Someone gave me a goat too...

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

zillahkatz

Someone gave me a goat too...

Postby zillahkatz » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:30 pm

About three months ago, a woman I'm an aquaintance with (it's a smaller town - most people know each other) told me they needed to find a home for their goat. They got the goat as a pet for one of her kids but turns out he's a Saanan and when he came back from winter pasture this spring, he was almost 200 lbs! The little boy couldn't handle him and both kids were going away all summer to their father's house.

Since I have sucker stamped on my forehead I took the goat (I had NO idea he was so big). Also my co-worker wants to backpack with the goat so he helps buy goat chow and takes him on walks. The neighbors walk him too! He gets to hang out in the yard of the cabin "off leash" so he can just run around too. He's VERY friendly, and has typical dog like goat behavior. A bonus too is that he's becoming friends with my horse.

"Fuzzy" is used to being tethered which is good because we move him around and he eats weeds, grass, etc. Before he was rarely moved and never had, goat chow, a mineral block or anything. Since having him, he's in much better shape. He is 2 years old and quite a character. I'll try to post pics of him soon.

Any advice as weird things NOT to feed goats, etc is welcome. I work at an independent "whole foods" type grocer so my co-workers save organic lettuce, kale, chard, apples, pears, melons, etc, etc that I feed to Fuzzy and the chickens and duck. Please let me know if there's certain produce Fuzzy shouldn't have!
- Stacey
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Oh yeah - he's a whether not a billy!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 pm

I would stop the grain ASAP. Wether goats get something called urinary calculi and its brought on by grain. Only girls in milk, pregnant does, and breeding bucks need grain. A safe alternative is alfalfa pellets and black oil sunflower seeds. Make sure you vaccinate him for CD&T, otherwise anything your horse could have he could too.
Goats are great, one of my favorite animals. :bear
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:31 am

The oat chow is a pellet with a little grain mix. I will talk to my friend who has 12 goats over the mountain ( less snow than here) and find out what she does. He definitely needed a huge nutrition boost when I got him. He looks a million times better now. We live in a very harsh climate - only a 50 day growing season, the nights - in the summer - get down to 35 to 40 degees and we have snow for usually, 7 months out of the year. That must make a difference in nutrition, no?
Let me know...
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:32 am

wethers never need grain. The black oil sunflower can give him the extra calories he needs, and even beet pulp is very good. What the grain does, is throws of the calcium phosphrus level in the urine causing stones. Does easily pass them but wethers have very very thin urethras. If they get a stone its a death sentance because their penis cant be pulled out an cathereterized like other animals. The surgery to remove them usually fails.

All they need is minerals, hay and in winter black oil sunflower seeds, alfalfa pellets and beet pulp. I live in the snow belt and have similiar weather. Never had a problem with keeping weight on them in winter.
http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/urincalc.html
http://rustynailgoatfarm.com/_wsn/page8.html

You may feed him tons of grain a day forever and never have a problem, or you can give one handful once in his life and he could get blocked. Every goat is different. I wouldnt risk it because they dont need it and there are safe alternatives. I know many people that have goats that got stones from very minimal grain, usually 1 cup a day.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 pm

That goat must be huge. Can't wait for pictures.
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Indeed, he is large - about 200 lbs. It can be be quite the chore to walk him. We've ordered a halter - much easier to use. My friend has two goats she raised from babies. I don't know what they are (forgot to ask her) but they are big but not as big as Fuzzy and have horns about 8 inches long. They are so bonded to her she walks them through Wilson (which granted, is not that big) without a leash. They listen like dogs when she calls. It's a funny sight!

I'll post pics soon. I have a few in the cabin with the goat, a very freaked out looking fox, and one of the dogs on the futon. I should take more pictures, maybe I'd make some money... :D :D

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”