PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Are Verreaux's Sifaka's in the pet trade?

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Cesious Fox

Are Verreaux's Sifaka's in the pet trade?

Postby Cesious Fox » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:55 am

Just woundering, since they are so cool. I understand that they are lemurs who are vulnerable by status, because of their solitary island of Madascar, and that's all I know :lol: Does anyone own one or any in the states?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:52 am

I thought I've seen those in the past. You can't import them any more but if people are still breeding them you can get them but since endangered can not cross state lines for pets, a stupid law because the more people have them as pets, the more breeders and the less endangered they become.

I know for a fact there are ringtail lemurs in pet trade still.
Cesious Fox

Postby Cesious Fox » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:06 pm

I know it's stupid, but some ppl would probably breed them for money (since they are rare), but like that's not going on anyways. Well, I'll look around some more, and probably check out the ringtail lemurs. Thanks mary, for helping.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Of course they would be bred for money but that would just mean there are that many more of them then all that less endangered so that even if they do go extinct in the wild there would still be plenty left and there would be a pool to reintroduce someday if their home is saved. It's just one of those stupid laws that sounded good at them time, I guess.

So the only way you could get one is if there was a breeder in your state.
Cesious Fox

Postby Cesious Fox » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:53 pm

I can probably call a zoo (who has Sifaka's), and check who their supplier is. I probably should wait though, don't want a weird conservation about trying to own one as a pet.

Return to “PRIMATES”