https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ruffed Lemur's

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Legend

Ruffed Lemur's

Postby Legend » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:59 am

Hey everyone!!!

Lemur's are the only primate I've ever been dedicatedly interested in, and as such I have devoted a good bit of my time to researching them.

Mary was very kind in providing me with a link to a Lemur yahoo group, but the group is so slow it could almost be considered dead, and I was not able to find out the exact information I was looking for. Plus I just feel more comfortable asking our members here.

I was wondering how keeping Ruffed Lemur's(especially Black and White), compared to the more common Ringtail Lemur. I know that Ringtail's can have some dominance issue's, but what little information I've found about Ruffed Lemurs seems to suggest that they are far friendlier in general.

I have looked very hard for some information comparing the species, but have not been able to find any very useful information, so I wanted to see what our family here could tell me.

I hope that this is true, about the Ruffed Lemurs being friendly, because I've heard that Lemur's can ultimately turn standoffish as well.

I will continue to do my own research as well.

Thanks for your time everyone!!!
:rhin:
jillbill1212

Re: Ruffed Lemur's

Postby jillbill1212 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:23 pm

I use to want a lemur,
A long time ago though.
But in my search i went after the Black and White one also,
With the idea that they were calmer. In talking to a breeder
i was told the B&W ones are calmer than the ringtails, Then
when i asked another breeder they said its no difference.
I came to the conclusion that it depends on the lemur,
You could end up with a calm Ringtail and a rambunctious B&W ruffed Lemur.
But either way if i was to choose it'd be a ruffed lemur :)
**Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem. ~Benjamin Hoff**
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 am

I know lots of people with lemurs of both kinds. The black and white are a lot calmer, well a lot less likely to have aggression problems ringtailed lemurs tend to have. Rings live in groups in the wild and regularly fight for their position in the troop. Males are better than females and neutered males are best but issues do still arise.

B&W don't live in groups so don't have the same instincts to fight with their family(You).
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:39 pm

I've worked with both the red and black ruffed, they are lovers, even when they are paired with a mate, has been my experience with them. Almost had a brown lemur for a pet but it died in someone's care while my permit was coming through. I 've only cared for one male brown lemur but he was very sweet. I've cared for ringtails as well, not my favorite, I agree with what is written about them although a lady had one in a Sam's Club that was 2y old male, I could handle him fine but do not know if he was neutered or not. I'd get a ruffed but they are so expensive right now, really have skyrocketed along with most Class 3 pets, you can buy a big cat for less.

Return to “PRIMATES”