NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Old Age in Goats

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lionsniper

Old Age in Goats

Postby Lionsniper » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:07 pm

Anyone have a 9y old goat or older? Chiquita is my first goat, had her since she was 3 days old, she is now 9 years old. Just wondering what to expect with goats as far as ailing as they get older.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 pm

goats can live a bit longer then that. A doe that isnt having kids every year will easily live to 11-12 years old. If they are negative for CAE they should only get mild arthritis. Most goats die of kidding related problems, and castrated males usually die of urinary calculi. So a doe that isnt giving birth should last you a little while yet. Keep her up to date of her CD & T vaccine, watch for arthritis.
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks for your reply. She's never had a kid, maybe that is why she has done so well. She was given to me at 3 days old because her mother died while giving birth to her and her twin. The twin died also. So, she has just been a spoiled pet, no breeder and she is an only goat, plays with the dogs.

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”