PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Chimp Tragedy

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:45 pm

For what it's worth, I was getting the exact same impression Hyzenthlay was. Still haven't seen anything to disprove that impression, actually, though time will tell.
JBG

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Ragtatter wrote:For what it's worth, I was getting the exact same impression Hyzenthlay was. Still haven't seen anything to disprove that impression, actually, though time will tell.
Part of me thinks having a pet ape would be lots of fun. Until I heard about this horror story, about 5 miles from my house. So you can imagine the news coverage.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:15 pm

RGB wrote:Does your bear like being petted? Do you get into cage with him/her? Does he/she recognize you from other people?

My bears love to be petted, especially scratched on their rump.

Yes, my bears know who is who. bears are very intelligent animals.

they look forward to company, because they know they get treats.

"cage" is a bad word. they are in a "pen" :lol:
I havent gone in with them for awhile, because sybil is moody.
I am waiting to get their pen expanded with their new pond.
then I will go in again. hubby goes in to feed them and they love the attention from him.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:21 pm

I personally did not get the impression as peta person.

RGB has never said, "wild animals" should never be kept as pets.

I think anyone that is planning any type of animal should understand what they are getting into. especially the larger animals.

to me, it sounded like RGB was just trying to understand why some people choose apes as a pet. after reading what they are like, I don't understand. then again, many people can't predict their behavior in the future, same goes for any animal.

I think when getting any large animal, a person should be somewhat experienced with other type of animals. and, really want to learn their behavior.

JBG

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:10 pm

pat wrote:I personally did not get the impression as peta person.

RGB has never said, "wild animals" should never be kept as pets.

I think anyone that is planning any type of animal should understand what they are getting into. especially the larger animals.

to me, it sounded like RGB was just trying to understand why some people choose apes as a pet. after reading what they are like, I don't understand. then again, many people can't predict their behavior in the future, same goes for any animal.

I think when getting any large animal, a person should be somewhat experienced with other type of animals. and, really want to learn their behavior.
I think you meant me and hope my screen name comes up as "JBG", which are my initials.

The closest I have come to PETA is making a joke about them. When I took my (now) wife out on our first date on January 6, 1990 we were discussing our mutual activities. She told me she was involved in United Jewish Appeal. Noticing that she was wearing a fox coat, I said jokingly that I was active in "animal rights" and gave as an example a fox caught in a leghold trap. She knew I was kidding.

Trust me, I am the furthest thing from being a PETA-file.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:20 pm

yep, I meant JBG.
sorry about that.

even though, I don't like peta.
there is one thing that really does irrate me and actually disgusts me, is fur coats. so many animals suffer just for people to wear fur.

sorry, but, I am 100% against fur coats.

these foxes and minks, are kept in such small cages for their fur.
a fox is a very high strung animal, and keeping them in such small cages, is cruel and inhumane.

just my opinion on it.

JBG

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:23 pm

pat wrote:I havent gone in with them for awhile, because sybil is moody.
I am waiting to get their pen expanded with their new pond.
then I will go in again. hubby goes in to feed them and they love the attention from him.
Why is Sybil in bad mood? Is it always or just sometimes?

Is going into pen with them a safety issue? I'd be heartbroken if that means the end of your relationship.
JBG

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:26 pm

pat wrote:these foxes and minks, are kept in such small cages for their fur.
a fox is a very high strung animal, and keeping them in such small cages, is cruel and inhumane.

just my opinion on it.
I am fairly neutral on that issue. I just have a low regard for an organization that has a contempt for people but professes to love animals.

I defintely believe in maintenance of close quarter relations to as wide a variety of animals as it is humane and safe to.

For example, I don't believe all the bad press on wolves as pets. Some must be adaptable or they wouldn't have bred to become dogs.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:03 am

Why is Sybil in bad mood? Is it always or just sometimes?

Is going into pen with them a safety issue? I'd be heartbroken if that means the end of your relationship.

sybil came from a different breeder than benny.
I had my hands full with her. she was very spoiled, grew up in my house her first year, then she had free roam of the property and the pond thereafter. but, getting her back in the pen at night was became very hard as she got bigger and stronger.
she just wants her own way. (like a spoiled kid)
once she has her pond, I think she will be better.

I just play it safe with her for now.

she really is not that bad often.

JBG

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 am

pat wrote:Thats an interesting question. I personally have no idea who and how many people have apes. I would assume they would live out their life in zoos or rehabs.
That's an easy one, since I'd like one, except for the "long term" problems.

For their first seven or eight years, sometimes longer, they are a delight. They can do a lot more than dogs, being smarter and having opposable thumbs. They can go out for ice cream with the family, and seem just like a hairy human. They are cute.

