https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How should I plant grass in my pasture?

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

nicoeflein

How should I plant grass in my pasture?

Postby nicoeflein » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello,
I have a small, acre, "pasture" for my two African Pygmy goats, three Vietnamese Pot-belly pigs, and a pair of Royal Palm turkeys that I would like to plant. The pasture is currently wooded, and covered in countless trees and brush. The only problem I have is that there isn't any grass at all, only sparse vegetation and bare soil. I throw out handfuls of cracked corn for the turkeys, and the goats are always fat as cows from browsing, and the pigs are given ground corn pig chow, but I just thought that they would be happier with grass. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nic
Lasergrl

Re: How should I plant grass in my pasture?

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi,

your location is important. As long as it is wooded you wont get grass to grow well.
pig will root it up while it tries to germinate. You could have success with clearing some trees, and planting a hard grass like tall fescue.

What i would do in your situation, is to heavily plant perennial deer plot, if you can find shady mix even better. It will grow better, and be most appreciated by the species you have. Non of those particularly like grass anyways. You will want to keep them off of the area if you can while it grows, because one acre and four small animals may be enough to kill young plants. the turkeys would eat all the seed before it could grow. So basically in the spring I would pen them up out of there and plant the seed. I would keep them out at least a month.

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”