PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Leia is home!!

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Missfit

Leia is home!!

Postby Missfit » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:25 am

So I know this particular board doesn't see a lot of action, but I've got to tell somebody about this... just so excited!! I mentioned in the last post that I had pulled some strings and was going to be getting my first bottle baby (Leia, Kiko mix, now a year and change old) back.

Here's the back story: The SO's grandfather raises meat goats, last year we were asked to care for and bottle raise an orphan and then given another kid to raise along with her. The other kid was older when she came to us and never really bonded like Leia. She ended up back with her herd after weaning, but I insisted that Leia find just the right home. Since day one she was just so special, so gentle, just meant to be a beloved pet. I found a stable family with two young little girls, and the match was perfect... there were pictures of her all dressed up popping up on facebook weekly. I had begged them to call me first if anything ever happened and they couldn't keep her anymore, but when they had to move out of state that is precisely what they did not do. She ended up with a woman that I know that runs a farm/business who was more than happy to take a "free goat" to churn out more babies. Now let me just say... I have no problem whatsoever with raising animals (whatever species) as a business... I understand that for most people bonding with animals under those conditions is unlikely and honestly, inconvenient. My issue was that Leia had been hand raised in a back yard as a pet. It seemed almost cruel to me to just throw her out in a pasture with little goat social skills and treat her all of a sudden like just another number in the books. I shudder to think how she was treated... the woman's sons do all the dirty work... hoof trimmings, worming, etc, and are far from the gentle type (I once saw one of them kick a goat just for coming up close to him)
So when I found out that Leia was with this woman, I kept in touch and every time I talked to her repeatedly hinted at wanting her back. (I am a really passive person, and this lady is the complete opposite, so these conversations never ended well for me) :wall: I even went over and saw her once... that was heartbreaking... she was really underweight and cried so pitifully for me at the gate when I went to leave. At the time though, I didn't want to press the issue and end up getting her back just for her to be all alone... or worse, risk being told NO.

(Sorry for the loooooong post, and thank you to anyone who has even read this far)

When a month or so ago, we took on another orphan, Zeli, I told the fiance, I was only on board with this one if we were going to keep her (I couldn't in good conscience, let the same thing that happened to Leia, happen to another bottle kid) This proved to be the perfect catalyst for getting our Leia muffin back... Zeli needed a buddy to help her through weaning and teach her how to be a goat. Shaking like a leaf, I made the call. The woman was resistant, but I stood firm, and she finally relented!

Friday afternoon I drove over and got her... she was in the back of a new pasture (and looking much better than the last time I had seen her... thank god) with her head stuck in the fence. She didn't recognize me at all, and tried to run. I carried her halfway across the field, but she is soooo heavy I ended up having to pull her along by the horns the rest of the way. I felt simply awful doing it, but I had to get her out of there, and that was the only option.

I was so nervous driving home... she hadn't recognized me, had it been too long? Would she remember?
All it took was getting her into her back yard where she had grown up.... you could almost see the realization on her face! Within the first 30 minutes she was already laying in her old chair on the back porch and calling back to me in her odd grown-up voice when I called to her name. She hadn't been hand fed in so long, it took her a little longer to remember cookies, but that soon came back too. She reeked from all the bucks mounting her, so we gave her a bath, and she took that like a champ too, I think just hearing our voices again soothing her made a big difference.

So after a long wait, all is well again! Zeli is learning to browse, and the two of them are getting along great. I've taken a million pictures, but I'll have to wait until I get to work tomorrow to pull them off the camera, and I'll post some then.

I do have one question for you guys though... they tagged her ear... I hate that they did that to her, but is the damage done? Would removing it be more just more pain and trauma for her? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

So sorry for the long post.... thank you to anyone who read!
Heather
Juska

Re: Leia is home!!

Postby Juska » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:28 pm

That sounds awful. Glad to hear she's back in caring arms.

I agree with you about that yes, people have farms with farm animals - but you shouldn't just throw an animal who's been raised as a pet into a completely different environment like that. It can destroy them emotionally and physically. It's the same reason abandoning an exotic pet in the wild is a death sentence.

I don't know anything about ear tags, but if they're anything like human "ear tags", taking them out usually results in the hole closing up without issue ;)

I think they make a special tool to take ear tags out with.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Juska wrote:you shouldn't just throw an animal who's been raised as a pet into a completely different environment like that.

She didn't. She found a family to take it as a pet and that family moved and gave her to the farm instead of return her like they promised too. She felt horrible about it and has been trying to get her back since then.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:38 am

No, that's what I meant. I was talking about the lady that took her from that family and made her a farm animal. My wording could be seen as me saying it the way you thought, but I was agreeing with her icon-smile

I was agreeing with this part of her post: "Now let me just say... I have no problem whatsoever with raising animals (whatever species) as a business... I understand that for most people bonding with animals under those conditions is unlikely and honestly, inconvenient. My issue was that Leia had been hand raised in a back yard as a pet. It seemed almost cruel to me to just throw her out in a pasture with little goat social skills and treat her all of a sudden like just another number in the books."
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:00 am

Okay so you mean you in a general sense.
Missfit

Postby Missfit » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Pictures! everyone is getting along great! Couldn't be happier!

...that is, of course, besides the fact that Leia still wants to know why her chair shrank. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heather
Missfit

Postby Missfit » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:38 pm

Had to add in a few baby pics too...

The other reason I was asking about the ear tag issue is that it seems to have been done recently, and hasn't healed up all the way yet. It looks a little questionable as to infection, and the poor dear is incredibly distrustful of having her ears handled now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heather
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah you can buy a remover or since you think it might be infected have a livestock vet remove it and have him check out the wound.

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”