

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

King Pitman

Capuchin Questions

Postby King Pitman » Mon May 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Could white faced capuchin owners/breeders please answer a couple questions for me?

1. What belongings do you give your capuchin? (where does it sleep, what
does it play with, etc)

2. How often are you bitten by your capuchin?

3. Is your capuchin affectionate? How?

4. Male or Female?

5. Easy or hard to train?
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Thu May 18, 2006 9:19 am

capuchins and other primates can be loving and dear pets.. for the right person.. they require alot of time and attention, it is like having human children. the more time you spend with them the more loving animal you will have, i dont mean 1 hr a day.. i mean all day everyday... our capuchins spider monkeys and baboons had a very large about 15 ft by 20 ft indoor cage and same outdoor.. they had jungle gyms to climb and play on, baby swings to swing on.. they had hammocks in their cages they had food enrichments daily.. they had a tv to watch and a radio to listen to.. they also had our attention about 8 hrs a day if not more... our baboons would sleep in the bed with me everynight until they got too big for that then they went to their cages. primates are very demanding, they want what they want when they want it. if they are unhappy, stressed or bored they may display unwanted behaviors such as slef biting, cages shaking, poop throwing, self mutilation, but if happy and stimulated they are not likely to show these behaviors, ours never did , but they always had something to keep them busy
as far as biting.. you will get bit on occasion.. i noticed when our female capuchin realy went after me one time and she bit everywhere she could, jumped on my back, bit me, got her off there she clamped onto my leg then the other leg it was a drawn out abttle for a few minutes to get her off.. and they bite hard.. but she was in heat and I was near her man..after her cycle was over she was a lover again.. that only happened once never again.. our lemurs got ahold of me also ( had a few stiches after that one ) our male baboon would grab me very aggressivly when a male human would be near me.. i was his and he wasnt going to share..lol.. they can be unpredictable, but can also be very loving and so much fun..
it is a major commitment to own a primate of any kind
mandy
King Pitman

Postby King Pitman » Thu May 18, 2006 1:43 pm

you are a doll with all the info u give....my wife and i decided that we wanted to a get a monkey as a family memeber. We have always wanted one but never had the room to facilitate one or the time. And NOW we DO!!!!!!! My wife just got a new job as a teacher which she'll do till she retires..And I work out of my home so I'm home working in my office all day..So there will always be someone home.. We are trying to decide between the lemur and capuchin... She wants one that will be hands on and love to be around her and be able to interact with it...and one that can easily imprint on us and see us as his or her family... which makes a better pet male or female? and u def. need to spay or nueter right? and what about the canine removely? should u do that?
King Pitman

Postby King Pitman » Thu May 18, 2006 2:00 pm

or even some type of marmoset or tamarin.. but i don't know how hands they are..
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Thu May 18, 2006 2:05 pm

if you want a loving family primate.. deffinatly go for the capuchin,,lemurs tend to no be so loving after a few yrs..some people have had luck but most lemurs tend to not be so affectionate after about 3 yrs old.. I know our lemurs we bottle raised and they still turned, not mean but did not want any hands on contact.. our capuchins couldnt get enough.. as far as spay and neuter.. I have never known anyone to alter their primate..they just deal with the cycles.. i personally would not alter a primate.
canine removal is a personal choice, 1 of our capuchins had hers done before we fot her.. she still bit just as hard as the ones who didnt.. we never had ours done ( unless they were done b4 we got them ). females will come into cycle, males may get territorial, not always but sometimes, so it all depends on what you would rather deal with heat cycles or possible territory issues. granted not all this holds true for all primates, our males never got territorail, ( except for the baboon who was obbsessive over me ) and our female capuchin only gave us trouble one time with the biting episode during one heat cycle.. so male or female is a personal choice.. i find the males more affectionate. but that is just my personal experience
mandy
King Pitman

Postby King Pitman » Thu May 18, 2006 5:26 pm

u r the greatest... do you know any good breeders that have a goood price? I found one in NC called rainbow primates about 6500 and on FL 3500
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Thu May 18, 2006 5:52 pm

rainbow primates are the best... you will not find a better breeder than them... I have never dealt with them but have heard nothing but good about them
good luck
mandy
Paula

Postby Paula » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:55 pm

My husband and I are looking to adopt a baby capuchin. We are looking for any advice on these precious babies. We are looking to get a female. A vet has advised us on not getting one due to transferable diseases to humans along with unpredictable behavior. We have been reading stories about the amount of attention this animals need/desire; however, we have not heard from anyone on diseases or any family member falling ill. Any advice would be appreciated.
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Ok my previous reply was from a few yrs ago.. now i will say STAY AWAY FROM RAINBOW PRIMATES !! from what I have heard from a VERY reliable person they were shut down for disease ( zoononic )
anyway.. about disease and human/primate.. just remember a primate can contact ANYTHING a human can.. measels and chicken pox are almost always fatal in primates.. as far as you getting some scary disease from a primate then I would suggest you stay away from "Old World" primates and stick with "new World" primates.. old world cary diseases such as hepetitas, and many other fatal diseases that can transfer to humans... not all but they could be a carrier and never test positive or become ill but you could.. new world can also get this but from old world ( a breeder who breeds both new and old ) I cant say I would never have a baboon again but I would feel so much safer with a new world monkey..jmho
Mandy
15 fox, 1 bobcat, 1 kinkajou, 2 birds, 3 cats, 9 dogs, 1 ringtailed lemur, 1 pig, numerous chickens, 3 geckos
3 kids (all boys) 1 grandson
visit us on facebook @
https://www.facebook.com/wildadventuresfoxden

Return to “PRIMATES”