Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Red Fox Lover
Banned
Banned

Humanzee: Pet or Person?

Postby Red Fox Lover » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:46 am

Hey,

Since we were talking about weird hybrids a while back, I just thought I'd start this topic.

What do you think humanzees (human/chimp hybrids) would be like? Would they be intelegent to be a new speices of sub-humans, that lived among humans, with their own lives, jobs, etc.? Or would they simply be "another animal" and/or exotic pets?

I really hope I see them create these creatures in my life time, because, I'd like to see how smart and how human-like, they could be, regardless of other people's morals and ethics. If they are human enough, I would find it very interesting, living among "these new people" :mrgreen:
Drache

Postby Drache » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:56 am

Have you ever read Michael Crighton's book called "Next"?

It'd fictional, but there are several characters in the book who are transgenic animals, including an African Gray parrot who is based off the real Alex (I hope you know who that is) and a transgenic chimp who ends up living in a suburban family and attending school. It sounds fantastical, but many of Crighton's books are eerily realistic. He wrote Jurassic Park.

I don't have any proof, but I believe that the creation of humanzees has already happened. It's been attempted several times throughout history, but no official proof of success has been released to the public.

I think they would probably be like any other hybrids. A mix of both parent species. They'd probably look like chimps but a little less so, probably standing straighter, but still having large hands and feet and long arms, etc. They'd probably be a lot smarter than chimps but still limited. I think the big kicker would be if they could talk or not without the use of sign language.

If an animal is aware of itself like humans are, I don't think people would have a choice on whether or not to treat them like people, instead of animals.

I think that if they started living among people, it wouldn't be long until they started interbreeding with people. Unless they were sterile, which happens in some hybrids.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 am

chimps and humans are more closely related then lions and tigers, donkeys and horses. I think its very possible, and I am not sure, but wouldnt be suprised if they werent sterile. I wouldnt be suprised if they werent born in africa in past times, people do some sick stuff afterall. The mother being the chimp, the offspring would likely die from developmental delays and such. Chimps are mobile soon after birth and can climb and such much much quicker the humans.
JBG

Re:

Postby JBG » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Lasergrl wrote:I wouldnt be suprised if they werent born in africa in past times, people do some sick stuff afterall.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's how AIDS and Ebola jumped the species line.
caninesrock

Re: Humanzee: Pet or Person?

Postby caninesrock » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Anybody heard of Oliver? There was rumors he was a Humanzee,but of course supposedly the DNA test showed he was just a very wierd chimp:

Oliver (born circa 1958) is a Common Chimpanzee and a former performing ape once promoted as a missing link or "Humanzee" due to his unusually human-like face and a tendency to walk upright. Despite his somewhat unusual appearance and behavior, scientists determined in the 1990s that Oliver is not a human-chimpanzee hybrid.[1]

Early life

Oliver was acquired as a young animal (around 2 years old[2][dead link]) in 1960 by trainers Frank and Janet Berger. Supposedly, the chimpanzee had been caught in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (then Republic of the Congo). Some physical and behavioral evidence led the Bergers to believe Oliver was a creature other than a chimpanzee, perhaps a human-chimp hybrid: Oliver possesses a flatter face than his fellow chimpanzees; Oliver was habitually bipedal (before being struck with arthritis), never walking on his knuckles like his chimpanzee peers; and Oliver may have preferred human females over chimpanzee females.[2] During a December 16, 2006 Discovery Channel special, Janet Berger herself claimed that Oliver was becoming attracted to her when he reached the age of 16.[3] He mounted her and tried to mate with her. After he tried it several times it became apparent that Oliver was a threat to Janet, and had to be sold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_(chimpanzee)

Oliver:

http://dvmx.com/oliver.html
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
JBG

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:38 pm

You need to bringthe close of the "parentheses" within the link.
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Oliver doesn't even look human to me.

As for possibility, the human and chimp uterine environments are too different to be done naturally. If it happens at all, it would have to be at a point where we have the technology to grow the thing in an artificial environment.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 pm

amyers wrote:Oliver doesn't even look human to me.

As for possibility, the human and chimp uterine environments are too different to be done naturally. If it happens at all, it would have to be at a point where we have the technology to grow the thing in an artificial environment.

That's only a probelm if the chimp was the female. I'm sure there's atleast some females out there that would do the nasty with a chimp as much as human guys would. :shock:

There was actually a dude who tried to do an experiment. He got through articificially inseminated female chimps with human male sperm,but there were no results. However, he never got to try out articificially inseminating female humans with chimp sperm because even though he had willing volunteers, the government found out about and stopped/banned/ made him lose funding for the experiment on unethical grounds so he never got to try it the other way around.

Also, Oliver doesn't look like a human,but he doesn't look like a chimp either. If he was a humanzee, he wouldn't necessarily have to look like a human. For example, a mule is a hybrid between a donkey and a horse,but it doesn't look like a donkey or a horse completely. So, maybe he got more of the chimp looks. And depending on how close chimps are to humans, he could still be a hybrid because when you test a wolfdog you can't see the difference between the dog and the wolf so maybe it's like that with human and chimp DNA as well.

Another theory is that he's a different kind of humanzee. Humans supposedly evolved from monkeys once so maybe it was starting to happen again with Oliver. Maybe he was a chimp in the evolutionary process of chimps evolving into humans.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:25 pm

amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Uterine environment works both ways. If the chimp doesn't have a suitable environment to "grow" the hybrid embryo, then the human doesn't either.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 pm

thats not always true: female servals cannot gestate male domestic cat embryos but they work the other way.
Oliver was proven all chimp through dna.
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Oops forgot about servals/domestics.

Still applies here, though. Seems like the human uterine environment is too acidic(?) for hybrid growth. We got into this discussion in my genetics class of all things.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:He just looks like a old bald chimp. Saw a couple like that at a circus when I was little. I was upset because I didn't understand why they had those old men locked in a cage ;)

http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/2008/ ... anzee.html
http://amazing.funwithnet.com/2010/06/c ... anzee.html
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/41/10268 ... a4079d.jpg
http://www.baldingblog.com/photos/101025_guruchimp.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/212/490400746_98461cf986.jpg

None of those chimps have flat faces like Oliver though and one of them is walking on its knuckles.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 pm

but oliver was tested and all chimp. There was an entire 1 hour show about it. I was secretly hoping he was humanzee just because I like when weird things happen I guess!
JBG

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:00 pm

I sometimes wonder if the Stamford disaster also occurred as a result of Travis' sexual appetite. Note, Oliver tried to have sex with someone and that was what caused him to be considered dangerous.

Return to “PRIMATES”