PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

"Cuddliest" Primates ?

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Marie0604

"Cuddliest" Primates ?

Postby Marie0604 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:15 am

I was wondering if anyone had opinions on what are the most people-oriented small primates? I was interested in marmosets but have heard that they don't like to be handled...
So far the zoo includes two dogs, two house cats, a turtle, a rat and five sugar gliders. Hoping to add another exotic to the group sometime this year :)
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:19 am

I have heard that too. I would think that the larger monkeys are far mor personable, a friend has a brown capuchin who loves everyone. They dont get to big... maybe 16 lbs for the largest, and very smart.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:28 am

I know several people with nice ringtail lemurs
dachshundlove

Postby dachshundlove » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Did anyone see the lady at the auction with the 2 capuchins? She had one adult and one baby and had a stroller. She sat down on the end of the bottom row for the longest time right next to me and my son. The adult monkey was incredible. She was very fun to interact with. You could tell that the woman spent great deals of time with them. The baby was just precious! I had been interested in a marmoset too but after really checking them out at the sale I just wasn't convinced that they were really just as comparable to the bigger types. I like the squirrel, capuchin and vervet monkeys. I had bid on the little vervet baby but did not win. She sold for a couple of hundred more than where I stopped.
Are marmosets suppose to be as intelligent as bigger monkeys?
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:18 pm

No they arent as smart, smaller brains lol... but still intelligent in there own right. Actualy, a fun, smart lil primate is the Bushbaby. They make cute little sounds and love to cling to you.
dachshundlove

Postby dachshundlove » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:35 pm

Yeah, but I don't know about that whole fruit diet stuff! I once had a bird that was a fruit eater and also ate a diet of this sweet powder stuff (can't remember the name of it) and boy did it cause runny poop! I would think it would be the same with the bush baby? Or is it the kink. that eats the fruit diet?
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:43 pm

bush babies are omnivorus... bugs, fruit, veggies... and kinks have a fruit diet.
Ciao

Postby Ciao » Fri May 09, 2008 8:23 am

HyzenthlayForesight wrote:I know several people with nice ringtail lemurs

I've heard ringtail lemurs can be a bit aggressive.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 09, 2008 5:24 pm

If you don't fix them otherwise they are fine with family members. The one isn't neutered and clashes with the husband sometimes but it's rare for it to work that well if not fixed. He wasn't bottle raised. Took a lot of dedication to tame him. Females are more aggressive than males but fixing them young is the key thing. You can fix males later and still have it make a big difference. My other friend did that. He seriously attacked her husband so fixed him and he calmed right down and was friendly with family and regular visitors again, just not new people. Lemurs are naturally friendly and docile when in new environments so are good if taken out like for education events or to the vet.

Here's one of my friends lemurs and she has the un-neutered one! He's amazing. Say go up stairs and he does and stuff like that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mozimomma

Actually I know a couple other people with pairs but they don't talk about them as much.

If you want one intact then you DON'T bottle raise it so they still respect you. But it's just best to fix them if a pet.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 09, 2008 5:35 pm

Here's a couple good ones

brushing him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP2U5hChD5I

Showing her the treats he wants
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYBjEfzHTQ
Otolemur

Postby Otolemur » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:38 pm

A Ruffed Lemur, especially a Black and White, would be a better choice for an interactive captive than any of the above mentioned species, however, it would inconceivable to keep a single animal and not breed it due to their status in the wild. A female Ringtail Lemur would be a *very* poor choice as they almost universally become aggressive on their quest for dominance, though males are much more tractable. As for Bushbabies, you can read my thoughts on that in the link below-

http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?t=3850.

Please do not ever purchase a primate expecting it to be "cuddly". It is unreasonable and unfair to the animal to project your wishes upon them. Just the facts.
The Herper

Re: "Cuddliest" Primates ?

Postby The Herper » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:17 am

Don't mean to cause trouble by stirring up an old thread, but has anyone here had any experience with brown lemurs (behaviour)? There doesn't seem to be much info on the web about them at all, aside from the AZA care manuel, it says nothing about their behaviour. In the future there's a chance I might get some kind of primate, so I'm just trying to asses my options.
Thank you all in advance!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:49 pm

They're endangered, aren't they? That might be why there aren't any available and not much info on them. Just thought I'd mention that they might be impossible to obtain. I don't know about them.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:30 pm

All lemurs are listed on the ESA. I think this only means they can't cross state lines. I know that ringtail lemurs and cotton top tamarins are listed, and they seem to quite popular .
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Yeah. The problem is, most states don't have breeders. And that really thins out their production. Someone in, say, Florida could breed their babies, but now they can only sell to Florida residents and there's no way to get them out of state. Only those with a USDI license can transport endangered species across state lines, but those licenses are almost impossible to get, and it doesn't let you sell to the public. So there may be populations in Florida or Texas where exotics are super popular, but they may never be anywhere else. Eventually the Florida/Texas breeders will stop producing either because there's not enough people they can legally sell to, or because they can't acquire new breeding stock to keep the genes fresh.

Ringtailed lemurs and cotton top tamarins are popular in those areas. I've seen the ruffed too. If I wanted one of those as a pet, I'd be out of luck unless I was willing to move to Florida or Texas. (I'm sure there are other states where there are breeders too, but those states are the best states to check, especially if you're looking for something rare like a brown lemur.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “PRIMATES”