HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Lemur, Lorisidae& Tarsiers care manuals

Monkeys, lemurs, bushbabies, Any Type or Size of Primate

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lemur, Lorisidae& Tarsiers care manuals

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 pm

dmarksvr

Re: Lemur, Lorisidae& Tarsiers care manuals

Postby dmarksvr » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:51 pm

I looked into getting a Tarsier awhile back. I don't think they are often available to the public but that is probably a good thing. I have nothing against exotics, as I'm a Dart frog, Fennec fox and ferret owner but this is one animal that should probably be left to zoos or people with incredible facilities and a great deal of knowledge and experience. I scanned the text, and maybe I missed it but I didn't see a mention that these animals often suicide (according to other sources) in captivity, usually by banging their head into things. Easily stressed with difficult environmental needs. Probably not an animal the majority of people should even attempt to keep. My 2 cents....In fact the main reason I signed up for this site was just to comment on the difficulty of keeping a captive Tarsier.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lemur, Lorisidae& Tarsiers care manuals

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks for the comments. It is a zoo document. Zoos often don't like to admit that sort of thing.

A vet I used to go to was an ex-zoo vet and had one time said most zoos keep their kinkajous on prozac(or something like it) because they tend to self mutilate and are violent. It came up because I asked when a friend's was having those issues. I'm sure you wont find any zoo manual that says keep them on prozac but it is or used to be common.

Return to “PRIMATES”