please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Pygmy goats

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Cowgrl101

Pygmy goats

Postby Cowgrl101 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 pm

I'd love to have Pygmy goats one day. Does anyone know what they are like?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pygmy goats

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:42 pm

A little bratty as they are meat goats. The Nigerian Dwarfs are a little calmer since they are more milk goats.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:10 am

I preffer Nigerians. I have 6 right now. They are all so different and fun. Bottle babies are the best :)
The pygmies and Nigerians were bred from the same type of goat in Africa they just branched off, one meat, one milk.
Cowgrl101

Postby Cowgrl101 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 am

What kinda bratty are we talkin bout? Im used to horses so im thinking pushing you over kinda bratty.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:26 pm

They aren't normally that bad to be trying to harm you though one young wether liked to sneak up behind me and bite me but he only did it to me and that's not common.

Most people say their isn't a huge difference but I worked with both and much prefer the dwarf.

The pygmies are more high strung and stubborn, harder to handle. The dwarfs are a lot easier to work with and I think a little more affectionate. IMO they are also a lot cutter. Milking breeds are bred for personality and ease of handling while meat breeds are mainly just bred for being bulky for more meat in the small package.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Plus most people that breed pygmies do not care about health testing. Its very common for nigerian breeders to test for CAE and CL (johnes too is good to test for but less reliable). CL is contageous, and CAE can be devistating so important to buy negative stock.
Cowgrl101

Postby Cowgrl101 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:49 pm

I see. I will look into the dwarfs then.
Hoggle

Postby Hoggle » Tue May 14, 2013 7:44 am

Probably a bit late to be replying. But I love pygmy goats! We have loads at work. Some are shy and some are really friendly. None are aggressive towards people. They do fight some what amongst themselves but usually just heat butting. A couple of the kids have great characters, jumping all over you and chewing everything they can - very playful.
A few of the adults follow you around and can become some what annoying if you're trying to do something, but they just want some attention!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 14, 2013 8:10 am

Hoggle wrote:Probably a bit late to be replying. But I love pygmy goats! We have loads at work. Some are shy and some are really friendly. None are aggressive towards people. They do fight some what amongst themselves but usually just heat butting. A couple of the kids have great characters, jumping all over you and chewing everything they can - very playful.
A few of the adults follow you around and can become some what annoying if you're trying to do something, but they just want some attention!

I agree with you. I use to have a couple pygmy goats and the standard goats.(not good at all the technical names for them)
I never had a problem with them. my standard size goats had the horns, which I wish I would have had removed at a young age.
both were females. they were never dangerous, it was because the one female's horn grew crooked to the point it was almost in her eye. at the age of 10, I had the vet come over and remove part of it, but, he end up removing all of them. I felt bad,
because it threw her balance off. then the vet did this in too hot of weather, and she got an infection, and died a week later.

I never had the males, but, have heard if they are not fixed, they can be nasty.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 am

Personally, I prefer pygmy goats to Nigerians. But I think it's like golden retrievers and labs; sort of similar breeds, with a lot of aesthetic and some personality differences, and people strongly prefer one or the other. My pygmies have always been more "rascally" compared to any Nigerians I've had, but they've usually had more personality, while most of my Nigerians were sort of apathetic and bland. That, and I find squatty little pygmies a lot cuter. Although, if most of our little goats hadn't been given to us, I'd just have big ones; they've got better personalities in general if you ask me, and you can do more with them.

Asking about goat breeds is like asking about dogs, cars, or food; you'll get a lot of opinions, no straight answers, haha.

As for horns, I'd really recommend you get them disbudded (dehorning is a lot more dangerous and stressful) as babies or get already hornless goats. I was indifferent to it for a long time, but after getting hurt (accidentally and intentionally) by goats with horns, having goats get their horns caught in fences/trees/walls (and losing one to a broken neck because of that), and having goats injure each other (accidentally and intentionally), I much prefer them without horns - plus, you can show them if they don't have horns.

That's especially true for bucks (in tact males), which like Pat said, can get nasty. Stick with does or wethers initially, as bucks have a lot of negative qualities and you don't need to be breeding right out of the gate anyway. Bucks stink, harass other goats constantly, and can be both destructive (with fences and buildings) and aggressive (with people and other animals). Even the most tame buck has a streak of unpredictability (although frankly, all animals do; it's just a bit wider in intact males), and not all bucks are "bad", but when you get a bad one, you end up with a major problem.

We recently had to sell a buck, which ironically was a pygmy. We've had more than a dozen bucks, and he was the only one which has ever scared me (and I'm an adult man!). He was smart, had huge horns (four feet from tip to tip) and he knew how to use those. He used them to tear up fences, and would go after adult men (lucky me!) and anyone who to be frank, "pissed him off". It got to the point where I refused to work on him, after having my knee dislocated twice by him.
Cowgrl101

Postby Cowgrl101 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 am

I now absolutely love Nigerians! I didn't think I'd like dairy gots but they are so cool!

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”