PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Emperor Tamarin

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ciao

Emperor Tamarin

Postby Ciao » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:22 pm

My favourite monkey is the Emperor Tamarin.

I've really been interested in getting one when I move out, but I have looked and looked and looked.

To no avail.

Alas, it seems my dream monk is simply not available.

I've heard that they're poor breeders in captive situations, but really?

I've seen rare animals like Blue Mutation Amazons, Hyacinth Macaws, Palm Cockatoos, etc. These animals are often hard to breed in captivity.

But are these elusive creatures really that rare?

I'd be willing to pay as much as I feel reasonable.

How much do these guys usually sell for?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:40 pm

well, it seems they may not be available. I looked in ISIS and they arent very common in zoos. Its not that they are hard to breed, just that they arent plentifull in captivity. According to many of the species profiles they breed well in caprivity. According to CITES they are appendix II which means they arent endangered as far as importing, but I dont think it is legal to import even lesser primates. I have seen rarer animals for sale. If I were you and I was really dreaming of one, then I would call one of the many (reputable) animal brokers and ask them. However, it may be a very good idea to start with a more common species to get experience untill the very likely long wait to get the emporer. Also, it may be more responsible to have this animal in a breeding program, if you can even get one.
Ciao

Postby Ciao » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:56 pm

Lasergrl wrote:well, it seems they may not be available. I looked in ISIS and they arent very common in zoos. Its not that they are hard to breed, just that they arent plentifull in captivity. According to many of the species profiles they breed well in caprivity. According to CITES they are appendix II which means they arent endangered as far as importing, but I dont think it is legal to import even lesser primates. I have seen rarer animals for sale. If I were you and I was really dreaming of one, then I would call one of the many (reputable) animal brokers and ask them. However, it may be a very good idea to start with a more common species to get experience untill the very likely long wait to get the emporer. Also, it may be more responsible to have this animal in a breeding program, if you can even get one.

I've also heard that tamarins and marmosets don't generally require permits.

I live in Texas, and the local exotics shop used to sell marmosets. I don't know why they don't anymore.

I've read the statewide laws, and I know in the county I live in, many exotics are illegal. (And in my city, not too long ago, ferrets were illegal, or so I've heard. Pretty unbelievable.)

I'm considering moving out into a more rural place, where laws about keeping animals are usually more lax, but...
Ciao

Postby Ciao » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:42 am

Also, I really like the Red-handed Tamarin.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:43 pm

red handeds are available. I have seen them a few times foor sale online.
Ciao

Postby Ciao » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:53 pm

Lasergrl wrote:red handeds are available. I have seen them a few times foor sale online.

I see them all the time for sale, it's just the question of whether they're legit or not...

Return to “PRIMATES”