Lame goat

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

nicoeflein

Lame goat

Postby nicoeflein » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:02 pm

This year has had some problems, first a doe has a copper deficiency, but it better now, and now this. My beloved Blue Angora buck, a real sweetheart, suddenly went lame. :wall:
Yesterday he was active and running around, and this morning I found him curled up in a corner of a shelter unable to stand up. He is bright and alert, and occasionally bleats "contently" and tries to get up. He can't and when I lift him up his legs somewhat dangle there. He can move them, but is too weak or hurt to stand up. He will lift up his back legs, but only goes up to his front knees.
He doesn't have hot feet/joints and his legs aren't broken. He holds up his head and looks around, but can't get up.
He does live with a gelded mini donkey and 6 other goats, could he be hurt from the donkey? Maybe he has been kicked? icon-sad
Does he have laminitis? Or White Muscle Disease? Or maybe a deficiency of Selinium or Vit E?
Can I treat this without vet assistance? Any advice would be great, thanks for reading.
Lasergrl

Re: Lame goat

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:39 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is a disease called CAE.

CAE is a disease that is rampant in goats, and even in sheep under a different name. It can cause many symptoms, or none at all. When it doese cause a problem it usually manifests as extreme arthritis of the front legs. They often are in so much pain they walk on their front knees. There is no cure. Anti inflammitories can help some. It is contagious to other goats through bodily fluids but mostly through milk/colostrum.

The test for it is very cheap, you can get it done through biotracking for a few dollars. I would look into it if there is no improvement in a couple days. If you are breeding or selling goats, it is important to test for it because you CAN prevent it by bottlefeeding the babies as soon as they are born.

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/cae.shtml

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”