PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Water buffalo

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Noahlady1

Water buffalo

Postby Noahlady1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Has anyone on here ever had a water buffalo as a pet? I've been offered a bull which is only 1 1/2 years old. The person says he is very gentle as are most water buffalos. They are only selling him in order to pay hospital bills. They have already sold the female. I've done some research on them and have read that they are gentle and love attention very unlike the American bison. If we get him, we would use him to ride and/or pull a cart. I can't find any info on how to teach them to be ridden or pull a cart. I know they are used alot in Asia to pull carts. We might also (if we get him) want to raise them. Do they stay gentle and rideable after they have been used for breeding? Does anyone have experience or know where I can get this kind of info? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 pm

I honetly don't know what they are like.

but, to me, they scare me. guess because of thier size and horns.

the ones I seen at my hope, use to really hit the walls pretty hard.
but, being confined didn't help.

I am sure some of the members might know more about them.

can you go where they are at now, and try to observe them?
maybe you can tell what their dispostion is like.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:20 pm

male livestock is never to be trusted. A bull water buffalo killed a man at the macon MO exotic auction. A bull is a bull, no matter the species. You can train him to do what you want, and he will do it, but they can turn at any time, some never do, many do. A 1 1/2 year old is still more or less a baby and will still be gentle. If you have experience with bovines then go for it, but an intact male is NOT a good idea as a first time animal. I have a zebu bull that is "sweet" but I do not pet him like the previous owner did as I want him to respect me, not gore me one day when he feels I may be a threat to his females.
I guess if you want him fo breeding I would keep him halter trained, but not make a pet of him. Training him correctly may keep his respect. No petting/loving on him. Never scratch the top of his head or face as that can trigger aggression. If you want him for more of a pet, if you really like his personality and would like to love on him. get him castrated asap.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:25 pm

lg,

I never thought of the intact ones.
I agree with you on that.

my very first steer(which I thought was a steer anyway) :lol:
was half and half the one side did not work.

he was an extrememly mean guy. i raised him from a very young calf too.

do you think the bufflalo noahlady is considering, could be fixed at that age? I thought that should be done at a very young age.

BB

Postby BB » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Around here there a lots of Buffaloes as pets. No problem at all. From what I've heard if they like it (the paddock they are in) they stay - if your neighbors looks better they just walk through the fence :lol:
So a waterhole is essential, and at least 5string fence, maybe electric. Otherwise they are nice pets. There was a story last week in our newspaper that this guy found a buff in his pool :shock: He got it out by offering bread rolls what makes me think it must have been a pet as wild ones would most likely attack...
BB

Postby BB » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:36 pm

I must have posted this photo before......
I left the hand in the photo to see how close they are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:52 pm

BB those are cool, we have a different type around here. They are a domesticated animal and not considered "wild" are those?

http://home.valornet.com/pcwdb/Water%20 ... 0Stock.htm
Most breeders only sell halter trained or bottle fed heifers because its just dangerous to bottleraise a male. They lose respect and one day could be deadly. The ones at Mt Hope are pretty scarey, I think the only things scarier is the Bison! Now that is a show, watching the bison go through the ring jumping ramming and pawing the ground :shock:
He isnt too old to castrate at all, they can be castrated by a vet at any age but no point in doing it once he is fully mature. It may not help if he gets aggressive so best to do it now while he is still immature. I would do it if I wanted him for a riding animal or pulling a cart.

Pat did you have a jersey? Those are supposed to be THE most aggressive breed when it comes to bulls. Funny just how sweet they are if castrated. Easily my favorite breed for a "pet"
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:26 pm

bb,

:shock: those horns scare me just looking at the picture :lol:

lg,
yep, forgot to mention, the half bull/half steer was a jersey.

your right, the castrated jerseys are great. that is what oscar is.

what is a bison? all I remember at mt hope, is seeing big horns, and big animals. the noise hitting those walls was scary too.

BB

Postby BB » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Well, they fall into the introduced species...some call them pests.. :roll: (and of course shoot them whenever they see them :twisted: )
Buffaloes are wild around here (Northern Territory), the one's in the pic are raised from calves and pretty tame. Sometimes they caught their horns between two trees and the owner had to go out with the chainsaw to cut the tree down to free them, the Buff would just stand there and let it happen, glad to be able to move on to eat grass. :)
Some people have them instead of cows as they are hardy and can cope with the climate better, there is also a live export market, I think to Indonesia.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:00 pm

bison = north american buffalo
Noahlady1

Thanks for all the replies so quickly!

Postby Noahlady1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Hey, thanks everyone so far. I appreciate the info. I will continue to investigate them. This one is a rarer blondish/brown with a white star on his forehead. IF we decide to get him, I know my husband would definitely want to ride him and have him pull a cart so would probably get him castrated soon. He wanted an American Bison after seeing a man ride one in a parade out West but after talking to some people who raise them for years, decided against that. We are participants of a local parade here and live out in the country with lots of sparcely populated back roads. I guess the pics you see of people in Vietnam who have theirs pulling carts, must have the ones they use castrated - unless they use the females. :?: Anyway, I will keep on researching.

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”