PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Happy Ending

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

suki'smom

Happy Ending

Postby suki'smom » Fri May 15, 2009 3:59 pm

This morning at about 11:00 I went outside and noticed a female white-tail deer right between my pasture and the neighbor's, about 100 feet away from me. I didn't think much of it as we have deer all over the place and it is not uncommon to see them during the day.

About a half hour later the doe was back, and she seemed stressed. Then Rusty (my horse) started blowing and acting alarmed. I saw a tiny little baby fawn fall out of the tall grass and into the horse pasture. I didnt want anything to happen to it but I didnt want to touch it either.

I heard hoofbeats and I looked to see Rusty racing towards the fawn, the momma deer took off, fearing for her own safety. I ran out into the pasture and screamed at him, but he didn't stop. A known small animal chaser I knew if he reached the fawn he would kill it. I ran as fast as I could and reached the fawn just as he did. I didnt want to touch it but he lifted his hoof to stomp it so I had no choice, I snatched the tiny baby from beneath him and chased him off.

With a tiny fawn in my arms I walked from the pasture and out of danger. I didn't see the momma deer anywhere. The little baby was a buck and had the prettiest little head and the biggest blue eyes I had ever seen (I don't know if the eyes were supposed to be blue but they were).

Momma came back several times but each time I tried to return the baby she took off. I even tried to leave it by itself where I could see it but she still wouldn't come get it. I was afraid that if she smelled people on the little buck she would either abandon or even worse, kill him.

I was thinking of where I had put the numbers for the wildlife rehabilitator when the momma came back again. The baby began to call and the momma came closer. I took him out to the woods again and backed off, way off. This time the momma walked all the way up to the baby without taking off. I watched nervously, hoping she would take him back and not kill him. Gee I wish I didn't have to touch him!

She bagan to talk to him and lick him, I breathed a big sigh of releif. I sat and watched momma and baby wander off in the woods until I couldn't see them anymore.
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Fri May 15, 2009 4:18 pm

AWWW! YAY, how cute
modernpets

Postby modernpets » Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 am

That was so nice of you! What a beautiful site to see momma and baby reunited!
Michelle
www.ohiomodernpets.com
10 Flying Squirrels, 1 Dilute Siberian Chipmunk, 2 Agouti Chipmunks 3 Short Tailed Opossums, 3 Spiny Mice, 6 Pygmy Mice, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hamster, 1 Parrotlet, 1 Bourke Parakeet, 3 Dogs, 3 Cats
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Sat May 16, 2009 7:42 am

:D I couldn't just let poor little thing get killed. He was so tiny, probably not more than 12 hours old.
~Mariah~
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat May 16, 2009 2:46 pm

dont worry next time you find a fawn it is ok to touch it if you have to. They do not abandon based on smell of people. Its a wives tale. You can also just leave the fawn without fear, the mother will find it. As you hear they will call to each other and they can find that baby from very far.

And they DO have blue eyes as fawns, aint it pretty? :bear
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 am

oh yes his little blue eyes were just gorgeous!
I am happy to hear that she would not abandon it because I touched it.
~Mariah~

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”