baby calves?

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

baby calves?

Postby pat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:58 am

I bought two baby calves last night. not sure how old they are, but, they are still on the bottle.
it is been almost 17 years since I raised Oscar at that age. so, may of forgot some things,

I bought the powder mix, and the calf bottles to feed them.
any other thing they need?

also, since they are both bulls, I have to dehorn them and band the balls?
at what age should this be done? I know it is obvious they must be young.
right now, I haven't seen their horns poke through yet. Not sure of their age. I will get a picture today or tomorrow.
got them at an auction for 10.00 each.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: baby calves?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:43 pm

Generally the reason they are so cheap is because they are taken from mom soon as born, so get no colostrum and so will be sickly. You will often find you have your hands full with a calf that has repeated internal issues. You might be able to find some colstrum to feed it. Not sure if it will really still help but worth a try.

You want to debud them. They burn the bud before it ever starts to grow a horn so one never grows. It's much easier on them. Will depend some on breed an individual animals but soon as there's any bump there. As a rule around 3 weeks. Castration, once there are 2 balls in the sack, but around the same time frame I think.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:58 pm

thank you for info. where I got the calves at, I got Oscar at the same place about the same age.
the two are past the colostrum stage. I am guessing about 1-2 weeks. I was going to get a picture of them today.
but, my little darlings (2 youngest raccoons) stole my battery charger and battery. can't find it anywhere.

with your info, it helped bring back the time frame for dehorning and fixing them. appreciate your info.
I called my vet, but, he is not in the office everyday :roll:

both calves seem pretty healthy, they seemed to have gotten better since I gave them good formula.
I am trying to get Oscar closer to where I have them. so today, he is finally getting closer.
once he sees them, he will want to take care of them :lol:

raising so many different animals over the years, I couldn't remember when to do what.
thank you again, appreciate your reply

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Well if they got their first colostrum for the first day or two with mom that's great. We just had the one calf when I worked the petting zoo. He was born at the dairy exhibit while at the fair and they bought him. The dairies take them right away so they don't get the colostrum so sell them cheap. He kept having issues with getting sick digestively and they said that's normal for dairy calves because of that. Shouldn't be near as much trouble if they got his first milk.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:01 am

mary,

I am only assuming they got their first colostrum. thats the problem with buying animals without knowing where they came from.
I think ohio is pretty big on raising cattle there. so maybe some farmers had several calves that may of been born within a short period :shrug:
maybe when they are born, they don't really check the sexes of them the first couple days :shrug: I think some of these farmers don't really want the bulls, or too many of them anyway :shrug: guess, they use them for milk more than anything else. :shrug:

I know the dairy cattle take longer to grow, that might be why the beef cattle are used for meat. long time ago, I did have about 4 or more dairy cattle. most were male. I did send them 3 at one time to get butchered for meat. the meat was really good, a hell of alot better than what we buy at the store. I also raised pigs, wow, the meat was unbelievable. the female pig popped out about 16 piglets at one birth. one of my dogs assisted her with the birth. he cleaned them up and protected them. I have a video of that, if I ever get a chance, I need to convert that to my computer.
probably will post it on youtube. (its on a vhs) I have a converter for vhs

the reason why Oscar is here, he hid when the "meat wagon" came to pick them up :lol: I looked everywhere for him, couldn't find him.
as soon as they guy hauled the 3 away, oscar appeared :lol: but, glad I kept him, Oscar is full of personality. he is pretty smart for a steer.
he is very sensitive. he gets very upset when one of the animals dies. he also cares for any young animals I have had.
how in the heck can big steer hide :lol:

with the two I have now, I am going to try and not bother with them much. if I do, I will end up with two more pet steers :lol:
the two I have now seem pretty healthy and active.

thats is horrible the petting zoo got rid of the calve so soon icon-sad what happens if a calve (guess any animal) don't get their colostrum?
is their immune system weaken? also, would they die young or show signs of being sick? if they start showing signs of illnesses, at what stage would that happened? (sorry to bug you with the questions) guess, I just never thought of these issues.

thank you again for your reply and info. I can never learn enough.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:13 pm

The dairy was the one that pulled it from mom. If the petting zoo hadn't gotten it they would have sold it to be raised for beef. The petting zoo only kept him awhile then sold him while he was still cute to a pet home.

Yeah if they don't get the colostrum it weakens their immunity so you tend to have sickly calves. It was mostly digestive issues with ours. I think one reason most big dairies pull them right away is because they can sell the colostrum and make more money. People buy it as a health supplement now, though scientifically it shouldn't do anything unless your a baby.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:38 pm

Most dairy farms feed the calves the milk from the new mothers, so they would get colostrum. I was able to tour a giant dairy farm owned by my friend's family out here (supplies milk to every store in Utah aside from Costco as well as many out of state). They have staff on hand 24/7 taking care of the new calves. At the time they had around 25 calves being born per day! Just while we were there we watched two calves being born. Couldn't believe it.

I don't know about the dairy farm where you got your calves from, but the dairy farm I went to said it's standard to give the calves the colostrum from the moms. They're just separated from their mothers so don't get it straight from the utter. So it's very likely they got it.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”