PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Chimp Tragedy

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Michael

Chimp Tragedy

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:23 pm

That was very terrible way for the life of this animal to end. I also feel very sorry for the victum and the owner, she had to stab the chimp and try to get him off of her friend. The emotional scars will never heal over this one. I have talked with two chimp owners years ago, both told me that when chimps reach thier senior years that they get very aggressive. I checked around because my daughter wanted one, needless to say she changed her mind.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:35 pm

She did do a lot of things wrong but it was more likely due to the lyme disease which hurts bad and causes neurological symptoms and the drugs she gave him. But it is true also about their personalities in general, primates as a general rule do not tolerate strangers well and can get aggressive especially if not fixed. but in this case he was years passed puberty.
Cesious Fox

Postby Cesious Fox » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:44 pm

Back in the past, people used to keep chimps as pets. They still kind of do, but it was more of a fad then. Later when they get older, they had to get rid of them, because they do get aggressive. Most of these chimps went to sanctuaries, and these people did everything to help them. Some came from testings, and were diagnosed with aids. So the locals were afraid of approaching the sanctuary, and complained about this. Making a permit for these sanctuary keepers, to make a remote island (so they can play on, and live) impossible. They fought so hard, and eventually some of them got it passed, some chimps were brought here in Florida to other sanctuaries who had these remote islands already built, and legalized.

For the woman who owned this chimp, knew the risks that came with him. Even when the drugs don't have a play, and his disease he had. He still would have been hostile against the friend. I have a rule for having an animal that has an IQ close to ours, and that means don't get them as a pet; simple.
Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:19 pm

This animal has so many special needs. My sanctuary is not even set up for something like this, that would have to be a sanctuary just for chimps. This is another animal that so many people try to domesticate and it belongs where god intended it to be. Im not against owning exotics, I just think some should be left alone. Sure I like to watch them and laugh at the stuff they do and think they are very smart. Did you ever wonder if the chimps and primates laugh at what we do and wonder if we are as smart as they are? Another victum here is the cops who shot the animal, Im sure that wasnt very pleasant for them, this whole event was hard on everyone involved.
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Another explanation I've heard is that the woman who was attacked had had her hair cut; the chimp might not have recognized her as his owner's friend, but as an "intruder", even though she'd been to the house multiple times in the past.

I have nothing against the private ownership of exotics, but there are some places where I draw the line. If an animal is capable of killing a human (like, say, a tiger, or a 200-lb adult male chimpanzee, or a venemous snake), I don't think you should be allowed to own one without some degree of professional training.
Red Fox Lover
Banned
Banned

Postby Red Fox Lover » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Ragtatter wrote:
I have nothing against the private ownership of exotics, but there are some places where I draw the line. If an animal is capable of killing a human (like, say, a tiger, or a 200-lb adult male chimpanzee, or a venemous snake), I don't think you should be allowed to own one without some degree of professional training.

I agree here. My grandma always tells me the whole "Wild animals should stay in the wild" thing, and I tell her that, as long as you can overpower, or even (God forbid if you have to) kill the animal, if it becomes an uncontrolable threat, you should be able to own one.

I have told many people that, I could likely kill a crazy fox, though I'd regret dearly, if I had to, and my grandma just replied "Yeah, but that fox could still manage to really tear you up, before you kill it" :roll:

My cousin actually loves wolves, equally to me loving foxes, and she has always wanted a wolf, or wolfdog, but I, on the other hand have told her to just get a Malamute, since they look like, and are the closest thing to a wolf that you can get, without there being any wolf in them, and wolves are illegal here anyway, due to being a protected species.

But I think she would feel like me. After I couldn't handle Vixey, there was a vet that my mom talked to, who said that, there was some type of tame breed dog, that supposedly looked just like a Red Fox, and she wishes I would have been told about it, and got this other dog, instead. But, I believe I can voice the same opinion as my wolf loving fox that, a non-fox, or non-wolf, just would not satisfy me, knowing that it was not "the real thing" so to speak. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

Anyway, I really wish I knew what the name of this "Red Fox looking tame dog breed" was, as I would have been and still am interested in seeing one, just to let me be the judge as to whether this dog looked like a fox. :roll:
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:25 pm

You're probably talking about a breed known as a "Shiba Inu". Just about everything I've read on them describes them as having a fox-like face, but in my honest opinion, they look nothing like a fox.
Red Fox Lover
Banned
Banned

Postby Red Fox Lover » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Ragtatter wrote:You're probably talking about a breed known as a "Shiba Inu". Just about everything I've read on them describes them as having a fox-like face, but in my honest opinion, they look nothing like a fox.

I know of Shiba Inus as well, and they don't look like a fox, to me either, but, when I showed one of my neighbors, Vixey's pictures, who's male Pembroke Welsh Corgi, named Corkey I befriended, that neighbor said that, the picture of Vixey's face, in the picture of her under my dresser, looked like a Corgi to him, and I kind of disagreed, but Corkey did have a slight resemblence. Maybe some day I'll have to have my brother help me post pictures of Corkey that his owners were kind enough to let me take.

But I do have to admit that, I do see some of Vixey's face in some of Gizmo's pictures, but just of a different color.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Red Fox Lover
Banned
Banned

Postby Red Fox Lover » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:01 pm

Lasergrl wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Spitz
http://www.shikokudog.com/

Sorry. #1 too big to look like a fox, and #2, more like a coyote. :roll:

Awesome looking dogs, though. Both of them :mrgreen:
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:04 pm

the finnish spitz is small............

There are no other breeds that it could be. I would guess it was a picture of a particularly foxy spitz or a mix. I am very up on rare breeds and i cant think of any other one.

Sounds like an interesting breeding project, a foxy dog
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:19 pm

I've seen one or two "American Eskimo Dogs" at work that had rather foxy faces.

Obviously, though, the face is where it ends.
Red Fox Lover
Banned
Banned

Postby Red Fox Lover » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Ragtatter wrote:I've seen one or two "American Eskimo Dogs" at work that had rather foxy faces.

Obviously, though, the face is where it ends.

That looks like a White Fox (not Marble, but, there is a white phased Red Fox on that Awesome Exotics, website that they sell, that are seperate from Marbles, so they must be a different color variation, of the REd Fox, because they are not Arctics) and my Pomeranian, crossed. :shock:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:39 pm

Same thing happened just the other day. This family pet was running free and bit into a boys face ripping it severely. Wonder why it didn't make national news and people cry for laws to ban them or require permits? Oh wait it was just a dog so it's okay.
http://www.yourwestvalley.com/articles/ ... ghbor.html

Happened last year too
http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm ... y_ID/10932

They kill babies too
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01042008/ne ... _22678.htm
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 am

HyzenthlayForesight wrote:Same thing happened just the other day. This family pet was running free and bit into a boys face ripping it severely. Wonder why it didn't make national news and people cry for laws to ban them or require permits? Oh wait it was just a dog so it's okay.
http://www.yourwestvalley.com/articles/ ... ghbor.html

Happened last year too
http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm ... y_ID/10932

They kill babies too
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01042008/ne ... _22678.htm

Don't be ridiculous! Dogs don't count! The only dog that it's okay to consider banning because of a bite is a Pitbull. SHHHH! NO THINKING!

Return to “PRIMATES”