The problem seems to be that, like humans, they develop a nasty temper as they age. Unlike humans, they are extremely strong, and have no knowledge of the legal system. I know not to clobber a store clerk that is difficult or unresponsive, or just rubs me the wrong way. Try explaining that to a 200 lb. chimpanzee.

Another problem is their life span. Dogs typically live their lives in 11 - 18 year increments so a person often won't get a dog when they know their age or health prospectively won't exceed the dog's life. Chimps live longer in captivity, and may not take well to a new "owner'. Unlike a dog, because of their strength, there's no room for trial and error.

That being said, I see no harm in having exotic pets that have at least a fair chance of working out, and where the interaction with humans is mutually productive right through the life span. Where I have an issue is where there is little or no chance of this happening.

And I'm smart enough to know I need to come to this Board to learn the difference. I'm a willing learner. This should address the concerns for those who think I'm an exotic pet opponent.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 am

JBG wrote:
pat wrote:Thats an interesting question. I personally have no idea who and how many people have apes. I would assume they would live out their life in zoos or rehabs.
That's an easy one, since I'd like one, except for the "long term" problems.

For their first seven or eight years, sometimes longer, they are a delight. They can do a lot more than dogs, being smarter and having opposable thumbs. They can go out for ice cream with the family, and seem just like a hairy human. They are cute.

The problem seems to be that, like humans, they develop a nasty temper as they age. Unlike humans, they are extremely strong, and have no knowledge of the legal system. I know not to clobber a store clerk that is difficult or unresponsive, or just rubs me the wrong way. Try explaining that to a 200 lb. chimpanzee.

Another problem is their life span. Dogs typically live their lives in 11 - 18 year increments so a person often won't get a dog when they know their age or health prospectively won't exceed the dog's life. Chimps live longer in captivity, and may not take well to a new "owner'. Unlike a dog, because of their strength, there's no room for trial and error.

That being said, I see no harm in having exotic pets that have at least a fair chance of working out, and where the interaction with humans is mutually productive right through the life span. Where I have an issue is where there is little or no chance of this happening.

And I'm smart enough to know I need to come to this Board to learn the difference. I'm a willing learner. This should address the concerns for those who think I'm an exotic pet opponent.

makes sense to me.

guess with many other type animals and people :lol: , they will change as they mature. unfortately, the apes, and other type animals, change for the worse at maturity. ok, guess I can't direct that to strictly apes, some people change for the worse too.

I have to wonder, if an ape was altered at a young age, if that would help in any way. I have seen alot of people out there that should be altered :lol:

Trefoil

wolves

Postby Trefoil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 pm

I think wolves get a bad rap because they look like a dog and people are fooled into thinking they will behave like one. And when they don't, its the wolves' fault. I guess I have enough PETA in me to be disgusted by raising and killing an animal for its fur. I was raised a hick farmer- if you're going to kill it you dam well better be prepared to eat it. Me bad.
Trefoil

Pets

Postby Trefoil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Whether or not an animal is a pet is determined by how you feel about it. I have coons and possoms wild that I feed along with my outside cats. I don't pet them or sleep with them or even touch them, but I consider them my pets. I believe that part of the PETA problem is that they confuse pets with toys. Toys you take out of the box when you want to play and put back into the box when you're done.
JBG

Re:

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:52 am

Ragtatter wrote:You're probably talking about a breed known as a "Shiba Inu". Just about everything I've read on them describes them as having a fox-like face, but in my honest opinion, they look nothing like a fox.
Someone in my neighborhood owns a Shiba Inu. It has about the vicious disposition of a Golden Retriever.
CitricPrincess

Re: Re:

Postby CitricPrincess » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 pm

JBG wrote:
Ragtatter wrote:You're probably talking about a breed known as a "Shiba Inu". Just about everything I've read on them describes them as having a fox-like face, but in my honest opinion, they look nothing like a fox.
Someone in my neighborhood owns a Shiba Inu. It has about the vicious disposition of a Golden Retriever.

I own a Shiba Inu. I wouldn't say he's anything similar to a golden retriever in temperament. He's laid back for a shiba, but can be vicious when he sees a threat, even if said 'threat' is just an unknown male dog on his territory.

And while they don't look like a fox if you're directly familiar with foxes, if you don't see foxes in the wild much, I can definitely see it. Their coloration is very very similar (especially as mine has a dark tail with a white tip). Truth be told, he had the foxes in the neighborhood convinced he was one of them- I'd catch him playing with them outside sometimes, and people are always asking me if he's a fox (I've even gotten a few people asking me if he's a fox/dog hybrid. Among with a few dozen other breeds or exotic canines. Amuses me usually, but it's irritating when mothers drag their children away babbling about wild animals with rabies while my completely domestic puppy with a twitchy-waggy tail stares at them with puppy eyes wanting pets. Luckily nothing truly bad has ever come from those incidents. Just why humans do you not learn and teach your kids your un-knowledge...)

Return to “PRIMATES”